cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ELKRIDGE XTREME LIGHT

ediemarie
Explorer
Explorer
hi - I've done some searching and haven't come up with anything other than dealer info.

we've had a 28ft C for apprx 2years now and with retirement coming up(!)and our plan of doing quite a bit of traveling, we've decided that the C doesn't really lend itself to a long stay. agree or disagree we've decided its going to get small quickly on a 1-2 week stay somewhere.

made the decision of purchasing a 5th wheel. as stated above I can't really find much on this new(?) xtreme light elkridge by heartland. not having any experience with 5th wheels I'm not sure as to the cons of a lighter rig. I can see the pros, not needing a "huge" truck to pull it and I would assume better mileage with the tow vehicle.

following are some specifics on the rig we are looking at:

Eldridge Xtreme Light E289
Length: 31.4
Hitch Weight: 1725lbs
Dry Weight: 8287lbs

as I'm sure you can tell by my wording, we have very little experience with RV'ing in the first place and zero experience with pulling a 5th wheel.

amy thoughts that can offered is greatly appreciated.

EM
18 REPLIES 18

ICamel
Explorer
Explorer
The "R" value of the insulation of the Elkridge line and Elkridge Xtreme Lite lineup is identical (Wall = R11, Roof & Floor = R14). The Xtreme Lite will likely not have a Coroplast liner on the undercarriage. The other main difference between the two is the Elkridge 5r's will have 6,000 pound axles while the Xtreme Lite units will have 4,400 pound axles.
jaycocamprs wrote:
In general "Lite" trailers have thin walls.
ICamel

2017 Arctic Fox 992
2005 Ford F350 Lariat SuperDuty CrewCab 4x4 + 6 Speed Manual + 19.5" Tires + LoadLifter 5000 Rear Air Bags
2005 16' River Wild Drift Boat
Honda EU2000i
Trophytrout FlyFisherman

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
ediemarie wrote:
hoping for 2-4 weeks at a time once we find some place we like. extreme's in temp are something we'll be trying to avoid. we'll be looking for warm and cool vs Oklahoma winters and summers!

from what I'm reading I sure hope we get an honest and knowledgeable sales person!

I wonder how these light weight trailers are going to handle in 20-30mph winds?

You mean while towing or while set up? I don't think I've heard or read anything having to do with lite fiver compared to a full-time heavier unit as far as wind is concerned. It wouldn't influence my decision. I would look at the insulation value in the roof and walls and see what the difference is between the different manufactures.

ediemarie
Explorer
Explorer
hoping for 2-4 weeks at a time once we find some place we like. extreme's in temp are something we'll be trying to avoid. we'll be looking for warm and cool vs Oklahoma winters and summers!

from what I'm reading I sure hope we get an honest and knowledgeable sales person!

I wonder how these light weight trailers are going to handle in 20-30mph winds?

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
ediemarie wrote:
hi - I've done some searching and haven't come up with anything other than dealer info.

we've had a 28ft C for apprx 2years now and with retirement coming up(!)and our plan of doing quite a bit of traveling, we've decided that the C doesn't really lend itself to a long stay. agree or disagree we've decided its going to get small quickly on a 1-2 week stay somewhere.

made the decision of purchasing a 5th wheel. as stated above I can't really find much on this new(?) xtreme light elkridge by heartland. not having any experience with 5th wheels I'm not sure as to the cons of a lighter rig. I can see the pros, not needing a "huge" truck to pull it and I would assume better mileage with the tow vehicle.

following are some specifics on the rig we are looking at:

Eldridge Xtreme Light E289
Length: 31.4
Hitch Weight: 1725lbs
Dry Weight: 8287lbs

as I'm sure you can tell by my wording, we have very little experience with RV'ing in the first place and zero experience with pulling a 5th wheel.

amy thoughts that can offered is greatly appreciated.

EM

First, how do you see yourself "full-timing"? Do you think you will take lots of trips and stay for short periods of time at each location? If so, this means a =lot= more road miles, so you might want a more robustly built FW. If you think you will travel less and stay longer, a "light" FW might work for you. As others have said, you're likely to have thinner walls, so temperature is almost certainly going to affect you more. Also, even this particular FW might be pushing the limits on a 250/2500 series truck, even the newer ones. Were it me, I'd pay a grand (or less) more for a single rear wheel 350/3500 truck. IF the pin weight ratio of right at 20% stays the same when loaded, you're looking at > 2,300 lbs on the pin at Gross Weight. If that ratio shifts 2%, you're at almost 2,500 lbs on the pin. Just stuff to think about as you do your research.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a Jayco HT 26.5 RLS about three years ago and it is, indeed, a light trailer with a total capacity of 9,950 according to Jayco. However, in the literature we got it specifically said this type of FW was not acceptable for full-timing. Tow things come to mind, one is the available space. Ours is about 30' long with two slides. On a 20-day trip last year, it was more than adequate for our purposes, but I do think it would be a little tight for full-timing. It might be doable, but not spacious. Might get on each other's nerves in this size of space. Second is that these FWs are not built quite as stout as the full-timing FWs, like the Premier or the Pinnacle in the Jayco line. Their frame probably has bigger I-beams and the cupboards, appliances, countertops, etc. are most certainly going to be closer to top-shelf than the ones in my FW. I do think the FWs with "arctic" packages are probably going to be as protected from cold and heat as are the higher end ones, but I really doubt you will be full-timing in Alaska for a long period of time. If you are planning on full-timing in the south, just make sure you get the second AC and you should be fine.
John A. Lichty

Curly2001
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a Sundance XLT265 Heartland that we use on medium trips. Have had no problems with it and tow it with a Chevy HD2500 gasser. 6.0 gas engine does very well for us. It is lighter built with some less insulation than the heavier units but we are able to heat and cool it with no issues. Full time use will probably be different depending on where you full time and the seasons.
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

ediemarie
Explorer
Explorer
thank you, thank you! all great opinions, thoughts.

the above replies have given me plenty of info. I so much appreciate the information. as I'm sure you've been able to guess that I have little automotive knowledge and even less concerning towing a 5th wheel.

with some research based on the info you've all provided i'll have some confidence when we hit the dealers this next week.

only have a couple of years experience with RV'ing but truly some of the friendliest people I've come across.

EM

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
First congratulations on picking the trailer before the truck.

Ignore the names like Extreme, Ultra, etc. anything. 8000lbs dry weight is about average for a 30ft 5er. It is not light weight although it may be "lite" as in reduced calories 😉

Ask for the Gross Weight Rating (the most it can safely carry) of the trailer, pay no attention to the Dry weight.

Shop for a size and layout that you like. Look for convenience and ease of maintenance.

Get at least 16 inch wheels, I consider this an important feature for a 5er.

Tank Capacity, automatic levelers, hydraulic vs cable slides and landing gear, awnings, BBQ's, etc are all just options and there are lots of forum discussions you can search to get various opinions on.

If you are full timing I think a comfortable living room area is vital. I want two, good size comfortable chairs, which for me was an aftermarket purchase, but I still needed the space to put it in.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

Jim_Sharon
Explorer
Explorer
EM, That size 5th wheel ought to work for traveling just fine.

Mine is 30 foot tip-to-tip, and I would not want to live in anything smaller, or pull anything bigger.

I pull it with a HD 2500 long bed duramax/Allison chevy. The tow vehicle is more than capable, and under all the spec. maximums.
I am pointing this out to you because I think you might want to use these facts to begin your search for the right truck/trailer combo.

Now, ultra light trailers. I do not want a trailer more lightly constructed than the one I have now. If anything, they should be stronger than they are. More insulation, double pane windows, no air leaks.
The only advantage to an ultra-light trailer, is you might be able to pull it with a half ton truck. I don't see that as an advantage because the 3/4 ton truck is a much better hauling platform than the 1/2 ton.

So that is my opinion, based on my experience. Do what you wish with it...Jim
2006 Wildcat 27RL
2006 2500HD w/Allison/Duramax
KB3TXH

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
If you're considering an RV that will see heavy use (full-time or seasonal), I'd be leery of "lite" 5th wheels. Although there are ways to make a strong, durable, light 5th wheel (lightweight, high strength composite materials, extensive use of aluminum - think aircraft type construction), these tend to be pricey because of the material costs and technology required. Unfortunately, it's cheaper to build a "lite" RV by cutting frame and running gear size, floor, wall and roof thickness, particle board (versus real wood) cabinetry, etc. This construction may be somewhat sufficient for weekenders or vacation RVers, but generally won't stand up well under heavy usage. That's why true "full-time" 5th wheels are as heavy as they are.

Having said that, I've seen individuals full-time in tents and slide-in campers, so I guess anything's possible if one is willing to deal with the negatives.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
ediemarie wrote:
we'll be purchasing a truck once we decide on a trailer. makes more sense to figure out what we'd like to have and then figure out what we're going to need to pull it.

Smart!

Look at the net carrying capacity (NCC) on the particular fiver you are considering. It is generally a yellow sticker and can be located on the exterior of the trailer or on an inside cabinet. With many of these "lite" branded trailers, the NCC is shockingly sparse. I know as we are looking for a new fiver in the 30 foot range ourselves. Many we have seen have less than 1100 lbs. Maybe that is enough for weekenders but I would not think that someone fulltiming could get away with that. Others have given good advice also regarding kitchen storage and being able to navigate around the bed.

ICamel
Explorer
Explorer
Elkridge "Lite" models have been sold for at least 5 years. Before being renamed as Extreme Lite, they were called Elkridge Express.
ICamel

2017 Arctic Fox 992
2005 Ford F350 Lariat SuperDuty CrewCab 4x4 + 6 Speed Manual + 19.5" Tires + LoadLifter 5000 Rear Air Bags
2005 16' River Wild Drift Boat
Honda EU2000i
Trophytrout FlyFisherman

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
In general "Lite" trailers have thin walls. Our previous trailer was a 07 JayFlight, a lightweight model. It was hard to heat in near freezing temperatures, and also hard to cool in summer. In fact if you weren't parked in the shade the AC couldn't keep up above 90. The other thing that we found was that because the walls were so thin, the 110 electric outlets were placed in awkward places. Not really where we wanted or were used to them.
As for the Elkridge. A medium Profile 30'-35' trailer should pull ok with a 250/2500 gas truck. It has good sized tanks and good carry capacity. What would stop me from buying would be the 4400# axles, 5200# is the minimum I would have. The 30-amp electric would also make me think hard.
As mentioned above all trucks are about the same size, unless you get a DRW. For pulling 5th wheels you will need a 250/2500 truck, towing 5th wheels is about the carrying capacity of the truck. If you just have to have a 150/1500 or smaller look at Travel Trailers.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

ediemarie
Explorer
Explorer
we'll be purchasing a truck once we decide on a trailer. makes more sense to figure out what we'd like to have and then figure out what we're going to need to pull it.