cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time using Dexter E-Z Lube axle

AZ_T_T
Explorer
Explorer
Today I repacked all the bearings on my FW. It's the first time I've used Dexter E-Z Lube axles, they made the job a breeze! The worst part of the whole job was that I left the FW in the backyard parked on decomposed granite. Using the jack and kneeling in the rocks were not ideal, so next year I will pull on to the driveway to do the job.

One thing about it is I had to use more grease than packing the bearings the old way, but that's a fair trade off for how fast and easy the whole thing was.
AZ T&T
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 29.5RKS
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch - Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
Honda EU2000i Generator
15 REPLIES 15

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
cwit wrote:
How many pumps on the grease gun does it take to fill the inside cavity and not push out the axel seal? I think this is an unsafe system and should never be used. I think over weight is safer than no brakes and I'm not into overloading either.

The Dexter EZ lube has been around a long time, and is a good system, if used properly. The problem is when owners never pull their hubs, to check the brakes and bearings.

If your seals are good, not reused, damaged etc., the grease should pump out the front around the zerk, if you over grease.

It would take quite a few pumps to fill the system, if there was no grease in there to start with.

Happy travels,

Jerry

cwit
Explorer
Explorer
How many pumps on the grease gun does it take to fill the inside cavity and not push out the axel seal? I think this is an unsafe system and should never be used. I think over weight is safer than no brakes and I'm not into overloading either.

AZ_T_T
Explorer
Explorer
greatwhitenorth69 wrote:
AZ T&T wrote:
pcm1959 wrote:
Good luck with that. I hope you grease and bearings were warm so it flowed easily. I hopt that you turned each wheel while pumping the grease into the hub. Turning the wheel while pumping the grease is right from the Dexter manual. In an ideal situation, they work as designed. However, most people don't use them ideally. The rusult is pushing out the rear seal and greae contaminating the brake shoe and drums resulting in virutally no brakes. I hand pack only. Hoefully you did not blow the seal. Phillip

I think it's funny when people assume they are the only ones around who can read directions.

I did everything by the book.

I think it's funny that someone would just pump grease into a hub & not actually pull it apart to inspect the bearings, to each their own I guess

Do a web search for Dexter Easy Lube Axles. That is how they are made. There are plenty of YouTube videos that show how it's done as well.
AZ T&T
Honda EU2000i Generator

greatwhitenort1
Explorer
Explorer
AZ T&T wrote:
pcm1959 wrote:
Good luck with that. I hope you grease and bearings were warm so it flowed easily. I hopt that you turned each wheel while pumping the grease into the hub. Turning the wheel while pumping the grease is right from the Dexter manual. In an ideal situation, they work as designed. However, most people don't use them ideally. The rusult is pushing out the rear seal and greae contaminating the brake shoe and drums resulting in virutally no brakes. I hand pack only. Hoefully you did not blow the seal. Phillip

I think it's funny when people assume they are the only ones around who can read directions.

I think it's funny that someone would just pump grease into a hub & not actually pull it apart to inspect the bearings, to each their own I guess

broark01
Explorer
Explorer
Just pulled all 4 of our 2008 ez-lube hubs on Cameo and replaced everything from the brake backing plate out including shoes, magnets, all bearings, races and seals. Only 1 showed any sign of grease being forced past the seal and no obvious shoe/drum contamination. The biggest shock was that the spring shackles had completely CRUSHED some of the brake wires against the frame so badly bare wire was exposed and ripped. Be sure to check all brake wires. We bought the 5th wheel used and you never know what the guy before you did and how often he did it.

AZ_T_T
Explorer
Explorer
pcm1959 wrote:

AZ T&T
Honda EU2000i Generator

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck with that. I hope your grease and bearings were warm so it flowed easily. I hope that you turned each wheel while pumping the grease into the hub. Turning the wheel while pumping the grease is right from the Dexter manual. In an ideal situation, they work as designed. However, most people don't use them ideally. The rusult is pushing out the rear seal and grease contaminating the brake shoes and drums resulting in virutally no brakes. I hand pack only. Hoefully you did not blow the seal. Phillip
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

Pauljdav
Explorer
Explorer
I am gong to check my bearings this year. I am undecided on using the E-Z lube or not. I just repacked my boat bearings by hand and that was not too hard.

I would feel more confident in the EZ feature if there was a way to check the brake shoes for grease without removing the hub.

I also have the aluminum wheels. I wish they has a removable center cap (the center cap I have can only be removed once I take off the wheel) so I could take the hub and wheel off as one assembly like my boat. That would also save a lot of time.

Paul

AZ_T_T
Explorer
Explorer
bobsallyh wrote:
Before you "repacked" did you pull the hub off the spindle and actually check the bearings and look to see how much grease was already in the hub?

Nope that is the joy of the Dexter Easy Lube. The spindle is hollow, so the grease goes to the inside bearing and the pushes the old grease forward. You pump the grease in until you only have new grease coming out.
AZ T&T
Honda EU2000i Generator

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Before you "repacked" did you pull the hub off the spindle and actually check the bearings and look to see how much grease was already in the hub?

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
cwit wrote:
Pumping to fast is not as much of a problem as knowing when to stop.

:h

cwit
Explorer
Explorer
Pumping to fast is not as much of a problem as knowing when to stop.

AZ_T_T
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
As long as you did not do it TOO fast. Slow easy pumping with a manual grease gun while continuously turning the wheel and it works great. Pumping too fast or too hard can push grease past the seals.

I did the job with my 3 year old grandson asking me "what's that every 30 seconds" and then "borrowing" my tools. I would say there was absolutely no chance of going too fast! But seriously I can't imagine anyone using a manual grease gun could add the grease to fast.
AZ T&T
Honda EU2000i Generator

Rob_Fla
Explorer
Explorer
I went ahead and pulled my wheel hubs this weekend while installing a wet bolt kit.
I was going to repack the bearings and use the Dexter Easy Lube but I wanted to inspect the brakes so I pulled the hubs.
Found one the self adjuster spring broken when I removed the hub.
Found one of the leaf springs did not have a plastic bushing in it (No evidence there was every one), guess now I know where the squeaking noise has been coming from.
2014 Redwood 38FL
2018 RAM 3500 DRW