cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fifth Wheel Insurance - Best Buy for the Buck!

Gordon_R
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't know exactly which forum to post this in, so figured I would get the best info in this forum.

Been 7 years since we had our last Rv.

Just bought a 2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L fifth wheel trailer. I have USAA for cars and house, but, USAA sends you to Progressive.

Premium was not bad. Never had an accident (knock, knock on wood), never a claim. However!

Which insurance company, in your opinion, gives the best service and gives the best rates. I know this is a very loaded question, and I would check closely with whomever you folks have had the best and worst experience with.

I have about a week and a half to investigate before I have to buy a policy.
GORDON & LORI
U.S. Coast Guard Chief (Retired)

2016 Ford Crew Cab Lariat F-350) w/6.7 Diesel
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Semper Paratus

23 REPLIES 23

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
rbcamping wrote:
I just finished shopping for insurance and was planning on going with Good Sam with their five year replacement. They came in at just over 3000 per year including my truck and car. AAA came in at less than 1300 per year with a two year replacement. I will be reading the fine print tomorrow. Good luck out there.

In San Diego (CA and western sates) be sure to check with Wawanesa, which is HQd in San Diego.

Have had some of the agencies mentioned (inc'l Progressive), and Wawanesa beat 'em all (by a wide margin for identical coverages) - including USAA, AAA, Millers agency, etc.

Funny story about AAA - when registering a vehicle, the gal behind the counter automatically asks if you would like a quote on insurance.

Told her I recently had done that, and the AAA agent admitted he couldn't meet or beat my existing policies. (True!)

SHE (AAA employee) said, "Who do you have?"
Reply, "Wawanesa".

SHE said, "My husband and I applied to them, but they wouldn't insure us as my husband uses his car for work".

:)..:B..:)

No special deals for "bundling" - but they have my S&B also.
As well as - SUV, truck, and of course - the 5th wheel.
BTW - no "low-balling" -with increases- after first year.

BTW - have had many, many insurance companies over they years - inc'l State Farm, Mercury, Farmers, CA Casualty, Allstate, etc. - but never a claim, so no first hand experience on those - just "experienced" the premiums for same...:W

~

Gordon_R
Explorer
Explorer
As a follow-up.

My credit union got me a great deal with Safeco. Full replacement cost (not purchase price) for 5 years, 500.00 deductible for collision and comprehensive for 406.00 per year. Policy includes flatbed towing.
GORDON & LORI

2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Semper Paratus

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Nutinelse2do wrote:
Progressive was cheapest on on 5โ€™r. .... That was both basic, and full timers ins.

yep and I think USAA, does the rider thing for me.

i can't see doing a separate company for just the fifth wheel.

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good question. But like someone said, many variables. Also, are you full-timers or seasonal campers. Big difference. We have Progressive via our agent, but they seem expensive. Few have full-timers coverage such as what you would have with a home. Just changed truck insurance to Geico, but not RV coverage yet. Don't know if they have full-timers coverage. Let's see how they are covering the truck. Don't use National General. Just quit them for poor service. Progressive rates on trucks are high.

rbcamping
Explorer
Explorer
I used AAA, with two vehicles. Half the price of Good Sam, and then picked up GAP insurance. 1300. Per year for everthing including 500,000 liability with low deductible.

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
Addy15 wrote:
We ended up with coverage through Nationwide on our recent 5th wheel purchase. Total Replacement Coverage (required by lender) for four years, purchase price coverage after that, disappearing deductible. Can't speak to level of service because we've never had Nationwide before, but this was the best rate our insurance broker/agent could find for our situation.

Nationwide . . . they paid for a new roof $9,000.
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 diesel, Crew Cab, LB, SRW, 4X4, White
Cedar Creek 34SB, 37 feet 5th wheel, Reese 20K Hitch
"So many questions, so little time."

rbcamping
Explorer
Explorer
I just finished shopping for insurance and was planning on going with Good Sam with their five year replacement. They came in at just over 3000 per year including my truck and car. AAA came in at less than 1300 per year with a two year replacement. I will be reading the fine print tomorrow. Good luck out there.

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Be very careful with the wording on a stated value policy. It may or may not benefit you.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
We live in Texas. Found Progressive has been excellent for home vehicles and 5th. Hit a tree and had to put new roof on. Progressive was very good. Also had to put new house roof on due to hail and they were very easy to work with.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

Gordon_R
Explorer
Explorer
Aridon wrote:
Most important thing is to protect your $$ as long as possible. Buy a policy that offers full replacement cost. agreed valued or stated value, not one that is ACV only.

Not many companies still offer stated policies on RV's. Progressive is one.

Our credit union will have several quotes from different agencies available for us to choose from on Monday. I told them what I require. I told them it must offer full replacement cost and 500.00 deductible for 5 years and they do the leg work. Of course, I don't have to use their recommendations and can hunt on my own.

We financed with our credit union for 3.49% for 5 years and if we choose to use one of their recommendations, they pay 1/4 of the premium. Pretty nifty in my opinion.

Our credit union has been hands down, the best banking institution we have ever worked with.
GORDON & LORI

2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Semper Paratus

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine is insured to 100K, max they will cover.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
Most important thing is to protect your $$ as long as possible. Buy a policy that offers full replacement cost. agreed valued or stated value, not one that is ACV only.

Not many companies still offer stated policies on RV's. Progressive is one.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looks at adding RV to TV policy. Mine is on our Farmers policy. They even checked with Formost their subsidiary and was less adding to truck policy.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Gordon, are you sure USAA "sends" you to Progressive?

I have USAA and I think the term is that they under write the RV portion with Progressive.

I have been totally comfortable with USAA for a half century now. Also it should not be hard to beat their rates with another comp0any to get you on their payroll - then the rates will probably start inching up.