cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Facing a conundrum, what to do?

ElCaminoManT
Explorer
Explorer
The wife and i have been going to the Northwood dealer here to look at the Arctic Fox 29-5k 5er for about a year now. we really like that one and find ourselves always compare other products to it. we just sold the super c so now looking way more seriously at options. factoring everything in this time and since it is well known how heavy the AF units are I'm also checking other options. have found and looked at the Jayco Eagle 319mlok as is basically a lighter, slightly lower profile, and less expensive 'twin' to the AF. i know they are not technically direct competitors because they are on quite different quality levels from each other.

being that the AF is about $20k more expensive and ~3-4k lbs heavier at least, its hard to not strongly consider the Jayco. I'm just worried if we did go with the Jayco that i would always feel like i settled or sold myself short by not getting the AF since i know the quality of the AF is known to be so much better, especially in what counts, the structure and frame. that being said, the Jayco felt pretty darn solid under my feet and had a few design features that i actually prefer over the AF as they make more sense for us. registration and insurance fees are reflective of the unit cost and play into the overalls as well.

also, we are looking strongly into going full time for a year or 2 in the (hopefully) near-ish future to figure out where we eventually want to relocate to. i know the AF can handle this, can the Jayco?

dang it, what the heck am i supposed to do here?
John

2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT2 CC LB 4x4 DMAX/ALLISON
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40AD Cummins ISL 400hp
2017 Mirage UCH16 car hauler trailer
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ 4x4 "ol flakey"
2013 VW CC Sport (hers)
2012 VW CC R-Line (mine)
37 REPLIES 37

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Our '06 Silverback 33LBHTS had 3,000 cargo capacity to which we had 2,000 lbs of stuff fully loaded. Now that we have a '18 Big Country 3560 SS, it has just 2,000 cargo capacity to which we now have 1,980 lobs of stuff. However, the Creek weighed 10,800 dry, 13,800 max and the BC weighs 14,000 dry and 16,000 max. IMO, the BC rides/tows much better than the CC did. Do we wish for more CCC? Yes, but we make do for now. Would we go back to CC? Almost did, but didn't like any of the floorplans really or lack of some options that used to be std. Truck in OP's sig looks like he would have no prob towing the AF. IF OP's gut feeling is to go w/ the AF, go w/it.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ben Franklin is right. Cast your search net further & look at almost new, lightly used units in the better quality reputation group. Don't be afraid to shop outside of your local area too.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Downunda wrote:
Benjamin Franklin: The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. โ€œ

I'm a strong believer in this age old saying. You buy the Jayco and you will always wonder!

troubledwaters wrote:
I can do a lot of repairs for $20,000.00.

You can't build a better frame under the Jayco for $20K.
So when looking at these two, I would/am leaning to the AF for the simple fact that the is the big Payload!

We have a 32' Keystone Copper Canyon with a 2,106# pay load and are using every ounce of that and a couple pounds more, and don't have the basement capacity, we are full time. Our 5er has a very similar floor plan to the AF.

Jayco Eagle 319mlok
Weights
Unloaded Vehicle Weight 10,710#
Dry Hitch Weight 2,150#
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating 12,995#
Cargo Carrying Capacity 2,285#
Total Exterior Length 36' 11"
Exterior Width 96"
Interior Height 103"
Interior Height (Bedroom) 6' 6"

Arctic Fox 29-5K
Specifications:
Dry Axle Weight : 9,448#
Dry Hitch Weight : 2,921#
Net Carrying Capacity: 3,731#
Gross Dry Weight : 12,369#
Gross Vehicle Weight (GVWR) : 16,100#
Exterior Length : 35โ€™2?
Exterior Height (approx.): 13โ€™4?
Exterior Width (approx.): 8โ€™6?

ON EDIT: You might need to upgrade you TV with the AF as it has a GVWR of 16,100# it would depend partly how heavy you loaded it!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Which one does the wife like? That's really all that matters!

More than likely, she's all about the floor plan, the color of the walls, the reachability of the cabinets. No doubt, you are all about the weights, costs, and logistics. In the end, it's all about what the wife wants.

Sounds like you'd have no problem logistically with either one.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with ben franklin,

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
I can make a lot of improvements for $20,000.00.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
After you find THE place to relocate to what do you plan to do about any future RVing? That answer should figure into your purchase decision now.
Puma 30RKSS

Downunda
Explorer
Explorer
Benjamin Franklin: The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. โ€œ

I'm a strong believer in this age old saying. You buy the Jayco and you will always wonder!