cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

cleaning the outside of the 5'er

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
After a couple of years being dormant, our 5'er has developed oxidation problems. I have been removing the peeling decals and everywhere where the decals were, the "finish" is still shiny and pristine looking. But everywhere else developed the oxidation issue. I saw an "oxidation" remover from Meguires for fiberglass boats and campers. Which I was told would work from the salesclerk. Although I did not feel comfortable with his answer. The other option is I have a pressure washer and would that work as well. (It would be a lot Quicker for sure.) But I am not sure it would be the correct way of doing it. I would NOT use it on the roof. Just the sides and front Cap. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W
23 REPLIES 23

Etstorm
Explorer
Explorer
Try a foam cannon.
It attaches to your power washer. Several good foaming soaps out there

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Try Meguires. Itโ€™s not that expensive and it works for me.

They all work to restore some of the shine, and remove some oxidation, but not all. Did you remove the graphics and get it all to match , no shadow where the graphics were ?? I believe thatโ€™s the answer the OP is after .

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's virtually impossible to remove decal "ghosts," even with a product like Ghost Off.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Try Meguires. Itโ€™s not that expensive and it works for me.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
We removed our decals last year and after a few hours of trying to remove to oxidation myself I gave up and called a local RV shop in Washington, their quote was over $4,000. To me that is a we don't want your business quote. Last winter in Arizona I had it power buffed and waxed for $320 so now the oxidation is gone but you can still see where the decals were removed.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
md_procouple wrote:
After a couple of years being dormant, our 5'er has developed oxidation problems. I have been removing the peeling decals and everywhere where the decals were, the "finish" is still shiny and pristine looking. But everywhere else developed the oxidation issue. I saw an "oxidation" remover from Meguires for fiberglass boats and campers. Which I was told would work from the salesclerk. Although I did not feel comfortable with his answer. The other option is I have a pressure washer and would that work as well. (It would be a lot Quicker for sure.) But I am not sure it would be the correct way of doing it. I would NOT use it on the roof. Just the sides and front Cap. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Try as I might on my previous fifth wheel I never could get the oxidation off to match where the graphics had been ,if that is what you are asking ?? I was just going to eliminate a few of the peeling graphics, but getting the oxidation off to match was not working with the products I was using. I finally replaced a few of the graphics, on others I just trimmed them back a bit. It got to the point trimming them I was getting a shinier ring around the graphics where they had been ,and I couldn't wax off the oxidation to match .

I know it can be done ,but using a couple different products ,plain old rubbing compound did not get the job done, nor a couple others that I don't remember ,but was advertised to remove oxidation.

I have watched a couple youtube videos on removing decals ,and oxidation on the front caps, and it was quite a process. Something I am not willing to do. Good luck with the project .

8ntw8tn
Explorer
Explorer
Last year I used a waterless spray and wipe product from Ibiz. Literally sprayed it on and wiped it off. It did a wonderful job of eliminating the oxidation. Hope this helps.
'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Another option is the ZEP SYSTEM.
It does a great job removing oxidation. Use the wax of your choice, not everyone likes floor wax on their RV.
Preparation is the key to a good wax job.

Red Max Pro is no longer available. Zep is the same product.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pressure washing will not remove oxidization. The Mequiars products are excellent. I would use their marine oxidization remover on the gelcoat and then use Wash Wax All twice a year (it's a waterless wash, wax and protectant). The Wash Wax All is a much quicker and easier process for waxing the unit - it was developed for the aviation industry (I use it on the RV, the truck and the car).

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015