cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fifth wheel shopping question, rear tow hitch

learfxr
Explorer
Explorer
I'm starting to research fifth wheel trailers in search of our first camper. I have a 2016 dually for a tow vehicle, so size isn't a big deal. It's only me, my wife and 2 dogs.

My big question is about towing behind the fifth wheel. I have a 17.5' alum bass boat I'd like to tow behind the camper. So far the only camper I have seen with a true hitch on the back is the Jayco HT series. It has a 3000 lb hitch and not just a bike rack receiver. Are there any other trailers with a true hitch? The salesman said adding a hitch to a trailer will likely void your warranty. We like the Jayco HT trailers, but still want to shop around. I don't want to limit us to a trailer that is attempting to be "half ton towable" just because it comes with a hitch. In my searching, they don't seem to talk about this much. Even the Jayco HT barely mentions the feature of the hitch.

Thanks
24 REPLIES 24

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
WE-C-USA wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
I see you are from Texas. Before engaging any further, you should check out the laws in your state pertaining to double towing and your overall vehicle length.

In Texas, the total length you can be is 65 feet. And Texas does not allow double tow.

Check it out yourself:

Apparently, you have not spent much time in Texas. Yes 65' is the limit ๐Ÿ˜‰ but pulling a trailer/boat behind a 5W in Texas is a common.
I've done it for the last 14yrs, from NW MO to the RGV and back.

Yeah ...every clicky I've seen has my state and others with incorrect information regarding combinations...any way Texas like my state can legally tow doubles (three vehicle combinations).

Texas Vehicle Combinations
(snip)
A combination of not more than three vehicles, may be coupled together if the combination of vehicles, other than a truck-tractor combination, is not longer than 65 feet.

We towed doubles (trailer + fishing boat) all over TX in the '60s/'70s and '80s.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

WE-C-USA
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
I see you are from Texas. Before engaging any further, you should check out the laws in your state pertaining to double towing and your overall vehicle length.

In Texas, the total length you can be is 65 feet. And Texas does not allow double tow.

Check it out yourself:

Apparently, you have not spent much time in Texas. Yes 65' is the limit ๐Ÿ˜‰ but pulling a trailer/boat behind a 5W in Texas is a common.
I've done it for the last 14yrs, from NW MO to the RGV and back.
Frank & PJ
2022 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
We have towed double for 25 years without trouble. First FW was a Jayco 215SD that we towed boat/trailer combos up to 5,000 pounds. Bought a 2012 Jayco HT 26.5 RLS in 2012, had a hitch fabricated and put on that spring and have been towing our 3,500 boat/trailer combo with no problems. The welder did reinforce the frame from the back to near the axles and also set me up with an electrical hook-up. Cost about $500, but I have never once worried about whether the trailers can handle the load or, the warrant, for that matter.
John A. Lichty

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
philh wrote:
does it require a special license?

Depends on your state. In CA, double tow requires a Class A Commercial and a double endorsement. You cannot get a doubles endorsement on a non-commercial Class A, so you're forced into the full commercial license.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

TazFord
Explorer
Explorer
Our Starcraft also came with the hitch and a 4-pin.
Life long camper, First time Fiver
2018 Starcraft Solstice 29BHSโ€”2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would be afraid to buy a fifth wheel built that light that it couldn't handle a 3000 lb trailer even if I didn't plan on towing with it.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Addy15
Explorer
Explorer
Grand Design and Winnebago both come standard with 3,000# tow hitches. Their frames are specifically designed and built for it. You do need to provide your own wiring...

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
...I wouldnโ€™t worry about finding a trailer with a hitch. Find the one you want and have a good, heavy duty, hitch custom fabricated by someone local. The only part of your warranty that could be voided that way is your frame warranty, and it is likely that would only happen if you had a problem severe enough that your trailer had to go back to the factory...
One good reason you don't want the frame warranty voided, is if it isn't heavy duty enough to support the additional weight of a towed vehicle cantilevered all the way off the back of it. Seems to me if the manufacturer won't warranty the frame if you tow with it, it's probably not something you want to experiment with to see if it will work - Just My Opinion.

First, a manufacture, regardless of what industry you are in, will look for every excuse possible to get out of warranty.

Second, if you have someone who knows what they are doing fabricate the hitch, they can also reinforce any weak points they see. My frame has been reinforced all the way in front of the axles.

Finally, as I stated, there will always be people to tell you why you shouldnโ€™t tow tandem. More often then not, they have no first hand experience with it.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

prd2hnt
Explorer
Explorer
Our Chaparral 30rls has one. 3000#, 300# tongue weight. Interesting though, it does not have any connections for lights. Their way of making it difficult.

I had one custom made for our previous FW. Never a problem. In Nebraska the length limit is 65ft. With our jetski behind us, we were just under that.
Brian & Kathy
Max - 9 year old Springer
'18 Chaparral 30rls
'07 GMC Sierra Duramax 4x4 Extended cab, long box
B&W Companion Turnover Ball
'15 Bennington 21SLX

DavinD
Explorer
Explorer
Shoot, my fifth wheel is almost 42' hitch to bumper and I'm in AZ which has a 40' limit.
2018 Coachman Chaparral 381RD

TV - 2013 Ford F350 Diesel SRW 4x4 Short Bed

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bionic Man wrote:
...I wouldnโ€™t worry about finding a trailer with a hitch. Find the one you want and have a good, heavy duty, hitch custom fabricated by someone local. The only part of your warranty that could be voided that way is your frame warranty, and it is likely that would only happen if you had a problem severe enough that your trailer had to go back to the factory...
One good reason you don't want the frame warranty voided, is if it isn't heavy duty enough to support the additional weight of a towed vehicle cantilevered all the way off the back of it. Seems to me if the manufacturer won't warranty the frame if you tow with it, it's probably not something you want to experiment with to see if it will work - Just My Opinion.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer

Check it out yourself:

Click here.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Nice set up Bionic.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
For what it is worth, you are going to get some bad advice here on double/tandem towing. Lots of folks for whatever reason just donโ€™t like it.

Iโ€™ve been doing it for years, and if you are set up right, itโ€™s uneventful.

I wouldnโ€™t worry about finding a trailer with a hitch. Find the one you want and have a good, heavy duty, hitch custom fabricated by someone local. The only part of your warranty that could be voided that way is your frame warranty, and it is likely that would only happen if you had a problem severe enough that your trailer had to go back to the factory.

Here is my rig towing my 17โ€™ fishing boat.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010