cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

B&W Hitch

cuzbcuz
Explorer
Explorer
Assembled our new Companion Hitch today, hooked up to our 5er and towed it for a few miles, the coupling and uncoupling were the best I have seen. The hitch is quiet and smooth. I am very impressed so far !
Rick,Shauna, Kato, Zookey
2021 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi etorque
2021 Coleman Lantern 244bh
18 REPLIES 18

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
sdetweil wrote:
because I have rails, I have the B&W Patroit hitch. same excellent hitch quality.

on my truck the hitch is slightly loose in the rails, and makes an annoying small clunk on start/stop at traffic lights..
I found a set of rubber pads put between the hitch and rails to take up the extra space.

Curt rail silencers

x2. I too have the rails and Patriot. My rails are well used and I get some clanking form the base rocking on the rails. I just wedged in some thin metal shims. After that it's super smooth and quiet.

Funny thing happened when we 1st got our B&W. After about a 1/2 seasons use I started to hear what I thought were my springs really squeaking on the 5'er. Drove around like that for a couple trips. One day while fiddling with the hitch I noticed that the two metal tabs that keep the head level were causing the squeak. Sprayed some WD40 on them and they haven't squeaked since.

Thats one heavy fiddle !! ๐Ÿ™‚ :B
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
sdetweil wrote:
because I have rails, I have the B&W Patroit hitch. same excellent hitch quality.

on my truck the hitch is slightly loose in the rails, and makes an annoying small clunk on start/stop at traffic lights..
I found a set of rubber pads put between the hitch and rails to take up the extra space.

Curt rail silencers

x2. I too have the rails and Patriot. My rails are well used and I get some clanking form the base rocking on the rails. I just wedged in some thin metal shims. After that it's super smooth and quiet.

Funny thing happened when we 1st got our B&W. After about a 1/2 seasons use I started to hear what I thought were my springs really squeaking on the 5'er. Drove around like that for a couple trips. One day while fiddling with the hitch I noticed that the two metal tabs that keep the head level were causing the squeak. Sprayed some WD40 on them and they haven't squeaked since.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
laknox wrote:
nremtp143 wrote:
Congrats on the B&W! I've had my Companion now through 3 trucks, all with Turnover Ball hitched that I put in myself. Now, two of my closest friends have B&Ws too. One with a Ford OEM and one with the Turnover Ball/Companion like mine...oh and two others WANTING one!

I have the TO Ball, too, as we have a gooseneck trailer and I =love= the clean bed when nothing's needed. I installed my own hitch and helped my brother do his. Only issue I had was getting up the nerve to drill that 4" hole in my bed! ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle

Per their direction the hole lines up perfectly. Did my one on my 98 and current 11. The 13 and 14's are even easier if they don't have the factory prep.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
nremtp143 wrote:
Congrats on the B&W! I've had my Companion now through 3 trucks, all with Turnover Ball hitched that I put in myself. Now, two of my closest friends have B&Ws too. One with a Ford OEM and one with the Turnover Ball/Companion like mine...oh and two others WANTING one!

I have the TO Ball, too, as we have a gooseneck trailer and I =love= the clean bed when nothing's needed. I installed my own hitch and helped my brother do his. Only issue I had was getting up the nerve to drill that 4" hole in my bed! ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
cuzbcuz wrote:
Assembled our new Companion Hitch today, hooked up to our 5er and towed it for a few miles, the coupling and uncoupling were the best I have seen. The hitch is quiet and smooth. I am very impressed so far !

My only true complaint about it is that mine tends to tip forward when not hitched and with the latch handle extended, so you have to tip it back just before contact with the pin. B&W did send me their little "leveling kit", and it helps, but a $1 rubber bungee cord hooked through the side plate holes and stretched up over the big fore/aft bolt works better. Don't know if the newer designs are a bit better balanced, but I'm not planning on buying one, so I don't care. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Montana 3790RD, Legacy Edition, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer

Curt rail silencers
2012 Ford F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel.
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB

glazier
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had always bought turnover balls for our Gooseneck applications. When I bought my first fifth wheel in 07 I installed a Reese Signature Series non sliding hitch to use with a Sidewinder. I had no major problems with that set-up, and at that time the Companion did not have a slider. When I saw the Companion Slider I had no doubts about what hitch my new truck would get. It's hard to beat a B&W hitch, they operate so smooth and rattle free. My Slider is as solid as the regular Companion, zero noise.
2017 Grand Design Momentum 328M
2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax CC/SB/4X4
B&W Companion Slider

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
After Husky, Reese, and yes even Pullright the B&W is by far the best and easiest hitch. I do like the Pullright, but hated the maintaince of the slider, which is easier on the new units. The only thing I don't like about the B&W a guy 5"2" is I have to have a ladder and crawl into the bed to reach the handle and put the keeper pin in. Other then that it is great
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
I was lucky, I did research and decided on BW then when I bought the dealer there in a hitch, saying he only sells the best hitch, yep a BW.

lpxguy
Explorer
Explorer
sljkansas wrote:
Did you get the spring that holds the head flat ( or at whatever pitch you want it.) If not call B&W with your serial number, and they will send it to you. It fixes the only drawback that I could find with the hitch.

it comes with the new ones
2005 GMC Sierra 3500 CC DRW D/A(FOR SALE)
2013 Crusader 335BHS TE(FOR SALE)

sljkansas
Explorer
Explorer
Did you get the spring that holds the head flat ( or at whatever pitch you want it.) If not call B&W with your serial number, and they will send it to you. It fixes the only drawback that I could find with the hitch.
Steve & Linda
Son married (1 DIL, 3 granddaughters 1 grandson)
Daughter Married.
Miami Co. Kansas
2004 F350 CC dually 8ft bed 6.0 PSD
2009 Bighorn 3670RL
B&W under bed hitch with 18k companion hitch

Tango__AE7UI
Explorer
Explorer
When we bought our fifth wheel several years ago, a friend a work suggested the B&W since that is what he had.
Best choice for a hitch in my opinion.
2007 Tango 2660RKS Fifth Wheel, 2006 Chevy D/A 3500 with service body,

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
Halmfamily wrote:
We went from a Reese 16 K to the B&W, night and day difference. Worth every penny and will always use the B&W. Wish I would have listened the first time.

X2.
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD