cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generators for 5th wheel power

bcircus
Explorer
Explorer
I searched and read several posts about the generators but none directly answered what size. I have 13500 btu A/C unit need to run while parked on road. What type/size would I need to have for temporary power on the road and at rest areas in order to sleep in hot weather?
30 REPLIES 30

Bamaman11
Explorer
Explorer
6600 watts will certainly work, but your gasoline costs may be pretty high. The inverter generators throttle down to match the watt load, which makes them quieter and much cheaper to run than a 12 hp 3600 rpm motor running full out all the time.

I'm sold on the Champion 3100 inverter generator at around $950. Overstock.com had them much cheaper recently--and new customers often get a 10% discount PIN # upon signup. Customer ratings are good, and the company seems to be very customer oriented--especially for a Far East company.

bcircus
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at a used 6600w Yamaha generator. Can I use this for 5th wheel power for TV, computer, 13,500 AC. Do I need an inverter gen. or will this work?

waltbennett
Explorer
Explorer
bcircus wrote:
If you are in an area where you can't run generator full time... With the run time restrictions what about a bank of batteries that can be charged up using the Generator. Then, by using an inverter you could run a fan or small appliances. At least a fan could help with cooling without A/C. Is this possible?

You've either got to get a quality inverter generator (Yamaha, Honda, Robin/Subaru) or go solar with more than 4 big Trojan T105s. I just finished installing a 400 watt system with four T105s. Although I was planning on adding a 2kw inverter, I found a 3k one on eBay for about half price. This inverter would run the 15k btu AC on our Monty, but probably only for about an hour at best with only four batteries. Since the four I put in cost over $700, I'm not adding any more. They will let me microwave some popcorn and watch 8 hours of TV with the home theater system running AND run a fan for over 10 hours. That's good enough. If we opt to spend the night at a Walmart or truck stop when we need AC, I'll fire up the Harbor Freight $300 guy. Otherwise we'll be somewhere with power if it's hot.
'06 F350 TD, Softopper, airbags, AeroShield, coolant filter
'10 3665RE Hickory edition, wetbolts, Firestone LTs, Trimetric Battery Monitor, 4x100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking.

bcircus
Explorer
Explorer
If you are in an area where you can't run generator full time... With the run time restrictions what about a bank of batteries that can be charged up using the Generator. Then, by using an inverter you could run a fan or small appliances. At least a fan could help with cooling without A/C. Is this possible?

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
The thief issue of generators is a real world thing to think about... I would never leave my trailer unattended at a camp ground day or night with a generator sitting outside chained to the trailer jack or what ever.

Even the fancy secured generator would still be open game for thieves.

ALL PHOTOS from GOOGLE Images

The only thing that works well for most of us is out-of-sight out-of-mind.

My generator is secured in the tailgate corner of my truck and covered with a locked FOLD-A-COVER bed cover. Of course if the thieves want it they will get it. My generator goes where I go

Another issue with generators at most public camp grounds especially here on the East side of the US is the use of the generators all seem to have run time restrictions in place. Most are usually from 8AM to 10Am and then again form 4:30PM to 7:30PM. Some Natl Forest areas may have 8AM-8PM run time hours. Finding a place that lets you run the generator after 8PM is non-existent at the places we go to. The East side of the US has very few DISPERSED camping areas. Maybe a few private areas around. NASCAR places are free to do whatever you want I guess... This is much relaxed the further West you go where more open areas are available... Here on the East side there really isn't enough time to cool your trailer down with running generators due to the run time restrictions in place...

We only run our generator to re-charge our battery banks in a quick three hour run time when camping off the power grids.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
The thief issue of generators is a real world thing to think about... I would never leave my trailer unattended at a camp ground day or night with a generator sitting outside chained to the trailer jack or what ever.

Even the fancy secured generator would still be open game for thieves.

ALL PHOTOS from GOOGLE Images

The only thing that works well for most of us is out-of-sight out-of-mind.

My generator is secured in the tailgate corner of my truck and covered with a locked FOLD-A-COVER bed cover. Of course if the thieves want it they will get it. My generator goes where I go

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Bamaman1 wrote:
laknox wrote:
bcircus wrote:
Thanks, that answers that. Still undecided on one 3000w or the paralleled 2000w. Experiences and opinions appreciated

On paper, I like the Yamahas that have the burst capability. They use juice from the starter battery for about 10 or 15 seconds to help with starting the A/C. No less than 3000w, IMO. I'm also a fan of the inverter-style generators, both for noise as well as economy.

Lyle

I agree with what's said about the Yamaha. It's relatively heavy @ 154 pounds--20 pounds heavier than the Honda EU3000. Both have wheels, however. With a ramp and a "come a long", it'd be relatively easy to get them into and out of the basement of a fifth wheel trailer.

Many generators are in the back of a pickup truck bed and linked by heavy extension cord. My wife wouldn't like me cutting off her a/c and electricity when I drove to the grocery.

Another option would be to add a receiver hitch to the rear of a travel trailer/fifth wheel trailer and use a flat rack. Generators can be mounted in an aluminum flip top tool chest (from a pickup truck) and run with the top up. They can also be secured with locks.

More-or-less, that rack is what I'd like to do.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Bamaman11
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
bcircus wrote:
Thanks, that answers that. Still undecided on one 3000w or the paralleled 2000w. Experiences and opinions appreciated

On paper, I like the Yamahas that have the burst capability. They use juice from the starter battery for about 10 or 15 seconds to help with starting the A/C. No less than 3000w, IMO. I'm also a fan of the inverter-style generators, both for noise as well as economy.

Lyle

I agree with what's said about the Yamaha. It's relatively heavy @ 154 pounds--20 pounds heavier than the Honda EU3000. Both have wheels, however. With a ramp and a "come a long", it'd be relatively easy to get them into and out of the basement of a fifth wheel trailer.

Many generators are in the back of a pickup truck bed and linked by heavy extension cord. My wife wouldn't like me cutting off her a/c and electricity when I drove to the grocery.

Another option would be to add a receiver hitch to the rear of a travel trailer/fifth wheel trailer and use a flat rack. Generators can be mounted in an aluminum flip top tool chest (from a pickup truck) and run with the top up. They can also be secured with locks.

GON2SKI
Explorer
Explorer
Ordered the 5500 LP Onan vs the 3500 unit and very happy with additional capacity and quiet operation.
2014 Arctic Fox 27-5L 5.5 Onan propane, 4pt AutoLevel, RearCam, Central Vacuum Bridgestone R250's tires
2002 F350 Power Stroke Diesel 4x4 CC SRW SB Chipped, Toyo Tuff HT tires
DW and 2 Bull Terriers

Here For A Good Time.... Not For A Long Time

Softballdad
Explorer
Explorer
I had two parallel Honda eu2000 that didnโ€™t work for me. They used some gas to run the AC. That set up struggled to keep the AC running, so I switched to a 5.5 Onan and have power to spare.
JOB 1 '08 F-350 4X4 LARIAT CC 6.4 DRW 4.10
B&W COMPANION 5TH WHEEL HITCH
EDGE INSIGHT GAUGE CLUSTER
FORD MOBILE EASE HANDS FREE SYSTEM
08 HEARTLAND BIGHORN 3670RL

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 7.5 Onan and it runs at near idle with 1 AC with ample power for anything. You cannot hear it inside when the AC is running and idles when its off.Bought ours use from salvage yard with 250 hrs.

Ropdoc
Explorer
Explorer
avvidclif1 wrote:
Miller Bobcat welder. 10kw and 50A socket.

Thank you for the info. those are expensive. To rich for my blood. That is why I am trying to barter.

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
Miller Bobcat welder. 10kw and 50A socket.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

Ropdoc
Explorer
Explorer
I am having trouble finding one with a 50 amp socket. I am trying to barter an aircompressor or FL350 for it. Would like one over 7000 so I can run power tools and stuff. :h