cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fifth wheel to Gooseneck ????

wmiller2502
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have any problems with this setup? I just bought the gooseneck adapter and planning on installing it in the next day or so. I have a nice heavy square adapter that mounts directly to the fifth wheel pin. I am going to weld the corners to ensure no twisting and turning. I have a 34ft montana Mountaineer. Thanks for the info
2009 Montana Mountaineer 34DBQ
47 REPLIES 47

wmiller2502
Explorer
Explorer
Dsteiner, are you running a gooseneck adapter?

DSteiner51
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:

Put a 2' cheater on most any 1/2" ratchet, and you're likely to break the wrench. Translate that torque multiplication onto a GN adapter and the forces acting on the FW frame. You're, in effect, putting an 18-24" "cheater" on the king pin.

Lyle

Yes, from an engineering standpoint there is the possibility to put more stress on the hitch with an adaptor but not an 18-24" "cheater" bar. Here is mine with the long pin box. If I remember correctly in the last 5years plus, there has only been one or max two frames broken with an adaptor but more that have never been converted. Pivoting a 5th wheel beyond the couple degrees most new hitches are made to pivot to the sides so that the hitch takes the stress from the truck also far exceeds the extra stress the extra 6 inches or so will ever put on the frame.

The stress from the goose box would be identical to any other hitch with the same dimensions.

Lippert knows this yet they still only allow the goose box because it puts $$ in their coffers.
D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.

DSteiner51
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:

There is good reason why the total hitch isn't shown in these pictures. If I remember correctly these, or some like it, were posted only to be discovered it was an unconverted hitch. The factory 5th wheel hitch.
D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a reason that gooseneck trailers are made the way they are with all the framing coming to together in the center and spanning a couple feet in height! The average 5th wheel has 6 to 8 inches in height of the framing in that area and does not have braces angled into the area.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

wmiller2502
Explorer
Explorer
Dang, I sure hope I dont end up with that ^^^^^^^ Problem.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

wmiller2502
Explorer
Explorer
hmmm

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
wmiller2502 wrote:
I think I have the sand to just go with it and see what happens. No travel trailer company is going to reccommend this because it would be too much of a liabilty. I'm cool with that but i see alot of these on campers at campgrounds. I just never bothered asking anyone about them until now. YOLO !!

How do you loosen a stuck bolt/nut? You put a cheater on your wrench. Put a 2' cheater on most any 1/2" ratchet, and you're likely to break the wrench. Translate that torque multiplication onto a GN adapter and the forces acting on the FW frame. You're, in effect, putting an 18-24" "cheater" on the king pin. IMO, the Anderson (and any other raised ball-type hitch) would be the only thing I'd consider using. In AZ, =all= ball hitches must have safety chains used, so now you've also got to have chain anchors in the bed. YMMV... I have the B&W Turnover Ball and FW Companion and use (and love) both.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

wmiller2502
Explorer
Explorer
Endricken wrote:
Have used the Star Performance adapter since 07 on my Montana.
At least 3 other Gooseneck Adapter users in my RGV Winter Texan Park, towed from way up north.
Too many makers/sellers of different adapters and enough of a market to keep them all in business so any problems must be very rare if any. The marketplace rules!
What's so special about the Goosebox that any other sturdy adapter doesn't fulfill the same functional performance with the same stress?
As this topic is raised weekly, I wonder when (or why not?) the moderators will make it a sticky indicating simply caveat emptor, no evidence they do any harm.

I figured that this topic was beat to death but I just wanted to hear from some of those that have had no problems with this setup.

wmiller2502
Explorer
Explorer
Lyrikz wrote:
wmiller2502 wrote:
This is what i have.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PopUp-Industries-5th-Wheel-to-Gooseneck-Adapter-No-Offset-Fast-Free-Shipping-/181221192919?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a319ff4d7&vxp=mtr

I wouldnt use that sir unless you call your frame manufacturer.

They are going to tell me not to use it. It's too much of a liabilty for them to say yes even though they think it will work.

Endricken
Explorer
Explorer
Have used the Star Performance adapter since 07 on my Montana.
At least 3 other Gooseneck Adapter users in my RGV Winter Texan Park, towed from way up north.
Too many makers/sellers of different adapters and enough of a market to keep them all in business so any problems must be very rare if any. The marketplace rules!
What's so special about the Goosebox that any other sturdy adapter doesn't fulfill the same functional performance with the same stress?
As this topic is raised weekly, I wonder when (or why not?) the moderators will make it a sticky indicating simply caveat emptor, no evidence they do any harm.
Retired USAF
Silver 05 Dodge RAM LB CTD Dually 4Speed Auto SWD 3.73, Westin Sportsman Grill & Taillight Guards,Husky Mudguards, Retractable Ball Hitch, Onboard Air & Horns, MaxBrake - towing 2005 Keystone Montana Big Sky 3670 with Star Performance adapter

Lyrikz
Explorer
Explorer
wmiller2502 wrote:
This is what i have.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PopUp-Industries-5th-Wheel-to-Gooseneck-Adapter-No-Offset-Fast-Free-Shipping-/181221192919?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a319ff4d7&vxp=mtr

I wouldnt use that sir unless you call your frame manufacturer.

wmiller2502
Explorer
Explorer
I think I have the sand to just go with it and see what happens. No travel trailer company is going to reccommend this because it would be too much of a liabilty. I'm cool with that but i see alot of these on campers at campgrounds. I just never bothered asking anyone about them until now. YOLO !!

wmiller2502
Explorer
Explorer
This is what i have.

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
wmiller2502 wrote:
I've read some but I was hoping to hear from people who use this setup and have had good luck. I just can't see how it puts anymore stress than hooking up to a fifth wheel hitch.

Just because you can't understand it, doesn't make it true. Look on page 65 of the Feb. 2014 issue of Trailer Life and read what PopUpHitch states. If they recognize that some frames aren't strong enough (and Andersen hitch knows it too), they must recognize something that you might be missing. And since they can't supply a list of OK vs. weak frames, then it is entirely your guess about risk.

Other than the already mentioned Goose Box, if a GN adaptor is absolutely needed, then the Andersen Ultimate hitch is the safest answer (and likely why Andersen introduced it). With the ball just a few inches from the king pin, it puts far less stress on the fifth wheel frame. And since the ball is elevated, it is much easier to see from the driver's seat. Andersen also claims it doesn't need safety chains, but you should check with your state authorities.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos