cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Considering these 4 FWs - Opinions wanted

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
So, here are 4 FWs I'm considering, with my comments. Any opinions are appreciated.

KZ Durango 1500 D284RLT - 800 lbs lighter GVW and almost 3' longer than my Komfort (longest of these 4); KZ has excellent rep for quality, from what I've read; largest holding tanks of these 4; most expensive, by far; 2 year warranty

Jayco Eagle HT 27.5RLTS - 1,350 lbs lighter GVW and about 20" longer than my Komfort; much smaller black tank (not great for boon docking); good quality rep, according to the forums; mid-priced; 2 year warranty

Crossroads Cruiser Aire CAF27RL - < 100 lbs heavier GVW and only about 8" longer than my Komfort; there seem to be more quality issues with Crossroads, according to the forums; price comparable to the Jayco; 1 year warranty

Crossroads Cruiser Aire CAF28SE - 340 lbs heavier GVW and about 20" longer than my Komfort; same concerns about Crossroads' quality; price between the Jayco and KZ; 1 year warranty

Anybody with suggestions for similar FWs of other brands? Any comments on these 4? Money is a concern so the KZ is a long-shot, though I do like it a lot, especially the tank sizes. My biggest issue with it is that damn black front cap. It's =sunny= in AZ! Personally, I do like the Jayco because of its reputation and its weight, though the black tank issue does bother me. Jayco will not share schematics on the plumbing, so I don't know if there might be room for a slightly larger tank, once it's out of warranty. They certainly won't entertain a custom tank.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member
30 REPLIES 30

nevadan660
Explorer
Explorer
11 years in Northern Nevada we were due for a change because of weather (COLD) and I like to camp / fish year round. Pyramid Lake is one of the best Cutthroat trout lakes in the world (20-30lbs range). The 2003 30 foot travel trailer was o.k. but not adequate for all season. After reviewing Fifth wheels in trailer life magazine for years and visits to our local RV dealers (Grand design, Keystone and Northwood MFG.) I bought the ARTIC FOX 29T by Northwood MFG. and am glad I did. The Quality is very noticeable. I could pretty much live in any climate. With all the options included the 51k tag was well worth it. Probably the last RV I need. Towing with my 2005 Duramax is a breeze. Chris
2005 CHEV-DURAMAX-HD2500-CREWCAB-4X4
2015 ARTIC FOX 295T FIFTH WHEEL

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco isn't what it use to be. My vote is KZ.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

PEISteve
Explorer
Explorer
We owned a Jayco for 7 years (2008) with zero problems. I went into a Crossroads dealership because we really like the layouts, and when I told the sales person what we had, he said sorry I can't compete with Jayco quality.
2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab w 6.7L Cummins
2013 Dutchman Denali 324LBS

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
GPG52! wrote:
Hi Iaknox, You have seen my previous response on the "regular vs. lite weight" forum We enjoyed the Durango KZ 1500 but moved up due to.

"I have owned both a Durango 1500 series and Cougar 327RES. Both worked great for us. Here are some things we noticed with the lite unit.
- Walls are thinner... which means less insulation
- The framing was based on the box configuration vs. having evenly spaced wall studs. I.E: framing around the perimeter of the box, around the door but then large gaps between studs
- limited amount of pull outs and the pull outs were not as deep
- some models have less hanging cupboard space as the walls have less framing
- oven was small... although the stove surface had three burner.. the oven interior height was shallow and would not fit standard cooking pots restricting its use.
- and my PET PEAVE the electric awning was anchored in the wall skin only and not in a stud.... first year we were caught in a freek storm which tor the awning arm away from the wall... this compromised the awning reducing it to a fair weather awning going forward.

My 2c worth... good luck.
GPG

Thanks, GPG. More questions to ask. I'm really working on the DW to take a trip to IN and touring several factories, so I can see for myself. The awning issue was with your Durango? Makes you wonder why they can't add a stud at each end to anchor it, if for no other reason.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
handsome51 wrote:
laknox wrote:
So, here are 4 FWs I'm considering, with my comments. Any opinions are appreciated.

KZ Durango 1500 D284RLT - 800 lbs lighter GVW and almost 3' longer than my Komfort (longest of these 4); KZ has excellent rep for quality, from what I've read; largest holding tanks of these 4; most expensive, by far; 2 year warranty

Jayco Eagle HT 27.5RLTS - 1,350 lbs lighter GVW and about 20" longer than my Komfort; much smaller black tank (not great for boon docking); good quality rep, according to the forums; mid-priced; 2 year warranty

Crossroads Cruiser Aire CAF27RL - < 100 lbs heavier GVW and only about 8" longer than my Komfort; there seem to be more quality issues with Crossroads, according to the forums; price comparable to the Jayco; 1 year warranty

Crossroads Cruiser Aire CAF28SE - 340 lbs heavier GVW and about 20" longer than my Komfort; same concerns about Crossroads' quality; price between the Jayco and KZ; 1 year warranty

Anybody with suggestions for similar FWs of other brands? Any comments on these 4? Money is a concern so the KZ is a long-shot, though I do like it a lot, especially the tank sizes. My biggest issue with it is that damn black front cap. It's =sunny= in AZ! Personally, I do like the Jayco because of its reputation and its weight, though the black tank issue does bother me. Jayco will not share schematics on the plumbing, so I don't know if there might be room for a slightly larger tank, once it's out of warranty. They certainly won't entertain a custom tank.

