cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cracks in end cap

Zigpep
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, we have a 2005 Nuwa and recently paid to have it transported 400 miles. We just noticed 2 areas at the front under the front end that have 2 to 3 inch diameter spider web cracks and fairly deep, alout 1/4 inch. They are at opposite ends one to left and one to right, both 35 inches from midline. They are at the front at the rounded edge as it goes under the RV. First what could have done this, second what can we do for repair? My husband was thinking epoxy glue but is there something better? Very disappointed ad these were not there befor transport.
Thanks zigpep
10 REPLIES 10

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
If it is white you might consider repairing it with Marine Tex. I've had good luck with it repairing fiberglass and SMC on Jet Skis.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
What the others are saying. I'm thinking these were fairly light impacts, just enough to crack the surface, but not nearly enough to do internal damage. If that had happened, you'd have some big holes underneath, not just the cracks. I also second the call to Kansas RV Center and a boat (or Corvette) repair shop.

I'd also file a claim with the towing company and report it to my insurance. Yeah, it's a claim, but it might be better to have them fight it out with the towing co. and not you.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
If they are impact cracks, I would check with a boat repair place to have the fiberglass fixed rather than using some glue. The last thing you want is moisture getting in behind the fiberglass. You could send pix to Daryl Dennis at Kansas RV center and ask his opinion of whether frame damage is likely. He is the head of the service dept there at the former factory and is very knowledgable about their construction. The transport person or company should be paying....

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Zigpep wrote:
That actually looks more like the issue. The cracks look more like impact cracks than stress cracks. Should we check anything else? Any chance anything else damaged? Thanks

It may not help hearing this but IF impact cracks are what happened I would be very happy with that vs a broken frame. If impact damage is what happened I dont think it would have damaged anything else. Again, the thing that will tell you more about the whole issue is putting it on a truck.

Zigpep
Explorer
Explorer
That actually looks more like the issue. The cracks look more like impact cracks than stress cracks. Should we check anything else? Any chance anything else damaged? Thanks

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I'd lean toward what Laknox is saying. Connect the rig to a truck and watch the pin box and front of the FW for movement as you lower it onto the truck. My assumption is that Nuwa is a well built rig and that the frame didn't break. Hitching up to a truck should tell you more.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Zigpep wrote:
Hello, we have a 2005 Nuwa and recently paid to have it transported 400 miles. We just noticed 2 areas at the front under the front end that have 2 to 3 inch diameter spider web cracks and fairly deep, alout 1/4 inch. They are at opposite ends one to left and one to right, both 35 inches from midline. They are at the front at the rounded edge as it goes under the RV. First what could have done this, second what can we do for repair? My husband was thinking epoxy glue but is there something better? Very disappointed ad these were not there befor transport.
Thanks zigpep

Well +/- 70" is about the width of a typical truck bed and you're saying that you have 2 cracks at 35" off the centerline... If there wasn't a lot of bed rail clearance, the driver could have gone over a hump and shoved the back of his bed up into your FW. Wouldn't be the first time that's happened to a FW, that's for sure. Either that, or it rocked, or twisted, enough to hit both corners. Wouldn't be the first time =that's= happened, either.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Zigpep
Explorer
Explorer
Also just noticed that the cracked areas line you with the front jacks?

Zigpep
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your reply. What is the best way to check for frame failure? This Rv is new to us. Had it for 2 months. Cracks were not present before we had it moved. Thanks.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Could be an indication of a frame failure. Hopefully not but probably want to take a look around the pin box and front cap area...or have it inspected.
If it is a frame issue, that will have to be addressed (welded and reinforced) before you repair the cracks in the skin...

Again, hopefully not.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro