cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extra Spare Tire

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
I decided to take an extra spare tire on my trip to Alaska. I purchased another carrier for the bumper, but I was concerned about the strain on the bumper and the extra weight in the back. My wife suggested that we put it in the storage area under the bed. I was sure that it wouldn't fit, but a measurement confirmed that it would just fit for height, and by removing one of the under bed drawers it worked fine.
5 REPLIES 5

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
My 85 year old neighbor in The Valley has a huge fiver. I noted he had almost new tires on the camper but was still carrying two spares underneath. A bit too conservative, I thought. On the way to San Antonio this spring he had two flats on the camper and one on the truck. Three incidents.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We carry two mounted spares BUT ever since we switched to Michelin XPS Ribs several years ago we haven't needed them. Too conservative, I guess.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
On one of our Alaska trips we carried a second spare, unmounted. Of course non of the spares were needed.

Chances of getting severe tire damage are greater in the lower 48 where many interstates are worse than anything you will encounter in Canada or Alaska.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I would not put two on the bumper, and mine is well reinforced. Smart wife, definitely a keeper! 🙂

Jerry

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've seen too many pictures of collapsed rear bumpers from carrying too much weight to add a second spare to the TT's bumper.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad