cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Goodyear Marathons ?

flyfishing48
Explorer
Explorer
My previous 5th wheel came with Goodyear Marathons. I did have issues with 2 of them after 3 years of use. They were made in China.
Not able to find any ST tires made outside of China I went with LT tires.
I now see post here suggesting there are now Goodyear Marathons made in the USA.
What is the current status of the Marathins, can you get US made tires from Goodyear?
Gloria & Tom::R
Chevy 2500 Crew Cab Duramax
Cougar 24 RDS
B&W Companion Hitch
34 REPLIES 34

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have owned 4 sets of GY US Made tires. E wranglers that came on our Avion, replaced with a set of GY G's then original GY G's on current Mobile Suites replaced them with GY H 17.5's.

Many thousands of miles on each set towing mostly at 62 but all were towed at 75 or more thru Arizona. They all had been curbed with all the weight on one tire and I have used a TrailerAid Plus where all the weight of one side of the RV is placed on one tire for maintenance or repairs.

All that and never even a flat! Buy quality, it will cost you but it's worth it to me!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Also agree with Willcamp. I think in recent years the treatment a tire receives is much more important than where it's manufactured, at least with the name brands.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
Willcamp is right.

Willcamp4
Explorer
Explorer
I am amused by the dispute between those that seem to be defending China made tires and those who are not. Having been RVing for decades, always towing a trailer or fifth-wheel, I have also nearly always had Goodyear Marathons on them. My trailer weighs over 11,000 Lbs, and close to 12K in travel trim. I have only (ever) had one trailer tire failure and that was the result of getting a flat from a nail in a tire. (I had three blowouts when I was using Firestone Steeltex tires on my truck, that were all made in the USA.) I should also point out though, I have never owned a Marathon that was made in China; nor will I.

Whether anyone likes any particular tire or not, I want to point out a couple of things. Regardless of who makes a tire its longevity, and whether it is prone to failure is not just a factor of the tire quality. It is also affected by high heat. Most trailer tires should not be driven over 65 MPH, yet I constantly see people towing at 75- 80 MPH. I also see people towing while their tires are clearly under-inflated, both are factors that will certainly cause premature tire failure. In addition, we have all seen people drag their trailers over obstacles that can damage the tires, clipping curbs with the trailers, and hitting things that make us all wince.

It is my opinion that a good deal of early tire failures don't just come from tires made in any particular country, but from our occasional carelessness. Yes, I know none of us want to think we a fallible, but we are. Sometimes a tire failure is our own fault.
Willcamp4
2012 Ford F-250 Super Duty, Crew Cab, Lariat, 6.7L PSTD, Air Lift rear suspension.
Alpenlite Valhalla Limited Fifth Wheel, two Solar panels, four six-volt batteries, two Honda EU2000i generators

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
Justaguy wrote:
Harbor Freight and Northern Tool are all China, all the time. ๐Ÿ™‚

Some is junk and some is better junk at HF. Grizzly stuff is generally higher quality!

I think a lot of the Grizzly machinery is Taiwan made and is of higher quality.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Justaguy wrote:

Some is junk and some is better junk at HF. Grizzly stuff is generally higher quality!
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Justaguy
Explorer
Explorer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mile High wrote:
CKNSLS wrote:
Mile High wrote:
CKNSLS wrote:
My previous post said this was going to turn in to China bashing. I was right. ๐Ÿ™‚
It did? Where?, and who cares? Between leaded toys and formaldehyde drywall, I have no sympathy.

Have a widescreen TV? Where is that made? How about an iphone or other smart phone? Yea-it's a big double standard on this board!

No double standard here - if I can stay away from Chinese products I do. Unfortunately the US is selling themselves out so it's not always easy to avoid. Doesn't mean I will settle and accept it as you have.

I do everything I can to stay away from the Chinese knock off junk that is out there. On the higher end items like phones not much choice out there.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
My 1st GY thons made it 10,000+/- miles before trading that TT in on a 5er that came with Marathons. The current thons also have 10,000+/- on them and are doing great. Both trailers were well under the max rated load for the tires.
FWIW the 1st set were USA made. 2nd set are China made. The same China that made the laptop that I'm sending this post with. And probably the same China that 95% of those reading this got there PC/laptop from.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
CKNSLS wrote:
Mile High wrote:
CKNSLS wrote:
My previous post said this was going to turn in to China bashing. I was right. ๐Ÿ™‚
It did? Where?, and who cares? Between leaded toys and formaldehyde drywall, I have no sympathy.

Have a widescreen TV? Where is that made? How about an iphone or other smart phone? Yea-it's a big double standard on this board!

Yep, most are to 1080i or 1080P standards in comparison ST tires have not reached the 480 level yet, as little has changed for years with them. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
BB_TX wrote:
SH wrote:
Current rig much heavier...replaced Tow Max with Goodyear R ST 614's. GY CS said the 614's are an ST tire. This is my second set and so far (knock on wood) no issues!

Goodyear web site list the G614 RST tires as LT235/85R16. Maybe he was confused by the RST designation? Or maybe he meant they were a good replacement for an ST tire?

Goodyear tires and click on tire specs.

That one had me scratching my head!

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
mile high wrote:
The LT235/85R16 on the side of my G614s, must be a typo Along with the 75 mph speed range.

There is nothing ST about the G614. It just doesn't seem to have a place to fit between LT and ST, other than its has the performance of a high end motorhome tire sized for a trailer.

LOL...yeah the G614 RST "is a ST" thing is like the rumor that Ford owns Cummins that floated around the internet for years.
This email from Goodyear truck customer servise website;

This email to me from Goodyear;
To: goodyear_cr@goodyear.com
cc:
Subject: Contact Us request from www.goodyear.com

Your G614 RST advertising says its a LT235/85-16 G tire. However what does
the RST stand for ??

Sent by: Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company Consumer Relations
Innovation Way Akron, OH

Thank you for contacting our web site. RST for "Regional Service Trailer" is the correct term for the LT235/85-16 G614 RST tire.

Jennifer.... consumer relations group
Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company Consumer Relations
Innovation Way Akron, OH

So the Goodyear G614 RST is a LT tire made for the the "Regional Service Trailer" world.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

SH
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
SH wrote:
replaced Tow Max with Goodyear R ST 614's. GY CS said the 614's are an ST tire.

The LT235/85R16 on the side of my G614s, must be a typo ๐Ÿ™‚ Along with the 75 mph speed range.

There is nothing ST about the G614. It just doesn't seem to have a place to fit between LT and ST, other than its has the performance of a high end motorhome tire sized for a trailer.

Not a tire expert just know what is printed on my new tires (RST 614) and the reply I got from GY categorizing it as an ST. It also has the LT 235/85/16 on it. Doesn't matter one way or the other to me...I like the tire and will continue to use them until I find something better in a 16 G rated.
2001 Alpenlite 35RK
2007.5 Chev LMM Duramax/Allison
BD Variable Vane Turbo Brake
TST 507
2010 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic Red Hot Sunglo ๐Ÿ™‚