cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Curt fifth Wheel Hitches

rkassl
Explorer
Explorer
Going from a short bed with a Pullrite Super Glide to a long bed where we don't require a slide hitch. Does anyone have any comments regarding the Curt Hitch, good , bad or otherwise? Any first hadn experience will be appreciated.

Thanks!
2015 Montana 3440RL Legacy Edition
PullRite Super 5th 20K hitch
Morryde Pin Box
Dish Tailgater and King Tailgater Satellite Systems
2016 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 SRW CC full bed
116 REPLIES 116

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
h82crash wrote:

The other well known property in physics is the item is only as strong as the weakest part. Both hitches are held to the bed with 4 pins, correct?

...and the pins and feet on the B&W are bigger...Curt Q16 to !8k Patriot
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

h82crash
Explorer
Explorer
I don't own either, but the fact one has "only" 4 bolts is a non issue. Strength comes from clamping force and there is plenty of surface area between the parts that are clamped by the bolts. If they are the high grade metric bolts or even grade 8 SAE, they're good to 140,000 psi. The parts are held in place by clamping friction not shear strength of the bolts.

The other well known property in physics is the item is only as strong as the weakest part. Both hitches are held to the bed with 4 pins, correct?

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Here are pics I took of an inlaws truck. I helped him hitch for the first time. This is the 25K Curt/RAM hitch. Yes I am a B&W FanBoy but the Curt is no way as HD or easy to use as the B&W RVK3600.

The slide bar with the little pc you flip over and pin to hold the slide bar in place seems a bit flimsy

There are only 4 bolts holding the head in place. Does not look like they are grade 8. 25K on 4 standard 1/2"bolts would not cut it for me.

If you have a Curt and like it that's great. I am just relaying what I saw with first hand use so people in the market can better decide on what hitch to buy.

It's a nice looking hitch. Thanks for showing. 25k seems pretty HD to me. I'm visiting my parents right now and his Curt 20k slider has similar bolts. His isn't as pretty as those in the pics. His has 30k miles towing and is about 5 years old. Could use some new paint. The bolts are 8.8 metric. I have never heard of a Curt dual jaw hitch failure and looking at the mechanics of the jaws they are seriously secure when closed.

I don't understand the ease of use comment, they both require you to back into the hitch with the jaws open. They both have four way rotating heads.

Anyhow..I am glad you have confidence in your B&W hitch. I hope it never gives you a moments trouble.

Fiver for me would probably be hitched by a B&W, but I have no issues or worries with my dad using his Curt 20k. It may not be as beefy as your B&W but it's plenty strong.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Texas_Bohunk
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Curt Q24 with slider base installed in my 2013 Ram 2500. Used it to pull my 40' FR V-Cross over 10k miles with no problems. Sold my Ram and bought 2015 F350 with factory 5th wheel package. Went back to Curt and purchased their factory base and bolted my head to it. I love the new setup. If I had to I would buy another.

Grady23
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Curt E16 Slider complete. Used 2 times $350. I'm located in Maryland. I have the same hitch in m 2500HD
Retired
2010 Cougar 318SAB
2012 Chevy 2500HD Ext Cab Duramax w/Allison
Grady Gulfstream w/twin 150'S
We're Just getting started

Dutch___Di
Explorer
Explorer
Love the reply! You go Dan! ๐Ÿ™‚ Sums it up doesn't it. :B Hugs, Di
danrclem wrote:
lawnspecialties wrote:
Wow. And to think I thought it got heated here when someone compares two different brand trucks. Now we're scrapping over who has the best hitch.

:B

Well I tell you what mister, My truck and my hitch are both better than yours. And another thing, you,.....,you,........... You got more than one truck? Oh well, I gotta go. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2015 Western Brown Pearl single cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisin Transmission, Pace Edwards auto rolltop cover, DeBoe Slide Step, AMP Side Steps.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Susp, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Auto Leveling System, TST TPMS

Dutch___Di
Explorer
Explorer
danrclem wrote:
lawnspecialties wrote:
Wow. And to think I thought it got heated here when someone compares two different brand trucks. Now we're scrapping over who has the best hitch.

Well I tell you what mister, My truck and my hitch are both better than yours. And another thing, you,.....,you,........... You got more than one truck? Oh well, I gotta go. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2015 Western Brown Pearl single cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisin Transmission, Pace Edwards auto rolltop cover, DeBoe Slide Step, AMP Side Steps.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Susp, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Auto Leveling System, TST TPMS

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
lawnspecialties wrote:

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Learjet wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

There are only 4 bolts holding the head in place. Does not look like they are grade 8. 25K on 4 standard 1/2"bolts would not cut it for me.

To be fair, I believe they are the Metric equivalent of Grade 8

That would make sense. Even so 4 bolts to hold 25k seems marginal.

I agree... I'm not sure what grade 8 is rated for but that doesn't look inspiring.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
When comparing the weight of the two hitches, both the Q24 and the RVK3600 are pretty equal (within a pound).
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Learjet wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

That would make sense. Even so 4 bolts to hold 25k seems marginal.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here are pics I took of an inlaws truck. I helped him hitch for the first time. This is the 25K Curt/RAM hitch. Yes I am a B&W FanBoy but the Curt is no way as HD or easy to use as the B&W RVK3600.

The slide bar with the little pc you flip over and pin to hold the slide bar in place seems a bit flimsy

If you have a Curt and like it that's great. I am just relaying what I saw with first hand use so people in the market can better decide on what hitch to buy.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer

Dutch___Di
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a curt hitch when we bought our 2014 Ram. Even though we had been RVing fulltime for 17 years,we really struggled with it for several months. I finally got to the right dealer and he told us it was a bad top piece. He ordered a new one, installed it and we've loved our hitch ever since. We pull a 38' Carriage with it. Hugs, Di
rkassl wrote:
Going from a short bed with a Pullrite Super Glide to a long bed where we don't require a slide hitch. Does anyone have any comments regarding the Curt Hitch, good , bad or otherwise? Any first hadn experience will be appreciated.

Thanks!