cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dip pan won't drain

phreespirit87
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all and thank you for taking your time to read and possibly answer this.
(my first blog post so bare with me :h )
Ok so my husband and I just purchased a new Crusier Stryker. We love it! But when we pack up to move we have to pull the drawers out and put a towel in the bottom of the fridge cause the water isn't dripping from the drip pan out into the hose. There is no blockage in the hose going outside. What I'm thinking is when the ice melts it's possibly to much and doesn't allow air to get threw to let water pass, the water just blocks the hole to drain out. My question is, has anyone ever had the same issue and how did you remedy this problem. It's not a huge deal but just more of an inconvenience more than anything.

Thanks
8 REPLIES 8

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
phreespirit87 wrote:
The year that we have owned it other than moving, the fridge hasn't really been off..

Two suggestions:

There is no good reason to turn it off when moving....unless maybe it's a really old one with a real pilot light instead of automatic ignition. Or you have no propane in the tank maybe.

Attach a small length of string or yarn above the drain hole and run it down the hole. This will encourage efficient drainage.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
phreespirit87 wrote:
It's a RV fridge... the only time it's an issue is when we move from place to place. While it is use it is fine, not really any drainage needed/ going on. We use our camper more than a typical person, my husband travels for work so we are in it 6-9 months of the year. The year that we have owned it other than moving, the fridge hasn't really been off..

Well.........
Then manually drain the drip cup in outside compartment as part of your break camp routine, have a section of extra hose that you can attach to OEM hose and stick it out the lower vent slots

OR

JUST RUN THE FRIDGE while in transit.

Seems you only have issue when you turn it off and ALL the ice melts

Course leaves me wondering WHAT ICE?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

phreespirit87
Explorer
Explorer
It's a RV fridge... the only time it's an issue is when we move from place to place. While it is use it is fine, not really any drainage needed/ going on. We use our camper more than a typical person, my husband travels for work so we are in it 6-9 months of the year. The year that we have owned it other than moving, the fridge hasn't really been off..

Y-Guy
Is this a residential fridge or typical RV style fridge? I ask since the residential style are becoming more common and might help in answering your question.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
The little catch pan in outside compartment should be close to burner area.
Idea is for the little bit of water to evaporate from heat generated when running fridge.

Sound like you are not running fridge long/often enough so catch pan is being overwhelmed and drain flow stops

Remedy ...........you will need to dump catch an as a routine based on how you use fridge
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

phreespirit87
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it's connected. I used my small shop-vac a couple months ago (on end of hose outside) and the water comes out fine but once the the little drip collector (not the pan) is full it just over flows. I have tried to pour water down, it's a pain in the a$$ cause of the tight space. But same thing happens. (It reminds me of a new glass bottle of ketchup, if air can't get past the ketchup doesn't come out).

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
dcg9381 wrote:
Is the hose connected to the catch pan on the inside? If you pour water in the pan, does it leak out the hose?

This.

Then....you might have figured out the cause of the problem already.

The drip angles and tray were intended for a VERY slow accumulation of water.

Mine does the same thing.....and the accumulated ice isn't even enough that you notice it unless you specifically look.

I figure it's just the nature of the beast.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

dcg9381
Explorer
Explorer
Is the hose connected to the catch pan on the inside? If you pour water in the pan, does it leak out the hose?