cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GN adapter

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
First off, and for the record, I'm not a fan of these and would never recommend one.

I recently towed a small FW up to Durango CO for a friend and it had a GN adapter installed. This was my first time towing a FW with one installed, though I've towed a couple =real= GN trailers over the years. Total weight was =maybe= 5k. On the roads in NM and CO it gave me a rougher ride than my own FW, with my Companion hitch, which weighs in at 10k+, usually, and puts me solidly on my overloads. I could =feel= a distinct difference in how it towed vs my own FW, and could feel a bit of "springiness" that I don't feel when towing my Komfort on the FW hitch. I can only attribute this to the leverage being placed on the FW frame by the adapter. I will admit that I'd like the chance to tow this trailer sans the GN adapter for comparison.

This is just a comment on an actual tow, and strictly anecdotal. I'm probably going to go back to CO this fall to bring it back, so will have some "back up" to go with this.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member
9 REPLIES 9

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoCalDesertRider wrote:
After you and your DW have an accident on the I5 in CA, the CHP may do a CSI to determine if your CC SRW SB TV was over it's GVWR or GAWR's, while pulling your BH TT, that you ran into someone else's GN LQ, being pulled by an HDT, in the HOV lane.

Say what??

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

csamayfield55x
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think it is a product of the gooseneck. I have the only factory gooseneck 5er available right now. I can tell you the ride is great with the gooseneck. There is no chucking at all and the whole combo feels solid. What I do get is a transfer from the trailer to the truck when the road is very rough. It is not harsh like when the 5ers I have pull chucked in the hitch head. It is more of a knudge.

I am so sold on the goose that if I ever do go to a larger 5er it will have a goosebox on it

Chris
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins Quad cab
B&W 20K turnover ball, Proline custom flatbed
Tekonsha P3
2015 Open Rang Light 311FLR

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have an old Coachman 19' FW that I made a GN adapter for and it pulls better with the GN than with the FW. It weighs 3800# and without the GN adapter and a full tank of fresh water (tank behind axles) it wants to fishtail. With the GN it has enough pin weight it pulls great. It is an 87' model that I restored and use to hunt out of and I like it. It will spin on a dime unlike our 31' newer FW that takes more room and it pulls very smooth. The old timer has a very heavy frame and has never shown any ill effects from the GN. I wonder if I've voided the warranty?

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
After you and your DW have an accident on the I5 in CA, the CHP may do a CSI to determine if your CC SRW SB TV was over it's GVWR or GAWR's, while pulling your BH TT, that you ran into someone else's GN LQ, being pulled by an HDT, in the HOV lane.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
GN = gooseneck. Can refer to the trailer or the hitch. Acronyms these days...
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had to read down to finally figure out what 'GN' stood for...

Must be a Gooseneck Adapter: Gooseneck Hitch...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
This is a 90's vintage Tahoe Lite, about 25-26' OAL, with a single =manual= slide, so no warranty to worry about. Empty weight shows < 3,600-3,700 lbs. The owner has towed it for decades with the GN adapter, so I think the frame is OK, but there was a definite fore/aft "springiness" that I could feel, that I can only attribute to having it on there. As I said before, I'd really like to tow it on the FW hitch for comparison.

The roads had as much to do with the rough ride as anything. 🙂 NM and CO really need to do some work on their secondary roads. 491 N out of Gallup and 550 N out of Farmington were terrible and would have been bad even running empty. Indian Rte 5 between 491 and 371, S of F'ton, wasn't too bad, but had =miles= of road with virtually no lane or shoulder markings. Just scary; thank goodness there wasn't much traffic on it.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoCalDesertRider wrote:
It sounds to me like the difference in ride had more to do with your truck being barely on the overloads and therefore bouncing on and off them with bumps in the road, than with what kind of hitch it had.

I think the trailer frame would really have to be flexing ALOT, to create such a noticeable feeling in the truck, as you describe. If it's flexing that much, the frame is probably broken by now...

And "...broken by now..." is the operative concept. A gooseneck adapter on a fifth wheel voids the frame warranty with most manufacturers due to the torsional forces exerted on the pin box and front of the trailer frame. The only "officially approved" combo that I know of is the GooseBox on a Lippert frame - and that's because Reese and Lippert are in bed with each other.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds to me like the difference in ride had more to do with your truck being barely on the overloads and therefore bouncing on and off them with bumps in the road, than with what kind of hitch it had.

I think the trailer frame would really have to be flexing ALOT, to create such a noticeable feeling in the truck, as you describe. If it's flexing that much, the frame is probably broken by now...
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed