cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

California City for Thanksgiving

Moomba2002
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering if I could get some information on riding and camping at California City. I have past by it many times but have never ridden there, and our original plans for Thanksgiving fell through so now we are looking at options and it looks interesting down there. Thanks for the help and I look forward to the suggestions.
2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 4x4
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k hitch
2017 Columbus 383FB
ExtremeAire 150 PSI 100% Duty Cyle on board air w/4gal. tank

2003 Arctic Fox 1150 loaded except solor
18 REPLIES 18

24fb_freedom
Explorer
Explorer
jdmac1 wrote:
I was out there Wed-Sun, we had about 24 RV's in our group. As you stated the weather was great. We did a drive out to Ransburg Saturday and there were hundreds maybe over a thousand off road riders walking around. I would go back, it was a lot of fun.
I wish we could have stayed until sunday but we couldn't though, we rode out to ransburg on friday and there was lot's of fellow riders, it was a good trip though. We are planning on going out new years week. Can't wait!!

jdmac1
Explorer
Explorer
I was out there Wed-Sun, we had about 24 RV's in our group. As you stated the weather was great. We did a drive out to Ransburg Saturday and there were hundreds maybe over a thousand off road riders walking around. I would go back, it was a lot of fun.
2012 F350 Lariat DRW
20K B&W OEM Hitch
BlueOx Bed Saver
Pace Edwards Heavy Metal Roll top
Line-X Bed spray

2011 Stealth Toy Hauler RG3210
2015 Polaris XP1000 Fox Edition (2 seater)

24fb_freedom
Explorer
Explorer
how was your trip to cal-city? I was out there mon-fri and the weather was great or riding we all had a blast!!

Macs_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
Great info you guys. Thanks very much. I haven't been north that far yet and want to try to make some time this season to get up to Cal City, Ransburg, Ridgecrest,Jawbone, spangler, dove springs areas.
2007 Weekend Warrior SL2805
20505 Chevy 2500 HD Crew Cab 6.0/410 Gasser
2008 Polaris RZR 800 With +6 Long Travel
2012 Kawasaki KX 250F
1990 Kawasaki JS 550 Jet Ski

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
If you dive in off the #395 to Twenty Mule Team Road and you stage a mile or two in, off to the right you don't need a Cal-City permit. Rand Mountains those hills are where the found those two guys dead a few years ago they ran the rhino off and down the hill.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
The maps are in lieu of another permit that was required to ride in the Rand Mountains a couple of years ago. They required that you understand the map and buy a permit to ride in the Rands (hills behind Randsburg/Johannesburg) as there are many limited use areas and the tortoise preserve is intertwined in that area. I guess they finally realized the permit would not work.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

alarmin
Explorer
Explorer
There is a dump station off the main road, a couple miles down for Borax Bill park. I believe it's $5, but no one is there to collect (LEO's are there over major holidays). The Cal City permit (annual permit) is for riding, I buy the family pass(or $15 each ohv, - I think) which includes 4 ohv's, water and dump station and is $60 for the year. The BLM map is B.S., but required. They will make you sign a map and carry it when venturing thru BLM area. The map is free, but required. On busy holiday's, and other random days, they will have people at the entrance point's to the BLM area checking for your maps. No citation's, but they will make you fill out the maps on the spot, if you can't show yours.

Alex_F250
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Macs Dad They have a marked trail that takes you right into town where you can park your toys and go shooping and grab a bite to eat. Also there is a motocross track off of Chrysler rd. And on Holliday weekends at Borax bill park they have a mini vendors row.
2006 chevy 2500 HD
2007 weekend warrior LE3305
2006 honda crf250x (mine)
2004 suzuki 400 LTZ (mine)
2004 suzuki 250 LTZ (wifes)
2004 Yamaha raptor 80 (daughters)
2005 klx 110 (daughters)

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
alarmin wrote:
Dirtclods wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
Make sure you get a permit for each of your vehicles. There's a $15 permit fee to ride in Cal City.

http://www.calcitypd.org/OHV_Permit_App.PDF

Certain areas you don't need the permit.

You do need a permit for Cal City. Also, you will need to carry a map if you ride into BLM area. When you go to Cal City stop by Borax Bill park and you can get what you need (maps, permits, water)

What info about Cal City are you looking for?

What areas are you saying you need a permit for, and What you will need to carry a map if you ride into BLM area??
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

Macs_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
alarmin wrote:
Dirtclods wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
Make sure you get a permit for each of your vehicles. There's a $15 permit fee to ride in Cal City.

You do need a permit for Cal City. Also, you will need to carry a map if you ride into BLM area. When you go to Cal City stop by Borax Bill park and you can get what you need (maps, permits, water)

I like this (maps, permits, water)
One stop shop. What else do they have there. Is there a dump station or store close by ??
2007 Weekend Warrior SL2805
20505 Chevy 2500 HD Crew Cab 6.0/410 Gasser
2008 Polaris RZR 800 With +6 Long Travel
2012 Kawasaki KX 250F
1990 Kawasaki JS 550 Jet Ski

jdmac1
Explorer
Explorer
This is good info for newbies. I was not aware of the permit.
2012 F350 Lariat DRW
20K B&W OEM Hitch
BlueOx Bed Saver
Pace Edwards Heavy Metal Roll top
Line-X Bed spray

2011 Stealth Toy Hauler RG3210
2015 Polaris XP1000 Fox Edition (2 seater)

alarmin
Explorer
Explorer
Dirtclods wrote:
dedmiston wrote:

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:

AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

24fb_freedom
Explorer
Explorer
I go there as much as my job will let me,lol its a great place to ride, flat for the most part or there are some hills in the back area by camp "A" and camp"C", if you go there with a large group a ride into randsburg "ghost" town would be great, You can buy the permits along with getting fresh water at the Borax Bill Park so you dont have to come full of water, hope this helps