cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fulltimers....what's your favorite 5er?

joeburnes
Explorer
Explorer
I'm about to start fulltiming and have never owned a 5er. I'm looking to buy a used one due to budget. I want to get a unit that I know the construction is good in so I don't buy a brand that is falling apart on me. Please let me know which ones to look at that will stand the test of time and which ones to definitely stay away from. And most importantly, "why" you feel the way you do.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

EDIT: I'll need a "4 seasons" one as I'll be all over the country at different times of year.
Remember: If you light a man a fire, he's warm for one night....but, if you light a man ON fire, he's warm for the rest of his life!
36 REPLIES 36

missourijan
Explorer
Explorer
Drv, Excel, Jayco, Travel Supreme

Boxer_Lovers
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on many consideration starting with budget. You can find used high end units for about the same money as the mid-line new rigs.

You could add DRV, formerly Doubletree, to your prospects.
Dave, Robin, and Buster the Boxer
2008 Beaver Contessa, 42, Caterpillar 425
Toad 2017 Ram 1500, Quad Cab, Limited, M&G brake, Blue Ox.

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Ours! We bought her used in 2013, and knock on wood, haven't had any problems, except filling the fresh water tank, which was easily resolved.
DH had to replaced the front landing gear about 6 mo ago, and we got a new fridge by choice, but she is a little gem.
We love her so much, she is getting surgery on Tuesday. Having IS and disc brakes installed by Mor Ryde.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stay away from the cheap ones. I feel the way I do because time after time 'you get what you pay for.'

My Okanagan has held together very well for 12 years.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Someone just posted a day or two ago about some that used Lippert frames that had cracking issues in the pin box area. Seem to remember some having cracked frames in the suspension area also but dont remember the frame manufacturer. You may want to research things like that.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
No matter the brand, or the price range. There are those for each brand who have great service and few problems. And there are those with the same brand who have had nothing but problems. If you have read this forum long enough, you will know that is true. Pretty much a cr@p shoot and hope you are a lucky one.

We bought our Montana new in 2007 and is really pretty incredible how few problems we have had, especially so when you consider the punishment these things go thru bouncing down our rough highways.

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
Cedar Creek hands down! Their after the sale customer service is the best and they make a great fiver, ours is 8 years old now and I really can't justify buying a new fiver.
07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blücher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...