cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Checking Truck For Level?

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Is it safe to assume that putting a level on the truck bed rail when loaded would indicate how level the overall truck is riding?
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk
12 REPLIES 12

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Truck LOOKS level.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ETCrockett
Explorer
Explorer
mtofell1 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Park on flat ground. Stand back at the side, does it LOOK level???

Yeah.... I'm kind of in favor of this method. I guess the question is what is trying to be achieved by having the TV perfectly level? I understand the 5th to TV and bed rail clearance but I can't see a problem with a TV being a few degrees one way or another off level. Certainly, the trustworthy eyeball test Cummins eludes to should be close enough.

I agree about the bed clearance and the FW towing level. However, you want to also avoid excessive squating on the TV when loaded. I have always been told that when towing from the bumper hitch that excessive squat puts a strain on the drive shaft and cause major problems. I just assume the same would be true when towing a FW.
Eric & Andrea
2016 Jayco Pinnacle 38FLSA
2009 Ford F450 DRW

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
relax. just do a visual...that will do it. and even if it isn't there isn't a lot you can do unless you have air bags.
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Yeah.... I'm kind of in favor of this method. I guess the question is what is trying to be achieved by having the TV perfectly level? I understand the 5th to TV and bed rail clearance but I can't see a problem with a TV being a few degrees one way or another off level. Certainly, the trustworthy eyeball test Cummins eludes to should be close enough.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Parked on flat ground, I put an 8', 2x4 on the bed rail and a long level on the 2x4. The rake over 8' is about 2.5" when loaded.

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
Super Dave you are correct, but as also suggested check that you are parked on a level surface.
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
Goal would be to evaluate whether pin weight put truck in rear end squat below level from empty, ass high position. I don't think that involves fender well clearances unless I'm not understanding how that pertains to truck being level when loaded.

I assume that the fender wells are the same off the ground when the trucks level. I thought all MFG built them that way. What else would you use to check level? Mine's 3" higher in the rear using the fender well when empty.
Using fender measurements takes the guess work out. Don't have to be on level ground.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Goal would be to evaluate whether pin weight put truck in rear end squat below level from empty, ass high position. I don't think that involves fender well clearances unless I'm not understanding how that pertains to truck being level when loaded.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Place level on bed rail with trailer NOT connected.
Note have much 'rake' your truck has
Then do same with trailer connected

Measure front tire to fender with trailer not connected AND connected
Much difference?

Shouldn't be with dually and 3200# wet pin (16K GVWR/20%)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Lynnmor wrote:
Super_Dave wrote:
Is it safe to assume that putting a level on the truck bed rail when loaded would indicate how level the overall truck is riding?

No, that doesn't consider the surface you are parked on. Best to measure and record the empty truck fender opening height at each wheel, then compare that with the loaded measurements. Of course you might want to bring the rear down more than the front.

With a 4' level, you could check the surface, then compare to the bed rail. :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:

No, that doesn't consider the surface you are parked on. Best to measure and record the empty truck fender opening height at each wheel, then compare that with the loaded measurements. Of course you might want to bring the rear down more than the front.