cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comparing Customer Service and Quality

Laurak2007
Explorer
Explorer
We are currently shopping for a 5th wheel toy hauler...upgrading our Heartland TT before the upcoming college football tailgating season. Like most couples I'm the "shopper" while my husband is the "this one works, let's get it" type. This means I need to do as much research as possible to narrow the choices down ahead of time. After reading a lot of the threads, I've learned a lot. However I have just a few stones left unturned.

I initially found options with Heartland Edge and Road Warrior, Keystone Raptor, Jayco Seismic and Seismic Wave, Grand Design Momentum, and Forest River XLR Nitro. After reading some of the threads, I have learned that Heartland and Keystone's customer service are not the greatest compared to Grand Design, but I haven't read much about Forest River and Jayco. Can anyone fill me in on your experiences with their customer service?

Next question would be, who's going to give me the best bang for my buck? We are looking for 1 1/2 bath models with a rear party deck and sliding glass door for the garage. My husband would really like a side deck, but I'm worried about the weight and length of models including that feature.
19 REPLIES 19

Y-Guy
Of the ones you listed, Heartland wouldn't be on my list after some of the stories of other members have posted with their Cyclones. Sounds like you've had issues too. The industry is always in flux so what was good 2 years ago might not be today, getting a Gilligan Friday Rush RV is the one to avoid, but it's a guessing game.

The Grand Design seems to be doing a good job taking care of customers, but they still have had some issues too.

Two factors you can control though are doing a thorough PDI - we have lists we can all share that help with then when your ready. The key is to do the PDI before you sign for acceptance, once you sign you own it and its under warranty. If you do it before, the dealer is motivated to get things fixed to make the sale - you can also then decide if you want it.

The other factor is finding a good dealer. Beyond a good deal is a dealer that will fight for you and not treat you like a number. I hung out in the service department when I first bought from the dealer I've since bought from three times. I had a good buying experience with them, but when I went to buy our motorhome a few years ago I found the service guy and talked to him. He knew me enough to know he didn't want me buying something I was going to have issues with and he gently steered me away from one unit.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Laurak2007
Explorer
Explorer
LakeN wrote:
Although Jayco offers a two year warranty, their customer service is despicable!! Had a NEW unit that was factory defective and leaked causing delamination of an entire sidewall. Jayco replaced roof, sent it back to dealer with somebody else's dirty shower curtain!! From there nightmare escalated. {Mod Edit, text removed}. Managed to get out from under unit after a long, hard struggle. There is a hierarchy in Jayco customer service and we were stonewalled at every level!

Mod Edit, text removed as per forum rules, "Posts are not allowed in which a local, state, or federal consumer action board and/or legal counsel is/have been involved. This includes posts related to future, ongoing or past lawsuits."

Good to know!! Sorry that happened to you. We had a very similar issue with our Heartland a year after buying it. It spent 8 months at the manufacturer getting repaired. Ugh...at least they made it right in the end.

Laurak2007
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you 1971duster340!
I understand the variables...that's what's overwhelming me to be honest. As long as there isn't anything from that list that you would say "definitely not worth the money", than I'm good. 🙂

LakeN
Explorer
Explorer
Although Jayco offers a two year warranty, their customer service is despicable!! Had a NEW unit that was factory defective and leaked causing delamination of an entire sidewall. Jayco replaced roof, sent it back to dealer with somebody else's dirty shower curtain!! From there nightmare escalated. {Mod Edit, text removed}. Managed to get out from under unit after a long, hard struggle. There is a hierarchy in Jayco customer service and we were stonewalled at every level!

Mod Edit, text removed as per forum rules, "Posts are not allowed in which a local, state, or federal consumer action board and/or legal counsel is/have been involved. This includes posts related to future, ongoing or past lawsuits."
'16 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 25B
'14 Ford Focus Titanium Toad with Blue Ox tow system

1971duster340
Explorer
Explorer
I've been impressed with Jayco, but never tested em with a major warranty issue. They were good about sending out of warranty info (wiring diagrams, interior decor specs, frame drawings) when I needed it. Too many variables to answer who will give you the best deal.
Greg
N5LFH
2007 Chariot