mgpassport
Explorer
Explorer
Do FW come with generator like MH do..../
37 REPLIES 37

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Something to consider. We opted for the 240V dryer and assumed that the Cummins/Onan 6500 LP Gen would run the dryer. It was brought to my attention by a member (Chris Bryant?) that the only way the gen would work if it were the same gen but in the commercial version. DRV would NOT let Cummins/Onan install the Commercial version even tho C/O said it would work fine and they would do it DRV said they had not gone thru all the testing to approve it.

I was not happy! So C/O did the gen prep and RollingRetreats did the gen install.

The only thing that will not run is the dishwasher, it has something to do with needing "clean power".

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
mgpassport wrote:
Thanks for the reply's, I was just curious.
I just thought that FW that cost around $50.000 should come with one like a MH.
Sometimes I think to much....LOL

With that, I wouldn't look at a 5th wheel without the generator prep package at least. It's a pain in the keester to install a generator without the prep if you decide later. The prep should come with a heat shield, transfer switch, and a remote switch to start from inside.

Mine cost me about $1200 to add myself. ATS, Wiring, Enclosure, propane plumbing and remote control box (vs trying to run wires to the switch panel, and wanting autostart on heat or cold)
2012 Ford F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel.
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
laknox wrote:
Another thing to consider, is that the Onans are all straight generators, meaning that they run at idle with no load, or they run wide open with even the smallest load.

Lyle

Did Onan change something? Mine runs at a fixed throttle whether under load or not.

mine also, 3600 rpm

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
mgpassport wrote:

With that, I wouldn't look at a 5th wheel without the generator prep package at least. It's a pain in the keester to install a generator without the prep if you decide later. The prep should come with a heat shield, transfer switch, and a remote switch to start from inside.

2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
Another thing to consider, is that the Onans are all straight generators, meaning that they run at idle with no load, or they run wide open with even the smallest load.

Lyle

Did Onan change something? Mine runs at a fixed throttle whether under load or not.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
dapperdan wrote:
Hey Rusty did DRV put that outlet on your trailer or did you do it yourself? Just curious, we have the same trailer as you, with the gen prep.

Sorry for hi jacking this thread, sorry. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Dan

Yes, RVs for Less ordered it with the "semi" generator prep package. It has the receptacle, generator control panel, transfer switch, etc., but not the generator box in the front compartment.

Here's the receptacle (excuse the water spots on the camera lens.) You can see it to the left of the front compartment door on the front photo.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
RustyJC wrote:
sdetweil wrote:
I converted my Onan to Propane, as I didn't want to carry gas. We pulled into Little Rock, two weeks ago at 96degrees (feels like 102), after towing all day with outside temps over 105. I started the gen and the A/C as we waited to register, pull to our site and setup. turned it off after I connected shore power, and the ATS switched back.

Also started it at a rest stop to heat some stuff in the microwave for lunch.

can't do that very easily with a portable.

Actually, our 5th wheel has a generator prep with a 50 amp twist-lock Marinco receptacle on the front of the 5th wheel. We carry 2 Yamaha EF2000iS generators (paralleled) in the back of the truck that are connected to the 5th wheel via a 30 amp cord. We can run the Yamahas going down the road to pre-cool the 5th wheel, run the microwave, etc.

Rusty

Nice!.. haven't seen any others like that..

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Rusty did DRV put that outlet on your trailer or did you do it yourself? Just curious, we have the same trailer as you, with the gen prep.

Sorry for hi jacking this thread, sorry. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Dan

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
sdetweil wrote:
I converted my Onan to Propane, as I didn't want to carry gas. We pulled into Little Rock, two weeks ago at 96degrees (feels like 102), after towing all day with outside temps over 105. I started the gen and the A/C as we waited to register, pull to our site and setup. turned it off after I connected shore power, and the ATS switched back.

Actually, our 5th wheel has a generator prep with a 50 amp twist-lock Marinco receptacle on the front of the 5th wheel. We carry 2 Yamaha EF2000iS generators (paralleled) in the back of the truck that are connected to the 5th wheel via a 30 amp cord. We can run the Yamahas going down the road to pre-cool the 5th wheel, run the microwave, etc.

Rusty

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
ford-willy wrote:
Most inboard generators in 5th wheels run on propane. Very impractical and a pain to keep up on filling your propane bottles constantly. I believe only toy haulers come with gasoline operated gens. Like others I just carry two 2000 Super quiet Hondas. One must be a "companion" 2000 Honda. If your not needing much power just run one. If you need to run an air conditioner or use the microwave run both by using a simple parallel wire connector kit and you have a 4000 watt output.

I hear yah. I converted my Onan to Propane, as I didn't want to carry gas. We pulled into Little Rock, two weeks ago at 96degrees (feels like 102), after towing all day with outside temps over 105. I started the gen and the A/C as we waited to register, pull to our site and setup. turned it off after I connected shore power, and the ATS switched back.

ford-willy
Explorer
Explorer
Most inboard generators in 5th wheels run on propane. Very impractical and a pain to keep up on filling your propane bottles constantly. I believe only toy haulers come with gasoline operated gens. Like others I just carry two 2000 Super quiet Hondas. One must be a "companion" 2000 Honda. If your not needing much power just run one. If you need to run an air conditioner or use the microwave run both by using a simple parallel wire connector kit and you have a 4000 watt output.
2009 Grand Junction 335TRL--2011 F350 Lariat 4X4 Dually Crew Cab, 6.7 Diesel, 6 Speed Auto, 3:73 Gears--One Great Towing Machine.---------
2016 Forest River Salem T21RBS

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
TGPILOT wrote:
MPI_Mallard wrote:
I carry a Honda 3000 on a rack on the rear of my fiver, why I like having a separate genny is being able to use it for other purposes also maintenece and repairs are easily done and a comparable genny like an onan would cost a lot more and chew up the space in the forward storage bay. Also as they are usually mounted in the front storage bay migrating exhaust fumes would concern me opposed to mine that easily vents out into open air on the rear racksomething to consider!

Red Green;
Remember, If it moves and it shouldn't, duck-tape,
if doesn't move and it should,WD40!!

That looks like a single receiver input and not a double. How does it hold up and what did it cost to have the thing installed? I tried a new EU3000IS, only ran it about fifteen minutes only to find that it kept going into overload.

I kept reducing the load, didn't help, so I bought a 5000IS and right now it's in the back of my truck between the tool box and the hitch. So far, I've only had a chance to run it one night and it ran everything in a Pilot parking lot and ran about 12 hours on one tank.

Yes it's a single receiver but it's way over built with additional steel collar around the receiver, the whole thing was built by honourable son #1 who is a master welder and a heck of a fabricator so everything is stainless and so-on, I also carry a full size grill and two mountain bikes

which has worked perfectly for years!

Red Green:
So remember,If women don't find you handsome,
they can sure find you handy.
07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blรผcher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
my FW did not come with genset, nor gen prepped.. but I wanted one anyhow.

here is my story about the install
genset install

just returned from vacation, used the genset twice, and it performed as expected

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
A MH generator is required to run the coach A/C units to keep the passengers cool during travel. Since no one rides in a 5th wheel, a generator is not required while traveling. They are nice, however, to power the A/Cs to pre-cool the 5th wheel before arrival at the campsite. The downside in a 5th wheel is the weight and the storage space they consume, plus propane generators are fuel hogs, so keeping the tanks filled becomes a chore.

Rusty

B&W RVK3600

mgpassport
Explorer
Explorer