cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Getting a 2017 Forrest River Wildcat 29rlx 5th wheeler...

Jim102
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have one? What do you think? Feels like a solid unit...

Thanks, Jim
2018 Jayco Precept 29V Class A
Air Force 1969 - 1973
11 REPLIES 11

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
I did not get the outside fridge, that appears to be a later 2017 change.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

Jim102
Explorer
Explorer
I am also swapping the tires to Maxxis,I had a new set on the trailer that I'm trading in and the dealer OK'ed it.
Jim
Air Force 1969 - 1973

Jim102
Explorer
Explorer
Good to hear there are no leaks,seems like all the changes are good also. Did you get the outside bar fridge? Do all units get one?
Jim
Air Force 1969 - 1973

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Mine don't have the auto level, it was a unit they had in stock. No leaks on the shower or any plumbing for that matter and I do keep an eye on the plumbing for leaks.

The only difference I noticed between the 16' and 17' is that the 17's the basement doors are a little shorter in width (basement is still the same size) and that allows you to open the the basement door without interfering with the entry door if that makes sense. On the other side the shorter (again in width not hieght) you can open it fully without interfering with the bedroom slide. The 16's we saw they had the support arms as it would hit the slide otherwise. To me that's an improvement. I hate it when doors interfere with each other, something we always seemed to have in our previous units. Hope that made sense also

Also I noticed they are starting to add refrigerators to the outside storage compartment that is behind the fireplace. It's seems they pulled the fireplace further into the room to make the compartment deeper.

Dan

Jim102
Explorer
Explorer
Dan, thanks for the review. We are getting the dinette instead of the table/chairs. Do you know how the 2017 is different than the 2016? Did they change/improve the stero? It seems like the stero can only play am/fm since the TV has the sound bar......How do you like the auto leveling option? Does the shower leak?
Thanks, Jim
Air Force 1969 - 1973

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, we have that exact same unit. Bought ours this spring as a 2017 unit. So far so good as we haven't had to bring it back for anything yet. A couple of small minor things that I can take care of myself which is no big deal plus I kind of expect those type of things to happen. There are some things I don't care for but then again there is no perfect unit.

We looked at a lot of units in this price range and this one we kept going back too. Wife and I don't care for the double entry bath that so many units have these days. Plus this give the bath a really large shower. That reminds me, the shower floor is flat so it doesn't drain the best and we use a squeegee to help water to the drain. Other things we like is it has windows on both sides of the bedroom for cross breeze(hard to find as well), lots of storage in the master despite not having cabinets above the bed. Feels less claustrophobic.

It's not high end, but seems like a good value for the money. Little things like magnetic catches and metal slam latch locks on the storage doors we really like too.

Dan

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
The Tow Max seem to be terrible. (They blow, literally.). I lost two to blow out -- one was the spare with about 50 miles on it. I'd probably drive them, but you might invest in a tpms. Might warn you before you ruin your trailer.

Jim_Sharon
Explorer
Explorer
Hah, tow max tires were the first thing I replaced.
\
I bet they were not six months old, when I replaced them with Maxxis.
The guy at the tire shop seemed very happy to get them. I hope he stayed happy...

I am on my second set of Maxxis now.

Oh yeah, one of the caulk seams that opened up was on the right rear corner. I think the problem was, that the corner molding did not extend far enough forward to cover the gap between the side wall, and the vertical trim molding. it does now...Jim
2006 Wildcat 27RL
2006 2500HD w/Allison/Duramax
KB3TXH

Jim102
Explorer
Explorer
Jim, thanks for the review, that is about the way we feel....the size is right for the two of us and we can't back it in all that great.We do like the construction and the auto leveling really won us over....
Pyoung47.....Thanks for info as well, we do like good reviews,
what about the tires? It comes with Towmax power king
Thanks, Jim
Air Force 1969 - 1973

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
I bought one new in 2007. I have had one serious issue that you should watch for. The vertical joints on the back corners are not sealed and this began to leak. This ruined most of the wall on the rear of the camper. I finally sealed these seams with marine 3M sealant, but it was too late. As your camper ages, be sure that these joints are not leaking.

Other than that -- it's a camper -- they are much the same. We like the layout, and we wouldn't hesitate to buy another, since the weakness noted can be found in any of the brands.

Jim_Sharon
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I do have one. I bought it new in 2006. It has been almost trouble free the whole time.
Sure fuses blow, bugs get in the furness, caulked seams open up, things wear out, but that happens with all units.

I think the Wildcat brand is considered an entry level RV, but mine has been as reliable as any of the other brands, and did it a whole lot cheaper.

I will admit that I had envy in my heart when folks I knew showed up with fancy, new, high dollar, 35-40 foot palaces. Thankfully, the envy faded as the owners got older, and decided to down size.
Now my 30 foot tip-to-tip Wildcat fits right in. I just wish I could back into spaces better.

Well that's about all I can say about 30' foot Wildcats, except that mine has camped in every state except Florida,Hawaii and,Alaska. It's been coast to coast, and back four times. With any luck, It'll do for you...Jim
2006 Wildcat 27RL
2006 2500HD w/Allison/Duramax
KB3TXH