cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fifth wheel hitch purchase

Robertw277
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone. Looking at purchasing a fifth wheel trailer my question is what is an average height of the fifth wheel hitch? I have a 2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Crew cab 4x4 diesel standard box and the trailer looking at buying is Sierra 384QBOK. I have seen sliders that slide 10 to 11 inches and height adjustments 14 to 17 and 15 to 18 inches. My truck is stock ride height. Looking at Reese but want to make sure I get and install the right one. Thanks in advance.
42 REPLIES 42

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
larry barnhart wrote:
As a retired carpenter the look of the Anderson hitch in my way of thinking is this.

Like a 2x4 was used instead of a 2x6 for strength. Of course I could be incorrect.

chevman

Same trade here. I feel the same. We as Carpenters had to design things in our career to withstand the elements and loads. The size of materials are not what I would have chosen.

As a side note I am NOT a Structural Engineer but will say that every design I proposed to an Engineer was stamped for approval.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

jbeliera
Explorer
Explorer
larry barnhart wrote:
As a retired carpenter the look of the Anderson hitch in my way of thinking is this.

Like a 2x4 was used instead of a 2x6 for strength. Of course I could be incorrect.

chevman

You could be right carpenter man. I spoke with my hitch guy here in Boise, Idaho who is the distributor, and he said as far as he knows there has been a couple of issues with the Anderson like this on the internet that he was aware of and that the engineers at Anderson are looking into it. Hey I believe that every American company is interested in providing safe products for the American consumer and if things happen to alert them to a possible problem, it is the good companies that will adjust and continue to strive to make a safe product. I think that is what I would like to believe about most of them
John and Judie Beliera
2008 Laredo 29RL, Fiver (Mustang Sally)
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
2015 GMC 2500 HD 6.0 liter

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"You are right, If I had known I would have gotten another brand, Thanks for letting me know "

You are welcome!

I really hate when companies or people are deceiving with their information!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

jbeliera
Explorer
Explorer
spud1957 wrote:
2001400ex wrote:
spud1957 wrote:
So we currently have an active thread where there are pictures of an Andersen and B&W hitch that have failed miserably. Both made in the US.

Reese and Curt are both made in China but I have yet to see any posts about failures for these. Interesting.

Full disclosure: I have a Pullrite US made.

Link to the thread? I'd be curious you see that.

Here in the 5th wheel section.

Andersen Failure

I just posted from another forum an example of a
Reese potential failure
John and Judie Beliera
Anderson Ultimate Hitch

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Robertw277 wrote:
I found that information in the Duramax diesel owners manual that came with the truck. States max 3000 pounds so that rating is coming with the known fact the truck has a diesel engine. In the column it's listed 6.6l v8 diesel.

GM gives your 25400 truck a 6200 RAWR that will carrying everything in the bed. A gas or diesel 2500 GM trucks rear axle can weigh in the 2900-3000 lb range leaving the truck with around 3200 lbs for a payload in the bed. RAWR is the lessor of a tire...wheel...axle...rear spring pack.
You have the truck so drop by a set of scale and weigh the trucks front and rear axles separately ...that way you will know exactly if your RAWR is overloaded or within specs.
If overloaded you can do as Cummins 98 excellent advice and go with 19.5" wheels and tires and air bags/SuperSprings or other aftermarket rear suspension help.

There is no average height for aLL 5th wheel trailers as they vary widely. Now having said that a trailer mfg may have a average height in some models.

Hitch brand just like truck brands . My brand is the best nonsense ...kinda like high school kid stuff. Curt/B&W/Reese/PullRite and others all make a good hitch for RV's

A slider ??
Many new trailers have a rounded/notched front corners that eliminate the need for a sliding hitch. A Sierra dealer or mfg can help you there.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

ghmjr64
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
ghmjr64 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
^^^^^ Come on! Heck all he needs are a set of bags and 19.5's and it will "Tow Just Fine" !!!

