cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fifthwheel batteries

SDM
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at 2-12 volt Exide 27mdc batteries. They are deep cycle and not starting. We do a small amount of camping using a generator. how do the Exide batteries hold up compared to Interstate?
20 REPLIES 20

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Searching_Ut wrote:
Veebyes wrote:
..... If you are an extended tripper quite happy to be dry camping for a few days with no notice maybe hours away from the nearest Costco & don't want the chore of watering batterys, then investing in a more exotic much longer lasting, much longer service life, zero maintenance battery like an AGM makes sense.

Actually, comparable size weight and quality wet cell batteries properly maintained give a longer service life, and cycle life than AGM batteries, and they tend to hold up to abuse better too. There are good reasons why an RV'er might find it easier to properly maintain AGM, such as there lower discharge rate that helps keep them from sulfating if left in a lower state of charge. The faster acceptance of charge is definitely a plus as well, as many RVers don't fully charged their batteries. Life Cycle however is a negative when compared with wet cells when both are properly maintained.

I have had experience with both types with a large case size. Used to use a 8D wet cell in a marine application. It did not have to do much more than start the rather large diesel. I'd get 4 years out of the wet cell.

I currently have a 4D AGM in my 5er. Installed spring of 2010. 6 seasons of use. Stored every winter November to April, disconnected & no trickle charge. 7 seasons & I expect to get a couple more out of it.

Next one will be an 8D AGM if I have room. Expensive? Yes, but the longevity, the no maintenance, the ability to take a deeper discharge without damage, the ability to take a faster charge rate, the no worries of leakage & the simple elimination of the post to post cables makes it worthwhile.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
..... If you are an extended tripper quite happy to be dry camping for a few days with no notice maybe hours away from the nearest Costco & don't want the chore of watering batterys, then investing in a more exotic much longer lasting, much longer service life, zero maintenance battery like an AGM makes sense.

Actually, comparable size weight and quality wet cell batteries properly maintained give a longer service life, and cycle life than AGM batteries, and they tend to hold up to abuse better too. There are good reasons why an RV'er might find it easier to properly maintain AGM, such as there lower discharge rate that helps keep them from sulfating if left in a lower state of charge. The faster acceptance of charge is definitely a plus as well, as many RVers don't fully charged their batteries. Life Cycle however is a negative when compared with wet cells when both are properly maintained.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Yeah, I see what you meant. One less jumper. Oh well...
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

mx727
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, one less cable.

1 - Ground to 1st battery NEG
1 - 1st battery POS to 2nd battery NEG
1 - 2nd battery POS to trailer 12V
2017 Montana 3950BR

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:
shepstone wrote:
Yes on the 6 volts, I find them easier to wire up as well, 1 less cable.

Huh???

Unless I have been doing something wrong all these years, 2- 6 volts only need to be joined with one cable from pos to neg to make a 12v battery bank whereas 2- 12v need to be joined with 2 cables, pos to pos & neg to neg, to make a 12v battery bank.
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
shepstone wrote:

Huh???
2006 F250 Diesel

Sonora108
Explorer
Explorer
We Boondock almost all the time and have always used two 6 volts Trojan Batteries.
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L, B&W Hitch, Twin Honda EU2000i Generators, Tri Metric Battery Monitor, Reese 5th. Airborne.

โ€œGoing to the mountains is going home.โ€ John Muir

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Best bang for the buck is a battery bank that best suits your RVing style. If you are a weekend warrior who always has hookups, you don't need any more than what most manufacturers provide. If you are the short tripper, occasionally overnighting in Walmart or odd dry camp night, a couple of GC 6Vs will do. If you are an extended tripper quite happy to be dry camping for a few days with no notice maybe hours away from the nearest Costco & don't want the chore of watering batterys, then investing in a more exotic much longer lasting, much longer service life, zero maintenance battery like an AGM makes sense.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Best bang for the buck is a pair of 6V golf cart batteries (GC2) from Costco.

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
I like AC Delco deep cycle batteries
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

rsday75
Explorer II
Explorer II
I gotta say 2 6 volt golf cart batteries, too.
Even the cheap ones from Sam's Club will get you 220 amp hours. The last set I had lasted 9 years before we noticed a fall off in performance. Very few 12 volt batteries are really deep cycle no matter what they may say on the case.
2003 GMC Serria 2500HD D/A
2016 Jayco 355MBQS

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty sure the spell checker got him, and mean to say DEKA battery's.
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
kennethwooster wrote:
I got tired of medium quality batteries. I went with 2 decay batteries. Great quality and power. I've had them in for several years. I hardly ever have to water them. One thing that helps is running generator once per month. Great batteries.

Atomic or Betavoltaic?

Would you care to explain that in English?
2006 F250 Diesel