cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grand Design to Forest River XLR......need advice....

nguyenbio
Explorer
Explorer
Hello from So. Cal!
I am wanting to trade in my 2014 Grand Design Refelctions for a new 375xlr and have a few questions if you don't mind. We have been very happy with the Grand Design unit but the DW loves the Xlrs.

1. We need every inch of the stated garage length of 12'6". Is this number accurate?

2. How would owners of the Xlrs rate the quality, customer support, satisfaction?

3. The options on the stability of the tow and low pin weight? I have a 2015 F350 cc SRW long bed.

4. Is the full body paint worth it?

5. Has anyone bought from Parris Rv in Murphy, Utah? Opinions?

6. Any opinions on anything I left out?

We are hoping to order one real soon!

Joe
Joe
2014 Ford F250 6.7L Crewcab Beast
2014 Grand Design Reflections 303RLS
46 REPLIES 46

taken
Explorer
Explorer
I asked Stan to measure his. He should get back to you in a day...
Regards, Rodney
TV - 2017 F350 SRW CC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

nguyenbio
Explorer
Explorer
taken wrote:
Joe, as I said on the FR forum when you asked about this (my handle there is Karl4Cat), mine tows like an arrow. Completely comfortable experience. Get the Tuson sway control. It's $450 well spent...

Great! I keep forgetting you are the same person. If not an inconvenience, I would appreciate it if you could get me the exact measurements on the 375xlr garage with the door closed.

Joe
Joe

taken
Explorer
Explorer
Joe, as I said on the FR forum when you asked about this (my handle there is Karl4Cat), mine tows like an arrow. Completely comfortable experience. Get the Tuson sway control. It's $450 well spent...
Regards, Rodney
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

nguyenbio
Explorer
Explorer
taken wrote:
Exactly right Joe. My old man always said the same. You only go this way once. This isn't practice. Do what makes you happy (within reason) and enjoy. I love our full body paint. As I said on the FR forums, I went with Ford Ingot silver to match my truck with Ford's Magnetic metallic as the 2nd. I dropped the third color. Here's mine.

I am towing with a 2015 F350 Cc long bed srw FX4. Can you tell me how your truck handles the beast? I'm pretty confident it will tow it and stop it. We both would be under on all numbers except GCWR. I also have air lift air bags.

Joe
Joe

taken
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't mention anyting about your truck being painted to match your RV. I mentioned it being painted at all. Seems silly with your logic. You won't go outside and look at it right? It's not art right? Keep it simple and just clear it. Why bother to have a color at all?

As to my painted RV, you clearly haven't looked at my pics. It is no different than a fiberglass RV. No more or less showy. Same swirl and swoosh pattern that I would skip if I could. Hell, I asked if they'd just paint it like a two tone truck. Silver on the top and grey on the bottom. No go. But nevertheless, paint is a nicer finish that plain grey fiberglass with cheap stickers stuck all over it. It's not about being showy. It's about having a nicer finish.
Regards, Rodney
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
taken wrote:
Better is better. If it was equivalent, it would be free or standard equipment. And who said anything about it being for others? I could care less what ANYONE else thinks about anything I own. What I do is for ME. For what I like and what looks good to me. If you like being ordinary and plain, good for you. Who cares what I think of your rig. I could also care less what you think about mine. Maybe you should get your next truck or home without paint too. Because it's so unimportant... Bare sheetrock is fine. Clearcoat over your truck with no finish is fine. Who needs all that extra showy stuff... LOL.

I hear you but the $5k extra for the bling just would not be worth it to me. I won't get bare drywall, I'll get a standard white paint job with a clear coat in most cases. Nevertheless I don't need the full billboard effect. I have nothing against those who like the extra bling.But I simply would not want the extra splash. I prefer a more stealth,incognito look.
Now I agree a nice gel coat is nicer just not for $5K. I need more substance for my $$$ just exterior style won't do.
The RV is not a painting. I did not buy it to look at it and admire.
Hopefully I'll be outside at the campfire or inside enjoying a few luxuries. But I'm sure I won't be outside staring at the paint job.
You did mention getting my truck painted. Which is really the same idea. There are some that enjoy custom paint jobs on their trucks. Some have there trucks and RV's painted in a matching scheme.
Once again I'll take a fully optioned truck with all the bells and whistles all day long, but the standard factory paint job will do.
I see no value or reason to get a custom or full body paint job on either truck or RV.
If money grew on trees I'd love to have a nice 2016 Denali 3500 dually. But the vision of that new truck is in a standard factory color! LOL
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

taken
Explorer
Explorer
Exactly right Joe. My old man always said the same. You only go this way once. This isn't practice. Do what makes you happy (within reason) and enjoy. I love our full body paint. As I said on the FR forums, I went with Ford Ingot silver to match my truck with Ford's Magnetic metallic as the 2nd. I dropped the third color. Here's mine.

