cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generator Advise

ianmac23
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are thinking about getting a 5th wheel this year and are trying to plan things out. We travel about 45 nights a year and like to go to races where we would use generator power for up to 4 days at a time. I was thinking about a Onan 5k or doing 3 Honda 2000's. We would use the generator twice a year when traveling to our vacation sites on breaks and at night. We would also use it once a year at a track. If you use your generator when traveling I would like to hear about your experiences and options.
2010 GMC Sierra, 1500, SLT, Crew Cab, Short Bed, 6.2L, Max Towing Package,2011 Keystone Passport Ultralight Limited Edition
32 REPLIES 32

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we had our trailer, it had a single 13K AC and a microwave oven. I purchased an EU2000 Honda, and it had difficulty starting the AC, but would handle the microwave ok. So if you will have "more" 120vac appliances than that, I would go with either dual EU2000 units or a single Eu3000 unit. Please stay away from those contractor type generators you find at Home Depot/Lowes as they are so loud they'll cause your neighbors to get a mite upset.

Ron

PS...By the way, you're asking for "advice" (a noun), but some one can "advise" (verb) you on what to get. These are often misused along with break and brake, to and too, and lose and loose. I'm sure there are plenty others...
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 13,500 Ac unit in our FW and power it with a Honda 3000 remote start bolted in the truck bed. I also built metal enclosure that is ventilated with a 10" axial fan..
I ran an 8 gauge cord from a transfer switch up along the pinbox.

We also power the hair dryer and microwave. We invert for the 40 in television and other small stuff.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I would get a hybrid inverter which will take of the start up surge and a single generator. I did splurge and have electric start on the Yamaha Sieb that I purchased.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.