cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hand rail question

mike54
Explorer
Explorer
I need to put a hand rail going up to the bedroom. The walls are thin paneling the shower is on the other side do you think it would be ok the put a suction cup grab bar on the shower glass?

Mike
2005 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins diesel
2007 Montana 3500rl
8 REPLIES 8

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a thought, I'm sure you can find a friend or family member who's a bit of a wood-worker, the walls are 2x2" framed with 1/4' plywood or Masonite panelling but if you were to make a plate say 6" by the length of the handrail you need out of a matching hardwood nicely sanded with a small ogee routered around it stained and lacquered to match your interior and using PPL or a similar construction adhesive literally glue it to the wall using a few screws where the handrail bracket will cover the heads to hold it in place until the glue sets, the loading put on the handrail will be spread out over the entire wood plate instead the six to 9 wood screws of the handrail bracket and provided nobody attempts to slide down it or ties a 130LBS Rottweiler to it that set-up should offer more than enough support! "Da Bears"

Red Green:
Nothing bugs a handyman more than a
stripper that works too slow.
07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blรผcher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

mike54
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the ideas I think I'm going to put the grab bar bolts through the wall.
Mike
2005 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins diesel
2007 Montana 3500rl

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
I have put grab bars by the steps (and if possible across from the toilet) on three different fivers for my now 95 year old MIL. I have always found where I could go all the way through the wall(s) and put a fender washer and acorn nut on the other end.

The attaching bolt must be cut to just the right length for the acorn nut to take up firmly without crushing the hollow wall. Put a drop of Lock-Tite on the threads.

You can get washers and nuts in Chrome or paint them to match the wall covering with acrylic craft paints from Michael's on somesuch.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Lov2hittheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Left side of the staircase install handle. You can put a screw all the way through with a fender washer and locking nut.

www.rvmall.com/index.php/grab-handle-chrome-10html# at the rvmall for $9.94

Blessings,

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
H**l no on the suction cup . I needed to put one in for my 96 year old father-in-law and used a Moen grab handle simalar to what was pictured but I used toggle bolts.Now the wall would have to come loose. I pulled with all my might and it would not budge. Half the time I can't even keep my GPS on the windshield lwt alone trust a grab handle.

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
I put a rail on the wall, which is between the steps and the toilet. Put chrome acorn nuts on the inside on the toilet wall. I might pull out if someone put their full weight on it, but is is primarily just for steadying yourself instead of putting your hand on the wall.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I would not put it on the glass. If you slip and grab the bar, you may pull the shower door down on top of you.
I don't think the glass doors are designed to be used as hand rails.
But, I've been wrong before.

It just doesn't seem like a wise move to me.

Greydennyhawk
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think that I would trust that shower glass for that type of support going up stairs.
Consider either going into the floor with a rail or reinforcing the wall area
Denny, Rosie and Josie the Beagle
2016 Allegro 36 LA
2016 Mazda 3