OP anything B&W or PullRite will do the job and they are US Made, can't say the same for REESE or Curt as they are China.

Curts website states they are made in America " CURT is the leading manufacturer of USA-made hitches and a complete line towing products. We offer the broadest selection of custom-fit receiver hitches for nearly every vehicle on the road today."

I understand all that. Please read between the lines! Yes their receiver hitches and ball systems are US made. I own nice 2 and 2 5/16" ball setups that are US Made

The FACT is all their 5er hitches are Made in China! Please give them a call. Others will confirm what I am stating as FACT.

You are right, If I had known I would have gotten another brand, Thanks for letting me know

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
2001400ex wrote:
spud1957 wrote:
So we currently have an active thread where there are pictures of an Andersen and B&W hitch that have failed miserably. Both made in the US.

Reese and Curt are both made in China but I have yet to see any posts about failures for these. Interesting.

Here in the 5th wheel section.

Andersen Failure
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
spud1957 wrote:

2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer

2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ghmjr64 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
^^^^^ Come on! Heck all he needs are a set of bags and 19.5's and it will "Tow Just Fine" !!!

OP anything B&W or PullRite will do the job and they are US Made, can't say the same for REESE or Curt as they are China.

Curts website states they are made in America " CURT is the leading manufacturer of USA-made hitches and a complete line towing products. We offer the broadest selection of custom-fit receiver hitches for nearly every vehicle on the road today."

I understand all that. Please read between the lines! Yes their receiver hitches and ball systems are US made. I own nice 2 and 2 5/16" ball setups that are US Made.

The FACT is all their 5er hitches are Made in China! Please give them a call. Others will confirm what I am stating as FACT.

ghmjr64
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Robertw277
Explorer
Explorer
Gotcha sticker states 2367 cargo and passengers. Two very different numbers going off of that sticker and the duramax supplement owners manual.

jbeliera
Explorer
Explorer
It might be helpful to look at a lighter 5er and a little shorter. I have a used 2008 Laredo 29RL aluminum frame dry weight 7975 load capacity 2925 that puts me at 10,900
I am sure I am a little over that when the actual weight numbers are crunched, but still well under 13000 GVWR towing capacity of my 20015 GMC 2500HD. The 29RL is actually 31' to the rear ladder Plenty of room for two adults Maybe you need more room if you have a larger family If so I would reconsider the size of 2500 for what you want. You may be happier with more horses or less 5er. My Anderson hitch helps with the shorter 6.5 box and no chucking with an Anderson Ultimate Hitch...Decisions decisions life is always about decisions. Just looked at your 5er and it is definitely too much 5er for your 2500 horse.

some of the Specs on 2500 GMC HD:

Weight: 5741 lbs

Wheelbase: 133.6 in.

Engine Type: 6.0L V8
Power: 360 hp @ 5400 rpm
Torque: 380 lb-ft @ 4200 rpm
Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic

Chassis
Layout: Rear Wheel Drive
Front Suspension: Torsion-Beam
Rear Suspension: Solid Axle
Wheels
Front: 17" Steel
Front Tires: LT235/80R17
Rear: 17" Steel
Rear Tires: LT235/80R17
Trailering & Hauling
Trailer Weight: 14500 lbs
Payload: 3534
John and Judie Beliera
Anderson Ultimate Hitch

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
Robertw277 wrote:
I found that information in the Duramax diesel owners manual that came with the truck. States max 3000 pounds so that rating is coming with the known fact the truck has a diesel engine. In the column it's listed 6.6l v8 diesel.

Do you have a bare bones, regular cab 2 wheel drive pickup with no options? Probably not. Check the sticker on your drivers side door. The best way to do it. Load everyone in the pickup, dogs, gear, whatever. Then go to scales and have it weighed, I have a waste management place here that I can weigh my pickup for just the cost of the dump run. I'm at 7,700 pounds ah all of us and 9,200 GVW. I'm sure you have the exact same 9,200, just depends on what your people and gear weigh.
2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch