cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering moving to Grand Design Reflection 307MKS

stationaryfullt
Explorer
Explorer
I've had a 2008 Jayco Eagle 328RLS now for 8 years and have it completely paid off. Since it's getting a bit long in the tooth in terms of impending major appliance failures, as evidenced by the fridge dying, I decided to start looking for a replacement. Last week I stopped by a local RV dealer and came across the Grand Design Reflection 307MKS. Being a fulltimer with a full desktop PC, I immediately fell in love with it. It ticks all the boxes in terms of:

• Having a nice size built-in desk
  • Plenty of kitchen counter space
  • Being light enough to be towed by my 1989 Chevy Dually
  • Under 35 feet long

When I spoke to the salesperson is where I started to not be pleased. The dealer was claiming a $62,000 base price, and that he "talked his manager down to" $49,000 and can give me $7,500 for my existing camper. I feel like it's still a little high. I'm hoping I can negotiate having them install slide toppers/awnings over all the slides and putting a dishwasher in the island, but am I asking too much, or not enough?

Honestly, I paid asking price for my 1-year old Jayco when I bought it used from a different dealer. I probably could have negotiated it down lower, but I was naive then...

Thanks for any help and suggestions offered!
15 REPLIES 15

jdb7566
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2017 307MKS and like it a lot. Dishwasher, maybe. Slide toppers, not on the curb side slide if you have the second awning. All in all, we're happy with our choice.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with others that the dealer is low balling you on your TT. We had a dealer offer us 9k for our '06 5er when the new one spec'd out for 90K. Sold the '06 locally and dealer still was high on final price. Bought out of state and saved 9 grand PLUS sold old 5er for more than what he was willing to give me. Told him that he was still high, his reply, "OK thanks for calling". Then few months afterwards, he still had same coach on his lot that was a year old asking more than what we bought a year newer one w/ more options for. Wouldn't hurt like others have said too to check w/ other dealers to see what their CLEAN DEAL price is. Get that as low as possible, THEN mention a possible trade. As for the dealer you are dealing w/ now, depends how hungry he is to move things out.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would think that after Harvey and Irma it is going to be a sellers market for a while depending on your location. If you go used I'd be very wary of any title with an issue date since Harvey/Irma. Some states still do not transfer things like "salvage" over when they issue titles.
Puma 30RKSS

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
Depending upon the options available, I see these MSRP from 56-61. we are also interested in this model. I would expect to get one of these out the door for less than 40. That is no trade -- I'd email several dealers around the country to find what they would do on a cash deal/no trade. The rule of thumb is at least 30% off MSRP. If nothing else, this would give you an idea of what the dealer is offering you on your trade -- usually -- nothing. Be an educated consumer.

stationaryfullt
Explorer
Explorer
I ended up countering with $37,000 plus my trade and them installing slide toppers over the slides. I didn't bother with the dishwasher since that's something I can do myself relatively easily. Hopefully they'll accept the offer and I can make this work.

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
This site might help you calculate a fair price.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think $35,000 plus your trade is a fair deal, but I don't know about those extras.
You can always get more for yours on CL or RV trader.

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at them also 35000 is a stretch but try it

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
If you are currently fulltiming in an RV park, do you have any neighbors who may want to buy your unit? You may be able to sell it yourself for more than you could get from the dealer. Sounds like you have time to explore that.

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
Is the 307mks plumbed for a dishwasher? If not, I could see where that would be a very labor intensive project as plumbing has to be run to a grey tank, electricity added and plumbing for the water supply. I'd want to make sure a dealers service dept is up to thst task. Many service departments have a hard time greasing bearings correctly.

I don't have any idea what your trade is worth. Have you researched that? I can tell you that our dealer gave us $9000 on a 2005 Cougar 245 fifth wheel in 2015. And I know trade in allowances are all a shell game too. Your trade is 3 years newer and a larger fifth wheel than ours was too.

In your case it sounds like you are getting low balled on the trade and very little off MSRP.

stationaryfullt
Explorer
Explorer
Effectively, he was offering it for $41,00 after the trade-in, but I knew it sounded high. As I was trying to get out of there, he grabbed his buddy to try out the "salesman Jedi mind tricks" to get me to buy on the spot, which included giving me another $1,000 for my trade-in. I knew it was still high and I wasn't ready to buy anyway, so I walked out.

Would countering with $35,000, adding the slide toppers and dishwasher, plus my trade-in be a good move? At retail prices, 3 slide toppers plus installation should come close to 2 grand. A dishwasher installed would be another $500 or so. Of course, their cost for parts and labor would be lower, but would probably not count towards a loss in commission, which of course the number the salesman is looking for.

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
According to the GD app which provides MSRP pricing, the base price on your unit is $45,493, Plus $6,300 in mandatory options and $2,513 for the mandatory 12cu. Ft. refrigerator for a total of $54,306. There are other smaller options that add to the price but nothing I see that would add up $62,000. That's a dealer made up MSRP. Most everyone agrees that 25% off MSRP is a given, with others doing 30% or better. I would expect you should be able to buy that for $41,000 (assuming low ball of 25% off) - give or take. No love from that dealer.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Ok just had to ask. If you are comfortable with a 5er and its towing traits no real reason not to upgrade. Quick check of RV Trader for that unit shows a range of prices from a low of 45K to a high of 61K.
As you said, your not a newbie anymore, so you know that dealer add ons and fees are a huge pert of the issue. What did your dealer have on those?
Everything is negotiable including the transportation and documentation fees, work them all. I guarantee the dealer is working all those numbers.
You can replace a roof AC and a couple of tires for the extra $43,000 he wants, make him earn it.

stationaryfullt
Explorer
Explorer
I do mostly stay put, but once or twice a year I'd like to go out for a trip. My current trailer is a travel trailer. I'm moving up to a 5er because I was already technically overweight pulling my Jayco with my Suburban, which meant I couldn't add any slide-outs.