cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Does this roof need work?

frank33v
Explorer
Explorer
We looked at a fifth wheel yesterday and really like the floor plan. But it has some delamination that makes me think at one point it had a leak. The delimitation is on one section in the back left corner and the ladder on the back wall in that corner seems to be loose. However I see no signs of water penetration inside. No musty smell, no soft walls or floors/roof. The cabinets have a dead spot in the corner of the wall with the delamination. I removed draws and got into the area and it is clean and solid.

It's under consignment and I was told that the roof was replaced at some point. It is a 2004 Keystone Challenger. I am a newbie to evaluating these things. Is it possible for a small leak to cause delimitation, the source of the leak be fixed, and everything else be ok in the long run??

I have pictures of the delimitation and a little video of the chaffing that occurs on the roof when I push on it or rub my finger on it. It seems dried out and perhaps needing to be replaced again? We really like the trailer otherwise...30' fifth wheel with good floorpan and a king bed! Thoughts..

Link to delamination

Video of roof

Picture of whole roof
20 REPLIES 20

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
jfkmk wrote:
gbopp wrote:
The video removes any doubt. Run away.

X2!

X3

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:

X2!

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
my vote....keep looking
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

USAFBILL
Explorer
Explorer
I agree....run run fast
2003 Cougar 285EFS
2000 Chev 2500 Ex Cab

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
The delam I see was most likely caused by a leak around the (scare) light.
The loose ladder in the same area around back is not a good sign either...
There could be (probably is) significant damage in the wall.

And, I don't like what I am seeing in the roof video you posted.

My advice is to look elsewhere. There are a bazillion trailers out there for sale. I think you are asking for trouble with this one.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro