cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Considering these 4 FWs - Opinions wanted

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
So, here are 4 FWs I'm considering, with my comments. Any opinions are appreciated.

KZ Durango 1500 D284RLT - 800 lbs lighter GVW and almost 3' longer than my Komfort (longest of these 4); KZ has excellent rep for quality, from what I've read; largest holding tanks of these 4; most expensive, by far; 2 year warranty

Jayco Eagle HT 27.5RLTS - 1,350 lbs lighter GVW and about 20" longer than my Komfort; much smaller black tank (not great for boon docking); good quality rep, according to the forums; mid-priced; 2 year warranty

Crossroads Cruiser Aire CAF27RL - < 100 lbs heavier GVW and only about 8" longer than my Komfort; there seem to be more quality issues with Crossroads, according to the forums; price comparable to the Jayco; 1 year warranty

Crossroads Cruiser Aire CAF28SE - 340 lbs heavier GVW and about 20" longer than my Komfort; same concerns about Crossroads' quality; price between the Jayco and KZ; 1 year warranty

Anybody with suggestions for similar FWs of other brands? Any comments on these 4? Money is a concern so the KZ is a long-shot, though I do like it a lot, especially the tank sizes. My biggest issue with it is that damn black front cap. It's =sunny= in AZ! Personally, I do like the Jayco because of its reputation and its weight, though the black tank issue does bother me. Jayco will not share schematics on the plumbing, so I don't know if there might be room for a slightly larger tank, once it's out of warranty. They certainly won't entertain a custom tank.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member
30 REPLIES 30

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
MFL wrote:
Here is my free advice Lyle. It would seem that you had your current FW for quite a while, and will likely keep the new one for many years. I would get the larger Cruiser, even with the extra weight, or the Jayco, due to the floor plans. If you really would like the KZ, get it, as the extra cost will be forgotten over the years.

You don't want to buy a second choice, due to weight, which can be dealt with, or because of cost, if you can stretch that out.

Be sure it is THE One, that your wife wants!

Jerry

Thanks, Jerry. The problem is that there just aren't =any= of the KZ or Crossroads in AZ to look at. I've seen a couple of the Jaycos, so have a sense of what I'm looking at. There is exactly ONE KZ dealer in the entire state... There are a couple Crossroads, but they are just about a day-trip to get to; either Tucson, Anthem or Glendale, but none of them have either one I'm interested in. Starting to make me wish I'd gotten my private pilot ticket back when my dad would have paid for it. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

I have found that the KZ dealers are more than willing to work with you on the price...
As far as the front cap goes.... IF its a 2015 or 2016 , I believe that they may have started using automotive paint and clearcoat ??...

Off their website - โ€ขPainted front cap*

Not sure If you were concerned about the fade or the heat , Or both ??

I have been a big fan of KZ since 2008
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
All good trailers(but the last J Eagle I looked at must have been built by amateurs), however I'd spend that money on a higher end used trailer.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Here is my free advice Lyle. It would seem that you had your current FW for quite a while, and will likely keep the new one for many years. I would get the larger Cruiser, even with the extra weight, or the Jayco, due to the floor plans. If you really would like the KZ, get it, as the extra cost will be forgotten over the years.

You don't want to buy a second choice, due to weight, which can be dealt with, or because of cost, if you can stretch that out.

Be sure it is THE One, that your wife wants!

Jerry

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Just seein' if anyone else wants to weigh in, here. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
jalichty wrote:
We have an HT 26.5 RLS and have enjoyed it for the two seasons we have used it so far. Vary easy to tow, even with our boat behind the FW. Other than a couple of warranty issues, it's been a very nice FW. Only gripe is about the swivel rockers in the rear of the FW. In order for the slide to come in, the driver side chair has to be moved. The rear part of the FW is about six inches to narrow to allow the slide to come in with the chair in the normal position. Fortunately, the chair is pretty light so we just pick it up and move it so we can get the slide in. You might check the 27.5 to see if they have rectified this situation. Even with a factory delivered weight of 7,272 pounds, there is plenty of carrying capacity before going over the limit of 9,950 pounds. Also, we have found that the black tank works fine for us on our week-long trips during the summer when we are "dry" camping, not boon docking.