Lyle

Have you taken a look at the Lifestyle 5th wheels. I have a 2006 Carriage I bought new. Lifestyle is a carriage without the name Carriage on it. Lifestyle hired all the engineers and employees of carriage .Carriage folded not because they were not selling 5th wheels. Just had bad management handling the money. I have been very happy with mine. If I was going to buy another one. I would be looking at the Lifestyle 5th wheels. You have quality on the outside and quality in between the walls

Yep. Very nice rigs, but Lifetyle and Alfa are both just too damn big for me, among other things. I simply don't want a FW that requires a 1t dually.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

GPG52_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi Iaknox, You have seen my previous response on the "regular vs. lite weight" forum We enjoyed the Durango KZ 1500 but moved up due to.

"I have owned both a Durango 1500 series and Cougar 327RES. Both worked great for us. Here are some things we noticed with the lite unit.
- Walls are thinner... which means less insulation
- The framing was based on the box configuration vs. having evenly spaced wall studs. I.E: framing around the perimeter of the box, around the door but then large gaps between studs
- limited amount of pull outs and the pull outs were not as deep
- some models have less hanging cupboard space as the walls have less framing
- oven was small... although the stove surface had three burner.. the oven interior height was shallow and would not fit standard cooking pots restricting its use.
- and my PET PEAVE the electric awning was anchored in the wall skin only and not in a stud.... first year we were caught in a freek storm which tor the awning arm away from the wall... this compromised the awning reducing it to a fair weather awning going forward.

My 2c worth... good luck.
GPG
GPG ๐Ÿ™‚
2014 Ford F250, 6.2L, 4.30 Ratio, 6 speed
2014 Cougar (by Keystone) 327 RES

handsome51
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:

Lyle

Have you taken a look at the Lifestyle 5th wheels. I have a 2006 Carriage I bought new. Lifestyle is a carriage without the name Carriage on it. Lifestyle hired all the engineers and employees of carriage .Carriage folded not because they were not selling 5th wheels. Just had bad management handling the money. I have been very happy with mine. If I was going to buy another one. I would be looking at the Lifestyle 5th wheels. You have quality on the outside and quality in between the walls

rmalik1
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
rmalik1 wrote:
here are a couple things I have to have, there are more but....

important imo

Hung walls
frame size and steel thickness
no osb

Then what the wife likes.

Sorry, "osb"?

Lyle

U trying to make me write Oriented strand board. lol
2012 Cedar Creek 36RE w/ Level Up
B&W Turnover w/ 18k Companion Hitch
08 Ford 350 Lariat DW PSD Crew Cab Long Bed 4:30

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
rmalik1 wrote:

important imo

Hung walls
no osb

Sorry, "osb"?

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

rmalik1
Explorer
Explorer

important imo

Hung walls
no osb

2012 Cedar Creek 36RE w/ Level Up
B&W Turnover w/ 18k Companion Hitch
08 Ford 350 Lariat DW PSD Crew Cab Long Bed 4:30

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Gsport wrote:
laknox wrote:
jffnkrn wrote:
We have never had one of those but - - - I recently made a purchase I was un happy with. Now on to a different coach. not sure of the $$$ you plan on spending, but take a moment and check out eh Grand Design. That is what we are ending up with. Taking delivery on it next week!!! Good luck & Be Safe ! !!

Have looked at all the GD models. Nice rigs, but too many "don't likes" about both the Reflection and Solitudes.

Lyle
id like to hear about some of these "don't likes" you have about the Grand Designs. I've had my Solitude for over two years and am totally pleased with it..

Solitude is simply size. Smallest one is way, way too big for my truck. Can't afford both. The 2 small Reflections just don't do anything for me. I don't like the rear sofa on the either one, the island on the 29 and the theater seating does zero for me. I like to be able to move my chairs around, if need be. The standard Reflections are also too heavy for my truck.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

Gsport
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
jffnkrn wrote:
We have never had one of those but - - - I recently made a purchase I was un happy with. Now on to a different coach. not sure of the $$$ you plan on spending, but take a moment and check out eh Grand Design. That is what we are ending up with. Taking delivery on it next week!!! Good luck & Be Safe ! !!

Have looked at all the GD models. Nice rigs, but too many "don't likes" about both the Reflection and Solitudes.

Lyle
id like to hear about some of these "don't likes" you have about the Grand Designs. I've had my Solitude for over two years and am totally pleased with it..

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
ChopperBill wrote:
All good trailers(but the last J Eagle I looked at must have been built by amateurs), however I'd spend that money on a higher end used trailer.

I'd consider it, if I could find one. The KZ is a new model for 2015, so highly unlikely. Not happy to hear that about the Jayco; I thought they had a better rep than that.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
ford truck guy wrote:
I have found that the KZ dealers are more than willing to work with you on the price...
As far as the front cap goes.... IF its a 2015 or 2016 , I believe that they may have started using automotive paint and clearcoat ??...

Off their website - โ€ขPainted front cap*

Not sure If you were concerned about the fade or the heat , Or both ??

I have been a big fan of KZ since 2008

I just want to =see= the model I'm interested in, and that's proving hard, like with the Crossroads. I'm really not a fan of the black trim on the entire Durango, but especially on the front cap. I live in AZ, and it gets HOT here if you're in the sun. Why make it worse with dark colors?

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A