cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electric, wide-stance rear stabilizer jacks?

Red-Rover
Explorer
Explorer
Am looking at a Jayco 5th wheel that has "Electric, wide-stance rear stabilizer jacks" and cannot understand how they work. Both sides, curb and street, are apparently controlled by a single switch on the curb side. Do the legs swing down an even amount on both sides and require blocking to level the trailer? The sales person had no idea so I decided to go the the experts that really know, you folks.
Thanks in advance for the helpful replies.
2014 Cougar 313RLI
2017 F250, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab, Short Bed
11 REPLIES 11

Dan50
Explorer
Explorer
jalichty wrote:
Our HT 26.5 RLS has the electric rear jacks and they do come down at the same speed but when one of them contacts the ground, or blocks, before the other, it stops and waits for the other one to "catch up" so to speak. Then they go down at the same rate until you stop pushing on the button.

X2
Dan
2014 Ram SLT CC LB 4X4 Cummins Dually
2018 Heartland Big Country 3950FB

luvglass
Explorer
Explorer
We have Ultrafab with 2 motors and 2 switches. Independent control over each leg.
Fred Wishnie
2006 Carriage Cameo 35KS3, 2006 Ford F350 diesel dually, fulltimer
See our blog at http://www.mytripjournal.com/wanderingwishnies

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
Thats how they work on our creek as well. I love them.
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

overthehillbill
Explorer
Explorer
shadoow wrote:
jalichty wrote:
Our HT 26.5 RLS has the electric rear jacks and they do come down at the same speed but when one of them contacts the ground, or blocks, before the other, it stops and waits for the other one to "catch up" so to speak. Then they go down at the same rate until you stop pushing on the button.

yep, the jack arms are attached to a frame that slide back and forth in another frame bolted to the undercarriage. As one arm contacts the ground (or blocks) if the other is not yet in contact, the arm frame will be forced to slide towards the arm that hasn't yet contacted anything. Once they both are in contact the trailer begins lifting. If both arms have been lowered but are not yet in contact, you can reach in there, grab and arm, and raise/lower it causing the arm frame to slide back & forth.

Thanks for the explanation. It's not magic after all. I didn't want to use up my last few brain cells trying to figure it out.
Bill
'08 Cedar Creek 32TK, 35'9", 13,990#
'01 F-250,Lariat, 7.3L, SC, Auto, LB, JW Towmaster Tranny, 6.0L Tranny cooler, DP custom tunes, 4" Turbo back exhaust, Auto Meter Gauges, Firestone Air Bags. '07 Headlights and Grille, Prodigy P-3.

shadoow
Explorer
Explorer
jalichty wrote:

yep, the jack arms are attached to a frame that slide back and forth in another frame bolted to the undercarriage. As one arm contacts the ground (or blocks) if the other is not yet in contact, the arm frame will be forced to slide towards the arm that hasn't yet contacted anything. Once they both are in contact the trailer begins lifting. If both arms have been lowered but are not yet in contact, you can reach in there, grab and arm, and raise/lower it causing the arm frame to slide back & forth.

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
John A. Lichty

overthehillbill
Explorer
Explorer
wildernesshd wrote:
Our 2012 avalanche has self leveling with one motor works great

X-2, I have the UltraFab single motor. It is self leveling. It's magic.
Bill
'08 Cedar Creek 32TK, 35'9", 13,990#
'01 F-250,Lariat, 7.3L, SC, Auto, LB, JW Towmaster Tranny, 6.0L Tranny cooler, DP custom tunes, 4" Turbo back exhaust, Auto Meter Gauges, Firestone Air Bags. '07 Headlights and Grille, Prodigy P-3.

wildernesshd
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2012 avalanche has self leveling with one motor works great
2012 GMC \Denali 3500 4X4 DURAMAX Allison EFI live tuner 4 inch Exhaust
2012 Keystone Avalanche 330RE 5th wheel 4 slides
statements in this post should be considered opinions and not facts

outdoorlovers
Explorer
Explorer
Have a new Jayco FW (see sig). Yes, they come down at the same time and we put a block under them.
2012 Dodge Ram 2500, Cummins turbo diesel, 6 speed, 4X4, tow package
2014 Jayco FW Eagle HT 26.5 RLS
Yamaha EF2400iS gen

mikeh449
Explorer
Explorer
I have a jayco 27.5 rlts and yes both go down at the same time both have motors on them

Miles_Away
Explorer
Explorer
I have them on my Everest. They self level. Not a lot, but will settle at different levels. I generally block mine anyway, just to get them off the ground., Only one motor.
M & M :C On the road again!
2007 GMC 3500-SRW-Duramax-longbed-4X4
2008 Keystone EVEREST 348R 5th wheel
2002 SUNDOWNER gooseneck horse trailer