cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grease or Disks for 5th Wheel Hitch Plates?

ccmret
Explorer
Explorer
What is the preferred method to grease your plate on the hitches? Do you prefer the grease disks or traditional grease? I am using a B&W Companion Hitch
31 REPLIES 31

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
Alley Fox wrote:
Never used anything but the Teflon disc in about 22,000 miles of towing. Do use grease on the hitch jaws and or kingpin.

x2
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

Tango__AE7UI
Explorer
Explorer
I also use the teflon disk on our B&W.
Lot less messy than a greasy plate.
I do us a grease on the hitch jaws and king pin.
2007 Tango 2660RKS Fifth Wheel, 2006 Chevy D/A 3500 with service body,

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
ccmret wrote:
Here is what I was referring to when I am talking about grease disks.
No grease there.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

mark5w
Explorer
Explorer
Had a teflon disk on my former 5th wheel for 7 years. Averaged about 2000 miles a year. It's a lot cleaner than grease in case you bump it.
'13 2018 JAYCO EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS- '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
JohnBoyToo wrote:
It depends....

Use whatever the mfg recommends !

just to make sure everyone knows - if a superglide you use wd-40 for my model and year... for others you use what they call for -

so bottom line - use what the mfg says to ! ๐Ÿ™‚
With a Superglide, the pin box does not rotate on the hitch. WD40 is to lube the sliding part of the hitch and the head. A little on the plate will not hurt during hitching and unhitching.
I use "Slip-Plate" graphite spray on my older Superglide. No grease required.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

Alley_Fox
Explorer
Explorer
Never used anything but the Teflon disc in about 22,000 miles of towing. Do use grease on the hitch jaws and or kingpin.
2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T
04.5 GMC Duramax SLT CCLB turbo brake Isspros
B&W Companion, Tekonsha, EFI Live by Rob Coddens, Ride Rite air
5th Airborne

JohnBoyToo
Explorer
Explorer
It depends....

Use whatever the mfg recommends !

just to make sure everyone knows - if a superglide you use wd-40 for my model and year... for others you use what they call for -

so bottom line - use what the mfg says to ! ๐Ÿ™‚

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Newbie here. They threw a disk on my 5'er when I got it. Can't see any reason to deal with greasing the plate. Just another mess to deal with. How long do they last? We tow about 4000+ miles a year.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
ccmret wrote:
Good to know.....updating my terminology.....
Thanks.

The Teflon disc is a good alternative to grease on the hitch "saddle". As an FYI, I previously owned a 5th wheel and used the Companion. I e-mailed B&W regarding grease vs. Teflon disc. The reply I received stated either was acceptable, but if I used a Teflon disc it should not be more than an 8" diameter. That is not a common size, but I did locate them on JC Whitney's website (5 years ago). They last a long time. B&W also recommended application of grease on the trailer kingpin, which I did every trip.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
For 19 years on two different hitches I have used a teflon grease (dry lube). It works well and holds up to weather and use. I only have to "regrease" about every 5 trips or once a year. It doesn't hold the dirt like petroleum based grease will. I picked it up at an independant RV supply store, it came in a pint container and I still have nearly half left after all these years. The label is gone so I don't have a brand name.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Disc for me, my fiver and my B&W Companion.

If you want one directly from B&W (not sure why you would), they sell nylon plates.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

ccmret
Explorer
Explorer
Good to know.....updating my terminology.....
Thanks.

RedAce
Explorer
Explorer
I believe that is a teflon disk, not a grease disk.

ccmret
Explorer
Explorer
Here is what I was referring to when I am talking about grease disks.
Grease Disks

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
Teflon disc.
Don't fiddle with grease ๐Ÿ˜ž