Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camper Castor Wheels

Nicholsfamily05
Explorer
Explorer
Good evening,
I have a 40' fifth wheel and when we go to our friends house we can't back up their driveway anymore since we purchased this camper.
I was thinking of installing some castor wheels to help the transition.
As we start to back the trailer up the bumper hits at 1 foot or 2 above the crack in the drive( see pictures ).

I'm not sure if this would work because of the angle as one side hits first before the other and I am unsure if it would cause to much stress on the frame.

Second issue I think I would have is that I can't put the right on the frame because of the way the bumper attaches to camper. ( see picture) The bumper has a price of metal, looks to be same as the frame, attaching it to the camper. I'm unsure if it could handle the stress of the camper.

As for the angle of the drive we aren't even sure if it is to steep once we are on it going up if it would hit my bed rails as well.

We used to go all the way to the top with our old 30' camper as there is not enough room on the road to park our camper for the time we are there.

Thanks in advance for any help.

ok it won't let me add any photos for some reason..... so ill be working on that
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Big Horn Crew Cab, SRW. Cummins Turbo Diesel Automatic 68RFE Trans
50 gallon diesel Transfer Flow tank with the Traxx 3 system.
2017 Sierra FLIK 5th Wheel
42' Front Livingroom, 15K
Hydraulic level up system
23 REPLIES 23

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
Can you lay some boards down to back the trailer over and raise it for the short transition distance?
’19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Personally I think having a 40' 5th wheel suspended between a set of castor wheels at one end, and the hitch at the other end is a really bad idea. Even for a short distance. JMO of course.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Nicholsfamily05
Explorer
Explorer
oh thank you for editing it. never had an issue before with it.

with the new truck and trailer it appears that the hitch sits deeper in the bed and the rails and underside of the camper are close. could be an illusion but still not sure.

after doing some measuring we think it would only need the wheels for about 8 inches and then should be back onto the axles.
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Big Horn Crew Cab, SRW. Cummins Turbo Diesel Automatic 68RFE Trans

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not that hard:

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not that hard:

Photo is too big, so I fixed it in the next post.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
In all honesty, if you're not sure and you're there looking at it, I don't think we'll have any better luck. 🙂

However I think castors on the back end of a 40' 5th wheel is probably a bad idea.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Nicholsfamily05
Explorer
Explorer
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=avptnn&s=8#.VWjlxUI-DeQ

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=v8k4g9&s=8#.VWjptUI-DeQ

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2uq20cx&s=8#.VWjpu0I-DeQ

apparently this the only way i can get pictures on this site.