cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Considering TPMS for my fiver

dedmiston
I'm thinking about buying a TPMS system for my toy hauler. I don't want to jump into it blindly though, because the systems aren't cheap and I'll have to pay a few extra bucks to have my rubber valve stems replaced first.

So my questions are...

1. How secure are the sensors? How often do they get stolen?
  2. Do they only work when you're moving or can you read your cold tire pressure before you depart?
  3. What's the best brand?
  4. I have a long bed truck and my fifth wheel is 44.5" long. Will the signal reach that far or do I need something to boost the signal?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230
28 REPLIES 28

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^^^^^^^Very true, the TST system does not have speedy notification of signal loss. An hour is about right.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Campntwins wrote:
Just returned from a 1500 mile trip with our new TST 507 internal sensors. The tire person who installed them didn't install the repeater, he thought we wouldn't need it. Twice we lost communication with a left rear sensor on an interstate when passed by an 18 wheeler. The TPMS alerted immediately and was easy to re-sync by placing monitor near window. We are installing the repeater before next trip. The TST PSI was consistent with our tire pressure gauge. It was interesting watching PSI and temp increase.

We've been RVing for 18 year and have endured a multitude of blowouts. The TPMS is another tool to help us as we travel but we still need to watch speed, watch weight, maintain tires correctly and buy tires appropriate for our RVs and vehicles.

The fact the TST system will not alarm a lost signal for one hour the passing 18 wheeler was probably only a coincidence.

Campntwins
Explorer
Explorer
Just returned from a 1500 mile trip with our new TST 507 internal sensors. The tire person who installed them didn't install the repeater, he thought we wouldn't need it. Twice we lost communication with a left rear sensor on an interstate when passed by an 18 wheeler. The TPMS alerted immediately and was easy to re-sync by placing monitor near window. We are installing the repeater before next trip. The TST PSI was consistent with our tire pressure gauge. It was interesting watching PSI and temp increase.

We've been RVing for 18 year and have endured a multitude of blowouts. The TPMS is another tool to help us as we travel but we still need to watch speed, watch weight, maintain tires correctly and buy tires appropriate for our RVs and vehicles.
2015 Montana High Country 305RL
Ford Powerstroke 4x4
Texas Aggies - Gig'em

danking49
Explorer
Explorer
I had a TST 507 system on my travel trailer for one trip and returned it. It worked great in the driveway and on the road; until it rained when 2 of the 4 sensors failed. Checked the sensors after the first day on the road and all 4 had a lot of corrosion in the battery compartment. Cleaning out the battery compartments with WD40 and replacing the batteries (for $20) got it running for the remainder of the 1500 mile trip; but my confidence was zero. Had to duct tape one of the sensor covers back on because the machine screws they use had stripped the plastic case they go into (should be either self tapping screws or a metal insert for the machine screw). Still looking for a reliable system.

Hunter11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been using the TST507 system for a couple of years now and so far have been happy with it.
2017 Chevrolet 3500 4DR LTZ DRW LWB 4X4 D/A
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4DR
2016 DRV Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

Gunship_Guy
Explorer
Explorer
We had TST on our previous 5th wheel and it worked well. Bought a new set with the new style monitor for our current travel trailer and it is also working well.

No complaints.
2017 Weekend Warrior (by The RV Factory)
2013 Ram 3500 Longhorn LB DRW 4x4 Aisin 4.10

Previous:

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 41'
2006 DRV Mobile Suites 38'
Volvo 770

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Timay wrote:
I see the Pressure Pro is about double the price of TST...why would that be?

Tim

Read the comments about other system's problems. And length of time they have been used.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
I have Truck Systems Technology and love them. I even use mine on rubber valve stems. Recently I have switched to high pressure rubber valves stems which are stronger because I can't find a metal valve stem to fit my OEM Jayco aluminum rims. I love the piece of mind they give me in my travels. I don't use a repeater as some have suggested. I have a regular cab, long bed truck and a 34 foot 5ver and have had no issues. Truck Systems even sent me replacement parts free of charge two years after they sold me the system.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

justme
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer in tire sensors because they are much more accurate for temperature. When bearings start to act up that it is a necessity and can save you from burning up an axel or worse. Their batteries will out last tire replace that is recommended by tire mfg's.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
attuco wrote:
I tried the TPMS system sold by Discount Tire when I put the new Maxis tires on. Lasted about a year. Waste of money IMHO.

Ya get what ya pay for!..:R

Still using my Pressure Pro - purchased about 5 years ago.
(It only measures pressure, not temperature)

Four sensors on my SRW pickup, four sensors on the 5th.

I remove the sensors when I'm not towing.

They still work fine! (But - I think it could be new battery time - anytime, LOL)

When I'm towing - I leave all the sensors on - never had one stolen.

Yes, you can read all (each of) the individual tire pressures going down the road.

I did purchase a repeater (goes inside the trlr) - although I forgot to plug it in a couple of times, system worked fine without it.

IMO - DO NOT purchase a system that goes *inside* the tires, which could be what discount Tire sold the poster above.

My opinion - don't leave home without a monitoring system..:W

On edit: You could economize and only buy sensors for the trailer.
I'm sure you have seen posts where someone didn't know they had a flat on their trailer until another driver alerted them to the problem.

Then, if you desire, add sensors for your tow vehicle later.
Just make sure the system you purchase has the capability for what you may wish to add.

~

bogart661
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using the Tire Minder system for more than 5 years and have had no problems with it. The new systems come with a signal booster, which I added to mine to increase the signal strength.
Vinnie and Chris
2013 2WD Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD Crew Cab Short Bed Duramax/Allison Reese R16 Slider
2014 Crossroads Cruiser Patriot CF305SK

Timay
Explorer
Explorer
I see the Pressure Pro is about double the price of TST...why would that be?

Tim

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have had the Pressure Pro system for 9 years. I pull a boat behind my 5th wheel so I added a repeater to avoid any loss of signals from the boat trailer. The system has been very reliable and I have had only 1 sensor fail in all this time. I have not had any lost sensors or theft. The monitor will read the pressures when parked or stopped so I can check pressures after my morning walk around before a trip.
As for the "best" system I, like everyone else, believes theirs is best.
You need to do the research as you are and decide for yourself.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
TST here also for 5 yrs. Most of the time, it receives signals with no problem. But on occasion it will take a while to pick up a sensor(s), or lose a sensor(s) temporarily while driving. The only way to tell is that the pressures and temps remain static for long periods. Recently after a short time on the road I had one sensor showing much higher temp and pressure than other 3. First thought was tire problem. Stopped and checked. Soon realized that sensor was the ONLY one actually monitoring properly. Others started some time later.

35' 5er with crew cab long bed truck. And I mount it low on the windshield so that the monitor sits just barely above the dash. That may be the problem. Just bought a repeater to try to eliminate that issue.