cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Easiest 5th hitch to connect for 1 smaller woman?

Mamacast
Explorer
Explorer
I am wondering if there is a difference in difficulty for connecting your FW depending on the hitch you have? We are getting our first FW and will be purchasing the hitch at the dealer. They sell Pullrite but I am wondering how the TrailerSaver Air-Rides compare in terms of ease of connecting? Thanks for any replies. If it matters it is an 8 ft bed.
34 REPLIES 34

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since the OP has made a choice and purchased a hitch there is no need for further discussion. Thread closed.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
shepstone wrote:
I can't help but think that for a smaller person that with the Andersen it might be easier to reach the remote cable latch . Q to Andersen owners , is it easier to reach this pull latch than a handle in the bed of the truck?

If it's important to you the Andersen cable does not have a way to lock.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

northmeck0255
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
Probably the easiest to handle for you would be the Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel hitch. The hitch itself weighs around 40 lbs...it uses a ball and a socket...you back under the kingpin...drop the hitch on the ball... Twist the locking latch and you are done.

Here is a link to the Rail Mount Version

Here is a link to the Gooseneck Mount Ultimate Fifth wheel, but this version is about 75 lbs or so.

They even have an aluminum version that weighs less than 40 lbs.

If I were going with a light weight fiver this would be high on my list of possible hitches.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

X2
2010 Airstream 27FB Classic Limited
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4X4

Mamacast
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the great resource as we tried to determine the best fit for our needs. I just ordered the aluminum Anderson 3220 and are scheduled to have the B&W Turnover ball hitch installed next week. We wanted the bed of the truck clear between camping trips and this is the set-up that appears to allow this the most easily. The weight of 38 # was impressive and something that even I could do alone if I wanted to clear the bed at the campground. The ergonomics of it also played into my choice as the remote cable was a plus. The reviews also talk about this being very smooth, something that made the Air ride appealing but at 2 parts at 80# each we couldn't see taking that in and out of the truck regularly, maybe if we ever become full timers!
So again, thanks to all for such an informative thread, I would never have heard about Anderson or Air Ride without you! Happy Trails!

Mamacast
Explorer
Explorer
sayoung wrote:
shepstone wrote:
I can't help but think that for a smaller person that with the Andersen it might be easier to reach the remote cable latch . Q to Andersen owners , is it easier to reach this pull latch than a handle in the bed of the truck?

You mount the handle behind the pin box where you want. It's just a turn of the handle & pull/push.
They have an accessories cup that goes on the pin box so can be as much as 3 inchs off & still hookup, can't tell you positively as I haven't gotten around to putting it on . Keep forgetting to do it as no real problem aligning for me.
Also I have a step that goes in the receiver hitch so I leave it in place, extends and turns 90 degrees to go against bumper, Tractor Supply

Any chance you can send a link to that step? I looked and didn't see one that turns against the bumper, thanks.

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
shepstone wrote:

You mount the handle behind the pin box where you want. It's just a turn of the handle & pull/push.
They have an accessories cup that goes on the pin box so can be as much as 3 inchs off & still hookup, can't tell you positively as I haven't gotten around to putting it on . Keep forgetting to do it as no real problem aligning for me.
Also I have a step that goes in the receiver hitch so I leave it in place, extends and turns 90 degrees to go against bumper, Tractor Supply

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
shepstone wrote:

This is true.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mamacast wrote:
ljr wrote:
Mamacast wrote:
Thanks all, I was more concerned with the actual attaching of the trailer to the hitch, our TT is quite rigorous with the stabilizers and wanted to see if one was easier than another. While the Anderson sounds like the ticket to get the hitch out of the truck I won't be tackling that, it was mainly to be able to attach and detach at the campsite. The suggestion for the wheel step is a great reminder. Thanks all!

Hitching a TT with a weight distributing hitch is much more work than a fifth wheel.

So that begs the question, can you hook up without a second person? My husband and I had to be a team to line up the TT ball hitch....

