cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

day one with new montana; need furance help

steiny93
Explorer
Explorer
Brought a brand new Montana 3711 home yesterday; its cold outside (20 degrees) so we had the furnace on. All was well in the world; until this afternoon I walked by and stuck my head inside and noticed no heat.

Its the domestic digital multi zone TSTAT; its lit and says FURN but no furnace. TSTAT set to 70 degrees; inside temp in the 40's. Powered everything down but still had power in the 5er. The disconnect seems to only kill the inverter. Removed leads from battery's still no joy.

The furnace doesn't spool up at all; its like it isn't getting any power. Checked the 12 volt fuse label furnace and its good. From the TSTAT I can tell the fan to run (the air moving one not the ignition fan in the furnace) and that works as expected.

Also checked the stove to see if it had lp; all good in the world.

Called the dealer; not much help at all; appoint set for Tuesday for the day old rig.

Anyone have any ideas in regards to the furnace? Is there something silly I'm missing with the TSTAT? The only thing I can think would be if the fuse was mislabeled and a different one is blown. Otherwise by killing power and restoring power it should have reset the board if the furnace ran into an air bubble in the lp line for example.

My intent is to get it lit so the wife can load out her new rig with the stuff out of the last one then let the dealer fight with it next week.
2000 Volvo 610
2013 Cyclone 3950
30 REPLIES 30

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
steiny93 wrote:
its fixed

issue was that the sail switch wire was to long and it managed to get wrapped up in the fan (totally a manufacturer issue) and disconnected itself

untangled the wire; secured it within the assembly and all is right in the world

Ludicrous. One can only hope that warranty stuff like this gets reported back to the factory for corrections. DAMN! The alarm just woke me up. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
steiny93 wrote:
its fixed

issue was that the sail switch wire was to long and it managed to get wrapped up in the fan (totally a manufacturer issue) and disconnected itself

untangled the wire; secured it within the assembly and all is right in the world

Thanks for posting the update!

Jerry

steiny93
Explorer
Explorer
its fixed

2000 Volvo 610
2013 Cyclone 3950

steiny93
Explorer
Explorer
took a video of the issue; here is a http://1drv.ms/1H1k3UMlink

basically it just doesn't start; its like its dead

dealer has it now; we'll see what comes of the visit
2000 Volvo 610
2013 Cyclone 3950

Jerry_B
Explorer
Explorer
blkdodge wrote:
I have s suburban furnace and if the LP tank get low the furnace won't fire. It will try 2-3 times but no heat then I have to reset stat. LP furnace won't work but the stove and cooktop but runs will light. Check that dealer may have not fill LP tank very. Full.

X2. Been there done that.
Jerry B
Mobile Suites 36TK3

richfaa
Explorer
Explorer
It is asking to set the time as you can set the time the A/C will go on it that particular mode.(zone one and zone two can be different times) Remember the furnace only works in Zone one but the A/C works in both zones. I really think the problem is in the set up of the Tstat...Ask me how I know. Been there done that.

Select the time we set our to go one at 10AM.
2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

steiny93
Explorer
Explorer
richfaa wrote:
Montana big Sky 2013,Furnace only works on zone one and that is normal.
Try this
Press program twice
press mode until heat OR cool appears(Select one or the other)
Press program again
press mode till heat or cool appears
press program one more time.

that is how ours works...

if I do the above the tstat will go into program 2 and will be blinking at the time selection step

I can get the tstat set when not in a program and I believe its asking for heat (believe this as if I go into air condition mode it'll fire up the ac). but the furnace doesn't start (its completely silent; no pre-run up on the ignition fan or anything)
2000 Volvo 610
2013 Cyclone 3950

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
They (all brands) have been known to come from the factory with a splice not spliced or a connector not plugged in.

Not as often as some people would try to bit=h about, but it does happen.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

richfaa
Explorer
Explorer
Montana big Sky 2013,Furnace only works on zone one and that is normal.
Try this
Press program twice
press mode until heat OR cool appears(Select one or the other)
Press program again
press mode till heat or cool appears
press program one more time.

that is how ours works...
2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

steiny93
Explorer
Explorer
Gib3633 and others were spot on in regards to the multiple zones and multiple types of heat / cooling

in my scenario the furnace only operates on zone 1; zone 2 is only cooling and fan

i did all the reset options (pwr cycled the tstat / disconnected 12 and 110 power / removed the furnace cover and tripped the reset at the furnace).

watching the board when the tstat calls for heat as well as when power is cycled to the furnace i'm seeing zero light action on the board. pretty sure either the furnace isn't getting any power (but all the fuses on the 12 volt side are good) or the board is toast. i could have tested for power at the board but it was cold and dark and at this point i had started to care less ๐Ÿ™‚

thx for all the intel and suggestions; i'll post an update after it is fixed; my guess is its a board on the furnace or something preventing pwr from getting to the furnace.
2000 Volvo 610
2013 Cyclone 3950

N7SJN
Explorer
Explorer
Circuit board as well. Tech told me that the new board which he installed has a diagnostic feature that can be used to trouble shoot a furnace problem, hope I never have to use that feature.

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
Just back from our first trip in our 2015 Montana Mountaineer and last night had the same issue..... Furnace only works on zone 1, no issues after that. Good luck, hope that's your problem.
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.
2015 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 356TBF
2005 Chevy duramax dually

Gib3633
Explorer
Explorer
Racine96 made an interesting response.
So now when screen lights up note what zone you are in. Then scroll mode button through AC, HeatPump , Furnace, and then OFF. Set at off. Then with Zone Button change Zone number . Then change Mode button to furnace. With a little luck problem solved.

Racine96
Explorer
Explorer
You're speaking of a 2015 Montana with a Dometic thermostat. Do you have 2 AC units with heat pumps? IF so, if like our Mobile Suite there are 2 zones and the furnace will only work on zone 1. Just sounds coincidental that you might have same problem learning curve as Mobile Suite owners. If that would be the case dealer may not even be aware not that that should absolve him from caring. Just a thought. When we picked up our new Mobile Suite no one including the Rv personal or other Mobile Suite owners new how to use that Dometic thermostat to turn on furnace. I doubt there will be anything actually wrong. Good luck.

This why I was trying to say. It is interesting that in your Mobil Suites is on Zone 1. In my Columbus, the furnace is controlled only in Zone 2. Maybe he needs to play with the thermostat. There might not be something wrong.