cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dogs into Canada?

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if this is the right forum to post this question, BUT I have been told that all you need to bring your pets into Canada is documentation for current vaccinations ? Is this correct? Any of you done the border crossing with your pets?
10 REPLIES 10

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Allworth wrote:

It was a U.S agent who didn't recognize a Schipperke and had to ask.

The "Little Captains" are great dogs (& watch dogs!).

Fun to hear a Belgian pronounce - "Schipperke"!

*NO* "Skipper-key" for them.......

Phonetically it kinda sounds like... Schupper-kuh..:B

~

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
I crossed the border several times on my trip last summer and was asked once for the vaccination/health record for my dog. Also, certain types of dry dog food are not allowed into Canada so be sure to read the website carefully.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, good to know about original container for the food. We usually keep our dog food in a sealable plastic container! You know living so close to Mickey! LOL

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Back and forth several times and have never been asked for the shot record that we had ready. We just keep it in the folder with passports, vehicle registrations, and insurance.

It was a U.S agent who didn't recognize a Schipperke and had to ask.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

SabreCanuck
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, Canadian travelling to the U.S here as well. Had vaccination PW for both dog and cat but RARELY asked for them. They are more concerned with you knowing the ingredients in the pet food. Make sure whatever food you have is in the original containers and the ingredients are 'allowed'...

I know that may not help you coming North. ๐Ÿ™‚
2011 GMC 2500 D-Max Denali
2015 Palomino Columbus 325RL
Our kids have 4 legs. ๐Ÿ™‚

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
Travelling into the US from Canada is the same. We always have our dogs vaccination and health records handy but the focus more about the food. We had our food seized because it was not in the original containers.

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
We had all of our paperwork in order for the two dogs. The border agent said she didn't need to see it, but made the comment, "Nice dogs".

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Same here. Read online that we were to have the latest vaccination records and our vet included a certificate of health even though it was not asked for. He said he's had clients that didn't have it and it was asked for by one border crossing agent. Our vet suggested it so just in case. We were only asked if we had it, but never asked to show it. If we go back again, we'll do the same.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Current vaccine record.
BTW, there usually more worried about your pet food than your pet. Be sure their food is in the original package. Might also check online for banned pet food brands.

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
The last time we went to Canada with our dog, we were told to have a letter of good health from our vet and a copy of vaccination records. Nobody ever looked at either, coming or going, but they did spend a lot of time petting him and asking questions about the breed (Cavalier King Charles).