Regards, Rodney
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

nguyenbio
Explorer
Explorer
taken wrote:
Better is better. If it was equivalent, it would be free or standard equipment. And who said anything about it being for others? I could care less what ANYONE else thinks about anything I own. What I do is for ME. For what I like and what looks good to me. If you like being ordinary and plain, good for you. Who cares what I think of your rig. I could also care less what you think about mine. Maybe you should get your next truck or home without paint too. Because it's so unimportant... Bare sheetrock is fine. Clearcoat over your truck with no finish is fine. Who needs all that extra showy stuff... LOL.

Yes! Full body paint is is definitely on the menu. The DW had said that this XLR will be around for a while so she has to get everything possible to ensure years of enjoyment down the line. As for the cost, I have always been a believer that, it's my money. I think the uniqueness and the maintenance compared to gel coat is definitely worth it!

The orange full body paint is one slick design. You only live once right?
Joe

taken
Explorer
Explorer
Regards, Rodney
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
taken wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
nguyenbio wrote:

IMHO the only purpose of full body paint is to massage your ego.
bumpy

Sour grapes. If you could afford it, you'd have it. If I could afford a Prevost, I'd own one. I can't but don't begrudge those who can. It's no different than a popup stroking your ego over a tent. A TT stroking your ego over a popup. A 5ver stroking your ego over a TT. A DP over a 5ver. And so on. Better isn't stroking your ego. It's just better.

Full body paint is an awesome option. It keeps cleaning and exterior maintenance to a minimum. Black streaks are a non issue. And best of all, it separates your rig from the sea of grey and white.

As to the rest of the questions, I've answered your mirror post on the FR forums...

I don't see full body paint in the same way I see a Provost.
I'm more about substance than style. I might buy the Provost if I could afford it.:B But I imagine I would not spring for the full paint option(assuming full paint was optional). Now if the Provost only came with FBP I have no choice but to pay for it. but if I could opt out I would. Full body paint is a 5-8k option for the most part that is purely aesthetic and would not enhance my camping experience other than to look at it.
Personally I would not get $5K worth of enjoyment out of looking at it and I certainly would not spend the money just for others to look at it.
I would be content with all the other features, even if I just faded into the crowd of grey and white rigs.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

taken
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
nguyenbio wrote:

IMHO the only purpose of full body paint is to massage your ego.
bumpy

Sour grapes. If you could afford it, you'd have it. If I could afford a Prevost, I'd own one. I can't but don't begrudge those who can. It's no different than a popup stroking your ego over a tent. A TT stroking your ego over a popup. A 5ver stroking your ego over a TT. A DP over a 5ver. And so on. Better isn't stroking your ego. It's just better.

Full body paint is an awesome option. It keeps cleaning and exterior maintenance to a minimum. Black streaks are a non issue. And best of all, it separates your rig from the sea of grey and white.

As to the rest of the questions, I've answered your mirror post on the FR forums...
Regards, Rodney
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

nguyenbio
Explorer
Explorer
ramgunner wrote:
nguyenbio wrote:
Hello from So. Cal!
I am wanting to trade in my 2014 Grand Design Refelctions for a new 375xlr and have a few questions if you don't mind. We have been very happy with the Grand Design unit but the DW loves the Xlrs.

Joe

Check out the Grand design Momentum - there are several floor plans.

Parris RV is on State Street in Murray, UT. I drive by there frequently and visited the dealership several times while comparing Tesla and Momentum. The folks I spoke with were pretty nice, but not overly helpful when I asked for certain details. General RV put me in touch with some folks at the Grand design factory - no such offer or assistance from Parris with Evergreen/Tesla. That's the extent of my experience with them.

I do love my Grand Design and their customer service, but the DW likes the floorplans of the XLRs better. There are specificities from each we like but the 375xlr has the most combinations of everything we are looking for. The Momentum 388m comes closest but the wife wants the bedroom bed in the slide and the walk in closet, not currently like our Refelctions. Also the amount of storage in the XLR is more practical for her. For me, the lighter pin weight leans met words the XLR.

Joe
Joe

ramgunner
Explorer
Explorer
nguyenbio wrote:
Hello from So. Cal!

Joe

Check out the Grand design Momentum - there are several floor plans.

Parris RV is on State Street in Murray, UT. I drive by there frequently and visited the dealership several times while comparing Tesla and Momentum. The folks I spoke with were pretty nice, but not overly helpful when I asked for certain details. General RV put me in touch with some folks at the Grand design factory - no such offer or assistance from Parris with Evergreen/Tesla. That's the extent of my experience with them.
Editor - http://www.RamGunner.com / http://www.MomentumGunner.com
2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
Grand Design Momentum 385TH (Polaris RZR800/VHF/UHF/HF)

nguyenbio
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:
nguyenbio wrote:
1. We need every inch of the stated garage length of 12'6". Is this number accurate?

Find one and measure, if you must have that amount write it into the contract if you order one, don't trust and don't assume.

I would love to see one, but there isn't one in So Cal. We went to the Pomona Rv show, and the XLR booth didn't have all the models available for viewing.
I'm hoping someone on here will come along who has one and can provide me with a measurement.

Joe
Joe

Y-Guy
nguyenbio wrote:

Find one and measure, if you must have that amount write it into the contract if you order one, don't trust and don't assume.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon