cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do you always have to pay inside at Truck stops?

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
This may be a silly question and forgive me if it's been asked and answered before. Do you always have to go inside to pay at truck stops? Being my first diesel (my other RV's were gas MH's) I find it easier just to use truck stops instead of trying to navigate a regular gas station pulling the FW. But the card reader obviously doesn't work for non-commercial drivers. I've looked at memberships and reward cards but it still seems like these only offer a discount but you still have to go in and pay. Not a huge deal, but is there a way for non commercial drivers to just pay at the pump? And what other benefits are there for a card with Flying J, Pilot etc? Is it worth having a card with all of them?

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS
33 REPLIES 33

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:

"Trapped" seems to be a of of an exaggeration. Truckers pull forward when they are done fueling THEN go inside to finish up.

One time I sat for 15 minutes waiting for a driver to even get out of his truck. The lanes were 2-3 deep, and this guy never got out of his truck. After 15 minutes, he pulled out and continued on his way, never taking on any fuel

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
buc1980 wrote:
I don't know why people go to fuel at the truck stop they more expensive than regular gas station.

Guess you have not read my posts.

Does this give you an idea of why I use the Truck Stops?

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
buc1980 wrote:
I don't know why people go to fuel at the truck stop they more expensive than regular gas station.

Because trying to navigate regular stations in an RV pulling a car or FW set up is much more difficult and risky, nevermind the headache of trying to find an accommodating station while on the road, vs a truck stop which is easy to find and easy to navigate. It's worth a few more pennies - if it's actually more expensive at all. I don't shop stations for price while towing, I look for what's easy. I knew RV's had poor mileage when I bought into them decades ago. Price at the pump is way down the list of cost concerns with RV's. I'd rather have a stress free experience.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
minnow wrote:
Being trapped in the big rig fueling lanes is what caused me to install a auxiliary fuel tank so that I never need to stop while towing the fifth wheel. After we arrive at our destination, I'll unhook and go and get fuel out in front with the rest of the passenger vehicles. And that's where the pay at the pump works too.
Sitting out in the back in a line with the "real" truckers waiting on them to finish shopping, eating, watching a movie in the lounge or taking a shower was more than enough motivation to install the aux. tank. It no longer takes 45 minutes to get fuel.

"Trapped" seems to be a of of an exaggeration. Truckers pull forward when they are done fueling THEN go inside to finish up.

In 17 years of towing the West Coast from NW WA to SoCal I bet I have never waited over 15 minutes to fuel and most of the time it's a few minutes or no wait at all. When traveling the West Coast I never unhook and don't want to head to town for fuel. NOT worth the few bucks saved if any considering going and coming.

But hey we need to all do what's best for us!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
BurbMan wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
When you are 67โ€™ overall double towing the truck stops are your only safe choice. Do as I suggested if a passenger is with. If not deal with if needed.

We were 56' when we had the TT and Suburban, and always had to use the "car" lanes to buy gas because the truck lanes were diesel only. We had backing out of a gas station and onto a main road down to a science, because all the stations now have the pumps perpendicular to the mini-mart so you can't pull around.

I installed a set of bright halogen driving lights on the back of the TT that were wired to a relay triggered by the reverse lead in the 7-pin connector. Originally designed for backing into campsites after dark, also worked well to alert drivers that I was backing out onto a main road.

Glad to have a diesel truck now so we can fuel in the truck lanes.

We had a bad situation towing our 36' Mobile suites no Trailer behind. We had to pull into a Chevron to fuel then realized there was no way out except to back into traffic that was coming off an off ramp then turning right. The wife was scared but did handle it well. NOT fun so we have a rule to stick to truck stops even with just the current DRV that's 41' overall.

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
Being trapped in the big rig fueling lanes is what caused me to install a auxiliary fuel tank so that I never need to stop while towing the fifth wheel. After we arrive at our destination, I'll unhook and go and get fuel out in front with the rest of the passenger vehicles. And that's where the pay at the pump works too.
Sitting out in the back in a line with the "real" truckers waiting on them to finish shopping, eating, watching a movie in the lounge or taking a shower was more than enough motivation to install the aux. tank. It no longer takes 45 minutes to get fuel.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
When you are 67โ€™ overall double towing the truck stops are your only safe choice. Do as I suggested if a passenger is with. If not deal with if needed.

We were 56' when we had the TT and Suburban, and always had to use the "car" lanes to buy gas because the truck lanes were diesel only. We had backing out of a gas station and onto a main road down to a science, because all the stations now have the pumps perpendicular to the mini-mart so you can't pull around.

I installed a set of bright halogen driving lights on the back of the TT that were wired to a relay triggered by the reverse lead in the 7-pin connector. Originally designed for backing into campsites after dark, also worked well to alert drivers that I was backing out onto a main road.

Glad to have a diesel truck now so we can fuel in the truck lanes.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MarkTwain wrote:
Paying for fuel----
I agree, having to go inside to the store to get the pump turned on and then having to go back to pay is a pain in the rear end:) Not my choice.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
BurbMan wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Forget the darn card and use your Costco Visa or something that gives you good points on fuel.

Pull up look at pump number. Send spouse inside and she will tell them the dollar amount not to exceed and your pump number. They will turn on your pump. she will do her thing, women love to shop.

Once you are done call her let it ring twice and hangup, This will let her know to pay. You will pull forward at that time wait for her. If you need DEF have her say so and dollar amount.

Man that is a well-oiled machine....I wish we were that organized!

It really works well! She gets her fix to shop. I look ahead to see what truck stops. I will ask her Loveโ€™s or Flying J for example. She always says Loves as they usually have something she wants. They also have good iced tea.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Paying for fuel----
I agree, having to go inside to the store to get the pump turned on and then having to go back to pay is a pain in the rear end:) Not my choice.

PamfromVA
Explorer
Explorer
RVers can apply for EFS fuel card.
2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2017 Dodge Ram 3500
One DH
two very spoiled camping dogs

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Forget the darn card and use your Costco Visa or something that gives you good points on fuel.

Pull up look at pump number. Send spouse inside and she will tell them the dollar amount not to exceed and your pump number. They will turn on your pump. she will do her thing, women love to shop.

Once you are done call her let it ring twice and hangup, This will let her know to pay. You will pull forward at that time wait for her. If you need DEF have her say so and dollar amount.

Man that is a well-oiled machine....I wish we were that organized!

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Yes, I am starting to think there isn't much to be gained by jumping through hoops and paying an annual membership fee just to pay at the pump. I get great points back on my Discover and only takes a minute to send the wife or son in to get the pump started. At the Pilot I used during last week's trip, I only had to go in once. She said whatever was not used from being authorized would just be credited back so no need to come back inside. Easy.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III