cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good service experience

Dumoldles
Explorer
Explorer
We had a bolt shear while retracting our offside slide in the eastern portion of Idaho. With help from a friend was able to push the side of the slide in. DW found Smith RV in Idaho Falls. We pulled in and explained problem to service advisor, he checked it out and had a tech out to fix the problem. We feel we were fortunate because we were back on the road within 1/2 hour.

Smith RV, Idaho Falls, Good people good service.

Dumoldles
5 REPLIES 5

Dumoldles
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Lyle, your absolutely correct.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Dumoldles wrote:
I believe the bolt that broke is called a cross bolt, I have had it happen before. It happened while the slide was being adjusted at my dealer in Saint George, Utah. Talking with the tech that fixed it this last time, he said the bolt shears when it becomes loose; another item to check while on the road.

I may start carrying extras because the process doesn't seem that difficult. Lining up the hole, dropping in the bolt and tightening.

Dumoldles

Got to be sure the slide is aligned, though. Might want to mark the rack against the frame, just to be sure.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Dumoldles
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the bolt that broke is called a cross bolt, I have had it happen before. It happened while the slide was being adjusted at my dealer in Saint George, Utah. Talking with the tech that fixed it this last time, he said the bolt shears when it becomes loose; another item to check while on the road.

I may start carrying extras because the process doesn't seem that difficult. Lining up the hole, dropping in the bolt and tightening.

Dumoldles

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did you buy spare shear pins??? And, if it's like mine, you need to carry a 3/16" punch to punch out the broken piece and a hammer.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
please post on rvservicereviews.com
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind