cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electric Awing won't close

Texas_Bohunk
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2014 Forest River V-Cross VTSB365 my problem is the awning will open up with no problems. When I got to close it, it stops intermittently. If I wait a second and hit the close button it starts again but stops within a few seconds. Is there any adjustments for the closing torque or springs that I can adjust to correct this problem?

Thanks in advance.
16 REPLIES 16

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
Mine did the same thing and of course I assumed it was either the switch or the motor itself. I checked the switch with a meter to find it was working properly then I bought a matching plug from an local auto parts store and hooked the motor directly to a 12v battery and found the motor was working fine, after some head-scratching my buddy suggested we should check the wiring from the switch to the motor and there was the problem. When the dealer installed the awning (I won't mention his name and I wouldn't buy a doghouse from this goof!) their installation was "shoe-maker quality" at best, they ran the power wire from the forward base of the awning arm using two "crimp connectors" without either taping or heat-shrinking the connection so I re-did it properly but that shoddy workmanship still wasn't the issue, I followed the chord up the awning arm under the plastic cover to where there the hinged part was and there I saw that the chord had shorted out after being bent over a period of time and it would make a contact intermittently so I went to my local Handy Andy and bought a better quality chord and where the extreme bend was I added three layers of heat-shrink tubing to reduce abrasion and it's been good ever since, I hope this helps!

Red Green: Nothing bugs a handyman more than a stripper that works too slow.
07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blücher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
Ha! mine sometimes closes all by itself in the middle of the calmest of nights.

Wish I still had a manual one.

X2. I always had manual awnings. I didn't mind needing to crank it out manually and securing it to stakes driven in the ground and adding deflappers. The most annoying thing about any awning is the noise it could make on a breezy evening when sleeping. There were times when the wind was excessive and necessitated my getting out of bed and rolling the awning up.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Any switching device, be it a relay or switch, is prone to dirtying up the contacts over time when switching DC current.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

texasjayco
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
Texas Bohunk wrote:
Texas Jayco: Thanks I'll put the switch and check it. Maybe even buy a new marine grade switch to replace it.

That's what I was thinking. Why mess around with the old, defective, switch several times a year, when replacing it with a better one would likely solve the problem? :h

Lyle

It wasn't defective, just needed to be cleaned and literally took 30 seconds to do it. Probably should have replaced it, but no biggie to clean it a COUPLE times a year.

Mark
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS
2022 Ford F-450 Limited Diesel Dually

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Veebyes wrote:

YES!!!!!! Better yet, an electric one that's as robust as a manual!

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yeah, the manual ones are much less trouble in my experience. And more robust too. Ours power awning flops around in the mildest of breezes.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Texas Bohunk wrote:
Texas Jayco: Thanks I'll put the switch and check it. Maybe even buy a new marine grade switch to replace it.

That's what I was thinking. Why mess around with the old, defective, switch several times a year, when replacing it with a better one would likely solve the problem? :h

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Texas_Bohunk
Explorer
Explorer

texasjayco
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same prob with the FR I just traded in. I took the switch apart and could easily see that it was just the design of the switch. I cleaned the contacts on a regular basis (3-4 times per yr) and that solved my problem.

Had the same issue with the slide switch too.

Hopefully yours is that simple.

Mark
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS
2022 Ford F-450 Limited Diesel Dually

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
IB853347201 wrote:
Sounds like you have a voltage problem to me. Your TT's battery is at least 4+ years old, when did you last check the after levels? Is it toast?
It may be a voltage problem, but he said it has been doing this since it was new.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
Sounds like you have a voltage problem to me. Your TT's battery is at least 4+ years old, when did you last check the after levels? Is it toast?
2010 Suncruiser

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
It could be a bad auto resetting breaker. I had that problem a few years back. Replaced it and no issues since. Mine is an automotive type and I got it at NAPA.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you have access to a load meter, you might check the load the motor is pulling when retracting. Could be something else binding.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"