cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Easy Ideas to attach a 10' Kayak to Fiver

jayhardy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking of strapping my Yak to the Ladder. Not real comfortable screwing any holes in my Fiver to make permanent rack. Am I missing any easy ideas???
16 REPLIES 16

Swampman597
Explorer
Explorer
No responses? Dang, I gotta learn the secret password. ๐Ÿ˜„

Seriously, has anyone added a hatch or door to their RV? Or, is it something that is best left to a dealer or cabinet shop? I really want to take my long kayak (16') and have even been looking at inflatable kayaks.

Swampman597 wrote:
I'm really new to RVing and have taken our 5th wheeler out once to Myakka State Park. But, we really missed our kayaks and looking at adding a front receiver and T-bar like you've done. The amount of tie-down straps for the T-bars surprise me - do they really move around that much or is there another reason?

I've also been thinking of another solution and wonder if any one has done or tried it. We have a 2004 Keystone Laredo and see there is plenty of room below the windows in the back for a hatch or door big enough to slide kayaks in and out when the slide-out is extended. From there, it would be easy to pull them forward to the bedroom stairs and even the bed. Then, just use Thule or Yakima type bars on the cab for transporting them from the campground. Does anyone do it this way? Or is there a problem with this solution?

Thanks
2014 Chevy 2500 Duramax, short bed, 4WD
2004 Keystone Laredo 27RL
Escapees member

Swampman597
Explorer
Explorer
I'm really new to RVing and have taken our 5th wheeler out once to Myakka State Park. But, we really missed our kayaks and looking at adding a front receiver and T-bar like you've done. The amount of tie-down straps for the T-bars surprise me - do they really move around that much or is there another reason?

I've also been thinking of another solution and wonder if any one has done or tried it. We have a 2004 Keystone Laredo and see there is plenty of room below the windows in the back for a hatch or door big enough to slide kayaks in and out when the slide-out is extended. From there, it would be easy to pull them forward to the bedroom stairs and even the bed. Then, just use Thule or Yakima type bars on the cab for transporting them from the campground. Does anyone do it this way? Or is there a problem with this solution?

Thanks
2014 Chevy 2500 Duramax, short bed, 4WD
2004 Keystone Laredo 27RL
Escapees member

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
About what ME TOO does is the only way out of the situation if you can't carry them inside the living room area....

The rack over the top of the truck that comes down to the truck's front bumper looks great...

Photos from Google Images...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
vic46 wrote:

I would wonder if the support pole from the front bumper might be viewed as an vision impairment to the driver's vision in some jurisdictions. Perhaps California, similar to the law forbidding anything attached to the windshield (eg, GPS)and restriction regarding what may be attached to the windshied rear view mirror.

I wouldn't put it past CHP with all the needed cash.

LINK
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

John_Bridge
Explorer
Explorer
Home made self-loader canoe rack build specifically for towing a fiver.
Semi-"retarred" in 2006. ๐Ÿ™‚ 2008 Newmar Cypress 5th wheel, 2008 Dodge diesel dually to pull it with.

relaxin
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
We brought a 10' one home from Arizona on the trailers rear ladder. Then I built an over the cab rack.

I sold the larger Old Town Vapor 12 and got a Vapor 10.

Never understood why people carry them as rain catchers!

Chris

bingo but I was looking at 4 wide on their side
Relaxin, hikin, canoin, enjoyin life
headin down the road with a 29' reflection, canoe, camera, & hammock. 2022 GMC extended cab 6.6 litre gasser.
Rug rats grown and gone, just me and my beautiful little lady.

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
We brought a 10' one home from Arizona on the trailers rear ladder. Then I built an over the cab rack.

Chris

Ditto the rain catcher comment! Just don't understand that either!

I would wonder if the support pole from the front bumper might be viewed as an vision impairment to the driver's vision in some jurisdictions. Perhaps California, similar to the law forbidding anything attached to the windshield (eg, GPS)and restriction regarding what may be attached to the windshied rear view mirror.
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

Helmsey
Explorer
Explorer
My dad has one of his kayaks on the ladder of his rig. They have been all over the place with it and as of yet, no issues.
KK4PFX
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Dually
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ

Stevonfish
Explorer
Explorer
I had a bicycle rack attached to my ladder and hung my 10 ft kayak on it. Worked pretty good.
Steve and Jo Ann
2012 Landmark Key Largo
08 F350 Ford KR DRW 4x4 CC

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Monaco_Montclai
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a good idea, buy a rubber one, store it any where.and now it's all happy-camping

gkenworth
Explorer
Explorer
My brother hauls 2 on a roof rack on the truck.
IMHO

relaxin
Explorer
Explorer
I just moved up to a fifth wheel myself this year, before I had a rack on my truck for my 16' foot canoe, no longer doable
we have looked at getting a couple kayaks for the kids, and maybe us, but definitely staying with a canoe, so I looked into having fabricated a bumper mount removeable rack that links to a behind the cab rack to carry up to 4 kayaks,,, of course which can safely transport when unhooked as well from the trailer.

for our canoe issue, if there are places we want to take it I am looking into a light weight utility trailer with a rack that will take the canoe and 2 kayaks,(or 4 kayaks) as well a little firewood, 4 to 5 bikes. the trailer (must) and will be balanced just so when loaded 1 person could easily carry the tongue and push it across level ground.

I will eventually have both systems as our trips vary greatly for the number of people (anywhere from 2 to 5) and the equipment we take or can use on each trip, so we can easily set up for whatever we need and its as minimal as possible for that purpose
Relaxin, hikin, canoin, enjoyin life
headin down the road with a 29' reflection, canoe, camera, & hammock. 2022 GMC extended cab 6.6 litre gasser.
Rug rats grown and gone, just me and my beautiful little lady.

remoandiris
Explorer
Explorer
My yak is 10', wife's is 8'. Both fit inside the coach. Slight PITA.
2011 GMC 3500 Dually
New to me 2006 Jayco Designer 38RDQS
2 Boxers and a Maine Coon