cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cedar creek 2' of snow part two.

Edstravels
Explorer
Explorer
I live in the Bitteroot Mt and we are having a bit of snow and I became concerned over how much snow a Fifth wheel can hold without damage.I had 26" of snow and became concerned when the news said rain. I ended up using a pool telescopic rod and 8" scraper and with a brush on opposite side also a 12 ' step ladder.a polaris ranger to keep ladder stable and the kid next door. It worked great but left me wondering if it was worth it, how much weight was involved, should I do it again and when it gets how high?
6 REPLIES 6

marspec
Explorer
Explorer
I had to move once with about 2 foot of snow on the roof but I was living in the fiver at the time with outside temps in the 0-15 degree range. The inside heat melted some of the snow so the layer of water provided lubrication. A push broom was all that was needed to easily remove the snow, although I darn near froze in the process.
2013 F450
Towing 2013 Lifestyle 37RESL

GrandmasHome
Explorer
Explorer
Snow is an issue for sure, but Cedar Creek's are tough! My roof has been assailed numerous times, by acts of God and others. Still hanging in. I've called neighbors about other winter related issues, not being able to get online fast enough, or service just not available. But boy, do I appreciate all the great advice I've gotten on this site.
Most important, is keeping yourself safe. I viewed a satellite view of your mountain home and all I could see was snow and tall trees! Take care.
GrandmasHome

rtazz17
Explorer
Explorer
wkswenson wrote:
I use simple math:

If I tear the roof cleaning snow off - I pay

If snow causes a leak - Insurance pays
This is true.I hem and haw about removing snow at times but then possibly slipping and tearing room comes into play.Mine gets all the afternoon sun so even when its 10-15 degrees for the high I get melting from direct sunlight.What scares me is when theres a foot of snow on roof and it rains two inches on top of it

wkswenson
Explorer
Explorer
I use simple math:

If I tear the roof cleaning snow off - I pay

If snow causes a leak - Insurance pays
Walter & Donna Swenson
2013 Cedar Creek 38FL - Front Living, Trail Air
2011 Dodge RAM 3500 6.7 CTD DRW CC LB
Our Website - "A Work in Progress"

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
77 inches here in Detroit and counting, no issues. Would never consider trying to remove the snow, and it's never been a problem in years past...
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Snow weighs someplace between 7 and 20 pounds per cubic foot. Depends on how wet it is.

Just a guess, but a foot of snow may not be much of a problem for most roofs.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper