cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fifth wheel to Gooseneck ????

wmiller2502
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have any problems with this setup? I just bought the gooseneck adapter and planning on installing it in the next day or so. I have a nice heavy square adapter that mounts directly to the fifth wheel pin. I am going to weld the corners to ensure no twisting and turning. I have a 34ft montana Mountaineer. Thanks for the info
2009 Montana Mountaineer 34DBQ
47 REPLIES 47

dbear
Explorer
Explorer
Lyrikz wrote:
Look fella, i spoke with them on the phone myself. I gave them part numbers to different attachments.

That was his EXACT FREAKING WORDS!!!!. EXACT. If it wasnt that Reese gooseneck box, ANY OTHER GOOSENECK ADAPTER WILL IMMEDIATELY VOID YOUR WARRANTY.
So, call them yourself.

i dont know why. I tried to contact anderson to get that information because i really like that system.
Get me some of that documentation from anderson that says that from lippert so i can contact the lippert rep again and ask more questions.

Did you specify the Anderson Ultimate hitch? My experience has been that RV and frame manufacturers stop listening if you use the words "gooseneck adapter." You have to take their little hands and lead them to address the actual unit(s) in question.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Given this much confusion about who said what, it is probably a good idea to avoid the whole thing and just use the hitch your trailer was designed for.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Lyrikz
Explorer
Explorer
ranchertx wrote:
Lippert did not say that. Or, you talked to someone that did not know what he was talking about. Maybe they are mixing up the hitches. Anderson can provide documentation from Lippert saying their system is approved by them.

I did a lot of research before changing over.

Why would it void a frame warranty?

i really want that anderson hitch fyi.

Lyrikz
Explorer
Explorer
ranchertx wrote:
Lippert did not say that. Or, you talked to someone that did not know what he was talking about. Maybe they are mixing up the hitches. Anderson can provide documentation from Lippert saying their system is approved by them.

Look fella, i spoke with them on the phone myself. I gave them part numbers to different attachments.

That was his EXACT FREAKING WORDS!!!!. EXACT. If it wasnt that Reese gooseneck box, ANY OTHER GOOSENECK ADAPTER WILL IMMEDIATELY VOID YOUR WARRANTY.
So, call them yourself.

i dont know why. I tried to contact anderson to get that information because i really like that system.
Get me some of that documentation from anderson that says that from lippert so i can contact the lippert rep again and ask more questions.

ranchertx
Explorer
Explorer

Lyrikz
Explorer
Explorer
ranchertx wrote:
I have been using the Anderson hitch, it is about the same price as a Gooseneck adapter, and it is safe. Why not go that way?

Why do you say hte anderson hitch is safe??? Lippert said straight out " anderson hitch (enter pt number i gave him" will immediately void your warranty on your frame"

That was 2 or 3 days ago that the phone call took place.

I really liked that anderson hitch setup..

ranchertx
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using the Anderson hitch, it is about the same price as a Gooseneck adapter, and it is safe. Why not go that way?

GregK
Explorer
Explorer
The way I see it, if gooseneck was completely safe for the frame the manufacturers would have it as an option when you purchase your trailer.
2010 Jayco Eagle 351RLSA on a seasonal site.

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
DSteiner51 wrote:

3. Do the math. The pivot is limited to protect your fancy truck but then it really stresses the frame. Again, do the math.
You made the claim, no one else. So I figured you already had some math to back up that claim.

DSteiner51 wrote:
Facts are facts and the facts are simply that on RV.net more frames have been reported breaking using the 5th wheel hitch then the gooseneck adaptor. Go back and check how many threads there have been. Some where closed by the moderators because of "experts".

And I said I agree with you, higher quantity of fivers using conventional hitch than GN adaptor have reported problems. Who knows what the actual probabilities are? But since you acknowledge the adaptor adds stress to the frame, it is illogical to suggest that using an adaptor can results in a lower probability of failure.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
Note from moderator... Keep it friendly..No more name calling or insults...

This topic ought to be a good discussion not a troll contest! I have deleted some posts and edited others

JohnnyT Moderator
2004 40DS02 Travel Supreme ISL 400
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F150
M&G Brake & Break Away
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar

jaycocamper6230
Explorer
Explorer
I'm gonna start pulling over every semi on the road and tell them they're doing it wrong

DSteiner51
Explorer
Explorer
Dayle1 wrote:
I agree with DSteiner51 on several points.

DSteiner51 wrote:

Yes, from an engineering standpoint there is the possibility to put more stress on the hitch with an adaptor but not an 18-24" "cheater" bar.

Actual increase in leverage is less than 18-24", can't be any longer than max length of the adaptor and may be less.

DSteiner51 wrote:
If I remember correctly in the last 5years plus, there has only been one or max two frames broken with an adaptor but more that have never been converted.

Also agreed, but why add stress to an already questionable situation? That is like playing russian roulette but adding a second bullet to increase your chances of losing.

DSteiner51 wrote:
Pivoting a 5th wheel beyond the couple degrees most new hitches are made to pivot to the sides so that the hitch takes the stress from the truck also far exceeds the extra stress the extra 6 inches or so will ever put on the frame.

While I understand your point, without some real math it is invalid to claim which stress is more or less on the fiver frame. There are several things that mitigate frame stress during extreme side pivot situations, both trailer and truck suspensions do flex and the pin box can tilt on the hitch head. Anyway, the purpose of the hitch limiting side tilt is to prevent contact between the fiver and truck bed rails and avoid other damage to both.

Oh, I agree with you on another point, with the Goose Box, Lippert is trying to capture more $$$. But just because it has the same physical dimensions as other GN configurations doesn't mean it has the same level of added stress as other GN configurations. Much depends on how well the internal cushioning works. And I give them credit for at least trying to engineer the complete system of fiver frame and adaptor and warranting the entire package, something that is impossible from other suppliers.

1. Mine adds 6 inches, not 18" to 24" as some idiot attempted to claim. Moving the hitch down on it's factory adjustment will bring it to nearly that.

2. NEVER, NEVER adjust hitch down from the very top adjustment. Why stress the frame any more then what it is from the factory's very top adjustment?

3. Do the math. The pivot is limited to protect your fancy truck but then it really stresses the frame. Again, do the math.

Facts are facts and the facts are simply that on RV.net more frames have been reported breaking using the 5th wheel hitch then the gooseneck adaptor. Go back and check how many threads there have been. Some where closed by the moderators because of "experts".
D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with DSteiner51 on several points.

DSteiner51 wrote:

Yes, from an engineering standpoint there is the possibility to put more stress on the hitch with an adaptor but not an 18-24" "cheater" bar.

Actual increase in leverage is less than 18-24", can't be any longer than max length of the adaptor and may be less.

DSteiner51 wrote:
If I remember correctly in the last 5years plus, there has only been one or max two frames broken with an adaptor but more that have never been converted.

Also agreed, but why add stress to an already questionable situation? That is like playing russian roulette but adding a second bullet to increase your chances of losing.

DSteiner51 wrote:
Pivoting a 5th wheel beyond the couple degrees most new hitches are made to pivot to the sides so that the hitch takes the stress from the truck also far exceeds the extra stress the extra 6 inches or so will ever put on the frame.

While I understand your point, without some real math it is invalid to claim which stress is more or less on the fiver frame. There are several things that mitigate frame stress during extreme side pivot situations, both trailer and truck suspensions do flex and the pin box can tilt on the hitch head. Anyway, the purpose of the hitch limiting side tilt is to prevent contact between the fiver and truck bed rails and avoid other damage to both.

Oh, I agree with you on another point, with the Goose Box, Lippert is trying to capture more $$$. But just because it has the same physical dimensions as other GN configurations doesn't mean it has the same level of added stress as other GN configurations. Much depends on how well the internal cushioning works. And I give them credit for at least trying to engineer the complete system of fiver frame and adaptor and warranting the entire package, something that is impossible from other suppliers.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I was going to respond to the OP, but why bother!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
You gotta love the folks who post a question and then only want to read answers that they agree with!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"