cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

detailing trailer

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
I just used a new product to me on my rushmore. f11 topcoat seem to be doing an great job you could see the shine coming out,but when I looked from a different angle it all looked smeared . You could see a bit of oxidization in the sides not to bad but the smears on the side is crazy. Looks perfect from one angle like a brand new trailer then from the other angle terrible . Could it be the mixing of a wax or something like that. I know crazy question
11 REPLIES 11

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Djgodden, not to p in your cornflakes but what is the plan when that FLOOR polish made for use INdoors gets enough sun & starts to yellow, chip & peel?
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

djgodden
Explorer
Explorer
I just finished doing my Montana. Badly oxidized 2005. used Mr. Clean scubbies to remove most oxidation, then bar keepers friend to smooth and remove all remaining oxidation, rinsed, re-rinsed and then rinsed again, then 5 heavy coats of Zep Wet Look Floor sealer. Looks brand new, well... besides the lousy decals Montana put on in 2005.
2012 Ram 2500 4x4 Lariat Longhorn 6.7 CTD HO, Edge Evo CTS, Extreme Tow/Haul brakes, aFePower Diff cover, LL 5000 bags, 285/70R17, Reese Q20 w/slider. 2005 Montana 2955RL w/400w solar, Renogy MPPT, 4 x 6v @ 12VDC (450AH), 3000w Inverter, King VQ4100.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover will get the bugs off the front cap pretty good. Smells like it has some Varsol or Kerosene in it. I just returned from a 2,000 mile trip complete with southern bugs of all species. Bugs came off pretty good just soaking with water a few minutes then using Meguiars yellow car wash soap and the typical WalMart blue brush. I try to keep lots of wax on the front, even if its only spray on wax just before a trip.
My boat gets the 3M wax as well. The Meguiars Premium Marine products are very good. My boat stays in the garage except during actual use, which isn't near enough.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Half the battle is using good quality product.

I launched my 1996 boat yesterday. It will spend the next 4-5 months in the sun & in salt water. Not likely it will see many rinse offs other than what the rain provides & that is no help to the sides. The hull looks like just out of the mold, almost. Every year, only once a year, it gets the two step process using 3M cleaner wax followed by Mequires Flagship wax.

The trailer gets the same treatment with the same products only the front cap gets the attention maybe twice a year. Those acidic bugs will eat into anything & the ability to wash off the front is nowhere near as frequent as I would like.

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

Durhamcutter
Explorer
Explorer
Where we live the Love Bugs are pretty bad this time of the year and if you don't get them off as soon as you can they will pit the paint and decals, if you have this problem we have found a product that works pretty well the bugs just slide off and don't stick, it is call ICE by Turtle Wax , I have been using it this season and have had good success with it .

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I'm fighting it right now. The sunny side (south) looks terrible, to me anyway. Other side is fine. I think the bad side is either/or/and cooked on rain/dew water spots or chalk residue from roof cleaning. I've tried all in one polishes, cleaner waxes, cutting compounds with a Porter Cable, Barkeepers Friend, and not much help. What has worked a little is Deep Woods Off. Yeah it's crazy.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
The lack of gloss when looking at a particular angle could be because of a very thin gel coat and the surface is therefore not smooth giving you a non reflective surface.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

jjj
Explorer
Explorer
on my fiver one side gets badly oxidized. I used bar keepers friend first then used a good cleaner wax and a lot of it come off. But it slowly returns and has to be redone eventually.I have the older type fiberglass sides. My trailer is a 05. You might want to give this a try.
2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you used a pure wax or sealant product all you did was cover the oxidation.

For best results it is a multi step operation. The oxidation has to be removed as good as possible first. This does not mean using a cleaner wax & calling it done.

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
No its not faded bad at all just noticed a big improvement when I di that one area

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
If it's badly faded and oxidized, it's soaking up the product that you are applying, giving you a smeared blotchy appearance. I had a fiberglass boat that was faded and it wouldn't take wax until I buffed the surface with a cutting compound first. It's a lot of work and unfortunately not a lasting fix. It was faded again within a month. Good luck.