Absolutely. I do it all the time. The Trailersaver does help a little with that. I use the airbags to raise the capture plate so it's easier to see.
Larry

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
One handle removal, mostly thumb! HF 880 lbs electric hoist. Chris

Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

Showoff!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
One handle removal, mostly thumb! HF 880 lbs electric hoist. Chris

Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Mamacast
Explorer
Explorer
Traveler II wrote:
Mamacast wrote:
Traveler II wrote:
There is a learning curve for any hitch. In the past we've had a Reese, moved up to a B&W and three years ago bought our Trailer Saver air hitch. Each was better but we really like the Trailer Saver for the way we RV. We have two sticks with a magnets, we put one on the hitch and one on the pin and it make it easy to like
up, works with any hitch, and I can do it by myself. We always do a pull test, put the brakes on the trailer and let the truck pull forward a bit to make sure the hitch is hooked up properly; you do this with any hitch. We had motor homes before the fiver and I find it is easier to hook up the trailer than hooking up the tow car to the MH.

Of course that sent me down the youtube rabbit hole to see how this magnet thing works :E How difficult is the TrailerSaver hitch to unhook and how heavy is it to remove from the truck? The Anderson is appealing because of the light weight, hadn't thought about that aspect.

it is real easy to hook up, back into it and make sure you are compressing the bags. To un-hook, pull the arm and lift the trailer so there is no weight on the bags. We have the BigFoot system so it's easy to do. The hitch is heavy, but for us we travel 6-8 months a year, when we aren't RVing the truck is in the garage, so I just leave it in the bed. I do have a chain hoist if I'm by myself or my son and I can remove it if need be. An Air hitch takes a lot of stress off both the trailer, truck and for those of us in the truck. The other thing is they are pricey.

You stopped me at chain hoist :E

Traveler_II
Explorer
Explorer
Mamacast wrote:
Traveler II wrote:
There is a learning curve for any hitch. In the past we've had a Reese, moved up to a B&W and three years ago bought our Trailer Saver air hitch. Each was better but we really like the Trailer Saver for the way we RV. We have two sticks with a magnets, we put one on the hitch and one on the pin and it make it easy to like
up, works with any hitch, and I can do it by myself. We always do a pull test, put the brakes on the trailer and let the truck pull forward a bit to make sure the hitch is hooked up properly; you do this with any hitch. We had motor homes before the fiver and I find it is easier to hook up the trailer than hooking up the tow car to the MH.

Of course that sent me down the youtube rabbit hole to see how this magnet thing works :E How difficult is the TrailerSaver hitch to unhook and how heavy is it to remove from the truck? The Anderson is appealing because of the light weight, hadn't thought about that aspect.

it is real easy to hook up, back into it and make sure you are compressing the bags. To un-hook, pull the arm and lift the trailer so there is no weight on the bags. We have the BigFoot system so it's easy to do. The hitch is heavy, but for us we travel 6-8 months a year, when we aren't RVing the truck is in the garage, so I just leave it in the bed. I do have a chain hoist if I'm by myself or my son and I can remove it if need be. An Air hitch takes a lot of stress off both the trailer, truck and for those of us in the truck. The other thing is they are pricey.
2011 Cameo 34SB3
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, Mor/Ryde pin box, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights Camped in 2012 - 142
Nights Camped in 2013 - 186
Nights Camped in 2014 - 185
Nights Camped in 2015 - 231
Nights Camped in 2016 - 162

Mamacast
Explorer
Explorer
Traveler II wrote:
There is a learning curve for any hitch. In the past we've had a Reese, moved up to a B&W and three years ago bought our Trailer Saver air hitch. Each was better but we really like the Trailer Saver for the way we RV. We have two sticks with a magnets, we put one on the hitch and one on the pin and it make it easy to like up, works with any hitch, and I can do it by myself. We always do a pull test, put the brakes on the trailer and let the truck pull forward a bit to make sure the hitch is hooked up properly; you do this with any hitch. We had motor homes before the fiver and I find it is easier to hook up the trailer than hooking up the tow car to the MH.