Thanks, John. The 27.5RLTS is the one I'm eyeing. I'm used to having to move my swivel rockers in my Komfort, so that's not a huge issue.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
2112 wrote:
I have gone from a Coleman to a KZ to a Keystone and now back to a KZ. I have been Very pleased with KZ.

I don't doubt it, but that $10-15k more that I'd likely pay, is a large factor. Also, there is exactly 1 KZ dealer in AZ, so that's another issue.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Ryan*Elli wrote:
We had a Sunset Trail (Crossroads) TT and had zero issues. The fit and finish was great in the unit. I haven't seen any issues or concerns with any Crossroards products.

Thanks, Ryan. Good to hear good things about Crossroads after hearing some not-so-good about them. I'm just trying to decide if I can live with the weight, which would mean some mods to my truck on top of the FW.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
We have an HT 26.5 RLS and have enjoyed it for the two seasons we have used it so far. Vary easy to tow, even with our boat behind the FW. Other than a couple of warranty issues, it's been a very nice FW. Only gripe is about the swivel rockers in the rear of the FW. In order for the slide to come in, the driver side chair has to be moved. The rear part of the FW is about six inches to narrow to allow the slide to come in with the chair in the normal position. Fortunately, the chair is pretty light so we just pick it up and move it so we can get the slide in. You might check the 27.5 to see if they have rectified this situation. Even with a factory delivered weight of 7,272 pounds, there is plenty of carrying capacity before going over the limit of 9,950 pounds. Also, we have found that the black tank works fine for us on our week-long trips during the summer when we are "dry" camping, not boon docking.
John A. Lichty

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
jffnkrn wrote:
We have never had one of those but - - - I recently made a purchase I was un happy with. Now on to a different coach. not sure of the $$$ you plan on spending, but take a moment and check out eh Grand Design. That is what we are ending up with. Taking delivery on it next week!!! Good luck & Be Safe ! !!

Have looked at all the GD models. Nice rigs, but too many "don't likes" about both the Reflection and Solitudes.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

Explorer II
Explorer II
I have gone from a Coleman to a KZ to a Keystone and now back to a KZ. I have been Very pleased with KZ.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
To help you decide on what RV to buy you could go to www.rvknowhow.com and read Joe and Vickiโ€™s suggestions and/or download their e-book `RV Buyers Homeworkโ€™, which walks you through the process of choosing the best RV for your needs, selecting the right floor plans and features, determining the RVโ€™s cargo-carrying and towing capacities and evaluating its livability. (Nov-Dec Highways, pg. 21)
RVtravel.com and the Better Business Bureau have a DVD that covers the same subject
(http://rvbookstore.com/shop/detail.aspx?p=710&m=2) and Chuck Woodbury has an ebook with similar advice.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

SH
Explorer
Explorer
Already looks like you have done some research on these rigs. Buy the one that the DW likes best!
2001 Alpenlite 35RK
2007.5 Chev LMM Duramax/Allison
BD Variable Vane Turbo Brake
TST 507
2010 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic Red Hot Sunglo ๐Ÿ™‚

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
We have never had one of those but - - - I recently made a purchase I was un happy with. Now on to a different coach. not sure of the $$$ you plan on spending, but take a moment and check out eh Grand Design. That is what we are ending up with. Taking delivery on it next week!!! Good luck & Be Safe ! !!

Ryan_Elli1
Explorer
Explorer
We had a Sunset Trail (Crossroads) TT and had zero issues. The fit and finish was great in the unit. I haven't seen any issues or concerns with any Crossroards products.
2014 Cougar 29RBS(Kizzy)
2015 F250 FX4 6.2
Ryan, Elli, and kids
with Holly the Mini Schnauzer