cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carlisle HD G-rated tires 235/85-16

jonrjen
Explorer
Explorer
It is getting time to replace the tires on our 5th wheel. I am currently running LT E-rated tires rather than running ST tires. Yes, I know that this comment just made a few of you gasp at such a statement.

In my many years of 5th wheel rving I have never had a blow out running LT tires. However I can say that I have owned a trailer that has experienced two blow outs before I ever took actual delivery. Of course it was wearing OEM China made ST tires.

Anyway, back to the base of my post. I was talking to my tire dealer who mentioned that Carlisle has come out with a new ST trailer tire in the 235/82-16 size in a HD F-rated version. These are speed rated at 75mph, 12ply tires.

Does anyone have any first hand experience running these latest Carlisle tires? If so do you care to share any information?
2013 Wildcat 353LS (on of the few out there)
2013 Ford SHO
2013 F350 FX4 CC PSD
Good Sam Roadside Assistance (it's a good thing to have):B
15 REPLIES 15

jonrjen
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies, LT is where I will remain. History has provided me with a positive track record so I will take what I have learned and put it to good use.
2013 Ford SHO
2013 F350 FX4 CC PSD

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Rjdreyer wrote:
Think the trick is to buy about 1k to 2k lb capacity in excess of the GVWR on the tires, i.e. 12k GVWR, buy 14k worth of tires. Not sure of LT vs ST, guess ST supposedly stiffer sidewalls for those tight sliding turns we put them through backing up.

Guess I don't see your point, maybe on cheap China ST's, but I have LT235/85-16's on a 12,360# GVWR 5er. Currently about 9,300# on the axles at GVW of 11,500#. Tires have a capacity of 3,084# each, 12,168# total, more than enough to carry the full GVWR of the 5er. I see about no more than 10,000# on the axles.
That is a margin of 500# per tire, I trust the weight rating of a quality LT tire, far more than the stated extra capacity of the china ST tires.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The Carlisle HD was just released in 2016 so not much in the way of a track record is known. We'll know more about them if someone reports 4-5 years and 25k-35k miles.
Two year reports and 5k-7k don't tell us anything.

I wouldn't replace a quality LT E tire with any brand ST E or F or G tire unless the tires are running over loaded.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Rjdreyer
Explorer
Explorer
Think the trick is to buy about 1k to 2k lb capacity in excess of the GVWR on the tires, i.e. 12k GVWR, buy 14k worth of tires. Not sure of LT vs ST, guess ST supposedly stiffer sidewalls for those tight sliding turns we put them through backing up.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
jonrjen wrote:
4bearhug wrote:
jonrjen wrote:
It is getting time to replace the tires on our 5th wheel. I am currently running LT E-rated tires rather than running ST tires. Yes, I know that this comment just made a few of you gasp at such a statement.

In my many years of 5th wheel rving I have never had a blow out running LT tires. However I can say that I have owned a trailer that has experienced two blow outs before I ever took actual delivery. Of course it was wearing OEM China made ST tires.

Anyway, back to the base of my post. I was talking to my tire dealer who mentioned that Carlisle has come out with a new ST trailer tire in the 235/82-16 size in a HD F-rated version. These are speed rated at 75mph, 12ply tires.

nyone have any first hand experience running these latest Carlisle tires? If so do you care to share any information?

If you're having great success with LTs why consider going back to STs? What does the ST provide that you aren't getting with LTs? Is the weight rating the attraction? is the risk worth the extra weight?

I wonder the same thing to be honest!!!

If it price, figure out why ST's are cheaper.

I just put a set of Yokohama YK-HTX's with 3,042# capacity each, likely about 200# ea. less than ST, but which one you trust with your family's life! There are reasons that ST can't be put powered vehicles!!
My 5er has a 12,360# GVWR, which will likely mean I will never get over 10,000# on the axles, tires have a capacity of 12,168#.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

MrRetired821
Explorer
Explorer
I have had those tires on my DRV Tradition 5th wheel since 2014. Several long trips and many short trips. No problems, other than losing a little air between trips. Air to 95 which is max I think.
Fixing to put on a set of Hartland G rated 14 ply 235 85 16 next week for this summers trips. Got them at Discount tires for about the same price as what Sailuns are going for at Simpletire.
Have a friend who had the Carlisle 235-85-16 E rated and he had two blow outs this past summer on his 36 ft 5th wheel. He went to Michelin Ribs.
Smokey&Bobbye

jonrjen
Explorer
Explorer
4bearhug wrote:
jonrjen wrote:

nyone have any first hand experience running these latest Carlisle tires? If so do you care to share any information?

If you're having great success with LTs why consider going back to STs? What does the ST provide that you aren't getting with LTs? Is the weight rating the attraction? is the risk worth the extra weight?

I wonder the same thing to be honest!!!
2013 Ford SHO
2013 F350 FX4 CC PSD

dennis1949
Explorer
Explorer
I have carlisle tires no my camper for over two years. no problems and have 25000 miles on them.
It doesn't matter if you get st or lt tires they are all made in China
Dennis Carpenter
Decatur Alabama
2012 GMC 3/4 ton Z71 Diesel
2016 Forest River Blue Ridge. 3045 RL

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
4bearhug wrote:

^^^^^ What he said! Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

4bearhug
Explorer
Explorer
jonrjen wrote:

RockyMt
Explorer
Explorer
My Carlisle tires are over two years old- f rated 235/85-16. No problems

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using the Carlise Radial Trails (E rated, 87 mph) for two years and about 6000 miles with no issues
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Personally I had lousy luck with the Carlisle ST tires that came on our 2010 Fuzion. I've read that the new Carlisle tires are a better tire, but since there are other brands to choose from my thought is "Fool me once...".

Why would I want to run the risk with a brand of tire that I know has made bad tires when I can choose a brand of tire that is a known quantity? It's very possible that they are now making a good ST tire, but there are several brands that are known to make a good tire. Pretty easy choice to me.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reports have been posted about how good the new Carliles are. But, unless you were to change wheels those 12 ply tires are about worthless to you. Your wheels are probably rated to about 80 PSI, whereas 12 ply tires to achieve optimal load carrying capacity probably require 110 PSI. Get the picture?