cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

gray water tank

v2k1966
Explorer
Explorer
Our gray water tank seems to be clogged up. The galley part had water coming up through the kitchen sink drain. We just figured the tank was full so when we drained the tanks the water was still in the kitchen sinks.

The camper is a Couger 318 sab and only has the one grey water tank lever to pull. The grey water tank indicator says it is 2/3 full yet and we had water in the kitchen sink. We put in liquid plumber and that didn't work. We took the traps off below the sink and got a lot of water out that way.

It seems the plumbing somewhere below the sink is plugged. Can we run a plumbers snake through the pipes?

Has anyone else had any problems like this.
13 REPLIES 13

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
All the handles essentially look the same. Compare to the ones you still have. In the future, tighten those rods each time you dump.
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

bobandvicki
Explorer
Explorer
open up that slit and you can see where the handle screws in - also have a sab 318 and have lost that handle a few times - lowes has a threaded rod that fits perfectly and is much less expensive than a rv dealer - if I knew where you were I'd give you one of the 3 spare rods I carry - takes 2 rods and lowes has nuts to connect them - call me 321 446 3207 if you have a question - Bob
2015 3500 RAM Diesel Longbed 4x4 Dually

2015 39ft Heartland Big Country 3650 5th Wheel

BlackSilver
Explorer
Explorer
Your dealer prolly has 25 in stock. A common problem.

The extension joins the valve stub rod with a threaded sleeve (which might still be in place if you look). Easy repair.
Hans, Kร˜HB & Colleen, Kร˜CKB
Master Chief Radioman, US Navy
Heartland Big Country camping trailer
3500HD Silverado Big Dooley LTZ Go-power by Max & Allie

v2k1966
Explorer
Explorer
Our handle and rod are both missing. I am hoping some of your guys hints will help me fix it.

Does anyone have any pictures of what the grey water valve and handle look like. I am hoping we just have to screw another metal rod into the valve piece under the camper.

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 318SAB. You have 3 waste tanks in total. The handle to the bath grey is near your bedroom slide. To the right is the black tank. Again to the right, nearer to the tires, should be your galley grey water valve. My valves were mislabeled from the factory. Yes, the handles screw in and it sounds like you may have lost a handle, overlooked a handle, or are being mislead by the labeling.
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

BlackSilver
Explorer
Explorer
I just checked your specs..... you have two 38-gal grey water holding tanks, for a total of 76 gallons. Link to specs HERE

BlackSilver
Explorer
Explorer
We had a Cougar, and the valve handles screwed into place. Basically there was a short 1/4" rod stub on the valve, then an extension that screwed onto the stub with a T-handle on the other end. Is this a new trailer to you? The extended handle may have come detached. Our Cougar, a 2001 27-footer had two grey tanks, one for the the rear galley, and another forward for the shower.

v2k1966
Explorer
Explorer
We looked and it says grey water tank on the side. We looked under the rv there and there appears to be a slit in the underbelly where at one time there was a handle.
If I open that up is it easy to fix with a new handle.

Thanks for the replies

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Oaklevel wrote:
If you have 2 grey tanks... "Galley & Grey you probably have another valve not with the other two........ Just a thought..........

X2
My Copper Canyon has both and the valve for the galley is way to the back.i
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
If you have 2 grey tanks... "Galley & Grey you probably have another valve not with the other two........ Just a thought..........

Brewurown
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Montana Mountaineer which is very similar to the Cougar.
If you have a galley tank then the drain valve is not with the black and gray tank valves. My galley valve is under the camper near the sewer hose connection.
Al
2011 Berkshire 360FWS
2010 Montana Mountaineer 335 RET
Hickory Foothills Good Sam Chapter member

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
When you opened the grey water drain valve did water flow or just trickle out?

Are you sure you do not have another grey drain valve.....back behind wheels/under slide??

If water flowed then sink drain line could be plugged up.
If water only trickled out then tank outlet drain hole could be plugged. Sometimes the cut-out disc (from installing drain/vent lines) falls into tank and is not removed......floats around until it finally gets sucked down to outlet drain opening and blocks the drain.

Get a clear adapter that goes on end of drain line and then sewer drain hose connects to adapter.
With the clear adapter you can see how well everything is flowing when draining.

Tanks & drain lines are just like plumbing in S&B house......ABS. So you can snake the drain lines, use drain cleaners etc.
BUT if you use any drain cleaners drain & flush lines/tank immediately after use. Drain cleaners can be harmful to the drain valve seals.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
yes, not me.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman