cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generator question

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am thinking of getting a generator for my fifth wheel. Not sure which route I should go and why. Do I go for an onboard generator or a portable and how big for either? I want to primarily use it for traveling to distant locations (the trip there) and not for when I get there. In other words, I will not be boondocking other than stopping for the night (or when tired) and catching some shut eye for a few hours or overnight. Any help would be appreciated. I have 2 AC's but not sure if I would be using both of them on the trip to lets say Florida for example.
58 REPLIES 58

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Think hard about location and where your living space is. Gensets even quieter ones can be a pain!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
StirCrazy wrote:
Lantley wrote:
This is how I travel occasionally as well. The built in allows you to be fully self contained with ease.
Pin Box mount is not a bad idea, but not quite push button convenience. You have to protect the genset from the elements somehow? You have to get out the cord, put it away, start the genset outside....maybe you have remote start? Hopefully you have electric start and not pulling a cord!

Im not sure if I like the pin box mount idea. nice out of the way to carry it but if you had to run the ac in a truck stop or road side pull out that would make a awful rumble in the bedroom haha.

Adding fuel when the truck is disconnected? Maybe a carrying place...but seems to be a pain in the arse! Back rack or in front of the hitch like I use to do is better.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lantley wrote:
This is how I travel occasionally as well. The built in allows you to be fully self contained with ease.
Pin Box mount is not a bad idea, but not quite push button convenience. You have to protect the genset from the elements somehow? You have to get out the cord, put it away, start the genset outside....maybe you have remote start? Hopefully you have electric start and not pulling a cord!

Im not sure if I like the pin box mount idea. nice out of the way to carry it but if you had to run the ac in a truck stop or road side pull out that would make a awful rumble in the bedroom haha.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
And my point was...it depends on how the manufacturer sets up the spec. You have peak instantaneous/short term output (like the old hondas) vs continuous rating (like my old yamaha).

If the generator is rated on continuous output, a 3000w generator will outdo a 30amp pedestal because the peak rating is typically 20-30% higher.

Reality is this is mostly nitpicking because if it can kick the compressor over, you are generally good to go as no one is or should be pulling 3600w continuously with a 30amp rig (30amp outlet is only rated for 80% continuous). If you are lucky, it will just pop a breaker trying to pull 3600w but it's easy to burn things up in the process.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
valhalla360 wrote:
Lantley wrote:
For the record a 3000 watt genset does not have the same power as a 30 amp pedestal. A pedestal has 120 volts x 30 amps = 3600 watts vs. 3000 for the genset.
Not a huge difference and not a deal breaker, but a not quite equal either.

Depends how the generator is spec'd...and that's all over the place.

Had a Yamaha 2400 that could spike to over 3000w for startup loads. The aircon typically pulled 1200-1500w, so it worked fine with enough for other light loads (fridge, tv, lights, etc...)

The tried and true Honda 2000w units peak at 2000w with a continuous output of 1600w.

A 30amp campground pedestal is only rated for 24amps (2800w) continuous load.

In terms of generators, 3000w is typically suggested as the minimum size where it can reliably kick over the air/con compressor without modifications to the air/con unit and you aren't running the generator at max rating all the time.

My only point is that none of the 3000 watt gensets are not putting out the power equivalent of a 30 amp pedestal which is 3600 watts.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Lantley wrote:
For the record a 3000 watt genset does not have the same power as a 30 amp pedestal. A pedestal has 120 volts x 30 amps = 3600 watts vs. 3000 for the genset.
Not a huge difference and not a deal breaker, but a not quite equal either.

Depends how the generator is spec'd...and that's all over the place.

Had a Yamaha 2400 that could spike to over 3000w for startup loads. The aircon typically pulled 1200-1500w, so it worked fine with enough for other light loads (fridge, tv, lights, etc...)

The tried and true Honda 2000w units peak at 2000w with a continuous output of 1600w.

A 30amp campground pedestal is only rated for 24amps (2800w) continuous load.

In terms of generators, 3000w is typically suggested as the minimum size where it can reliably kick over the air/con compressor without modifications to the air/con unit and you aren't running the generator at max rating all the time.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
You folks are giving me great ideas and things to think about. Thank you so much.I am just glad this is not a purchase I have to make real soon, lots of things to consider.

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was looking at a 3800 watt (peak) and I think it is a 3000 or up to 3400 (cannot recall right at this moment)..Are the Harbor Freight ones quiet? I have heard mixed things about them (the generators) and some of their stuff is not the highest quality but I still buy a few things from them.

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered my Pinnacle with the Onan 5500 propane and 3 x 40 lbs. tanks. Love it and works perfect what I needed. That 5500 gen is very quite and smooth.
B&W Ram Companion

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
Another option that I am looking at is a generator slide out tray.
I could put my portable in the compartment intended for a generator, out of sight and locked up. Then slide out the tray to run (for ventilation purposes).
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
The photo I posted of the pin box mount is not my rig. I posted a generic photo I found on the internet to give the OP an idea of what a pin Box mount looked like.
But as some have pointed out all portables are not created equal.
Potables come in all sizes, weights, noise levels and price points.
Choosing the right RV portable generator is all part of the process.
Correct Trax,Splendide

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
pin box mounted genset

Your neighbours must love you with that thing. I would not want to be within 100yds of it. Don't care where it is mounted.

Moderator edit to re-size image to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
muffler is close to front cap ??
B&W Ram Companion

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I believe they are generally home made

Correct Trax,Splendide

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks, Lantley. I don't see an issue with that with my 8' bed. Who sells them? Or is it home made?
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah