cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having a hard time picking 5th wheel hitch setup

Bute56
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys. Ive researched for days and cant seem to settle on what to get. I have a 2015 F250 CCSB. Since I have the short box, it seems like a sliding hitch or the reese sidewinder is the way to go. If I go the slider route, I need to be able to take it out and have a clean bed. I like the looks of the b&w companion, but I will also have to install the turnover ball. The pullrite autoslider with the super rail also looks really nice but is really expensive. Plus, I don't get the added utility of the gooseneck ball like I do with the b&w setup. The sidewinder option I'm just not sure of. Im looking for the best option with ease of coupling-uncoupling, lowering the chances of damage to the cab of my truck , ability to manuever into the tightest of spots and still be able get uncoupled. Since it is so expensive for most of the quality options, I'm really trying to do my homework and get as much advice as I can from actual users and those with more wisdom than me. Ive never owned a 5th! Thanks in advance.
24 REPLIES 24

Bute56
Explorer
Explorer
Just an update. Iinstalled a b&w turnover ball and bought the andersen ultimate 5th connection (steel). We finally found the right camper yesterday. It's a 2014 jayco eagle 26.5rls. I pulled home yesterday and the hitch worked great. It was really easy to install and really easy to use. Thanks again for all the advice!

Bute56
Explorer
Explorer
Toolguy5 wrote:
I have had both the Pullrite Superglide and I know have the B&W companion. For ease of hooking up and unhooking the B&W is easier. For the Pullrite you have to be almost perfectly straight.

The B&W companion slider gives you a nice clean bed when hitch is out.

I have a short box as well. I thought about not going with the slider when I went to the B&W but there may come a time when I need it. Especially if I decide to upgrade the 5th wheel. Yes the sliders a tad bit more money but the first time you damage your cab because you or your spotter was not watching it is well worth it.

Just my 2 cents.

That's good info. Thank you.

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had both the Pullrite Superglide and I know have the B&W companion. For ease of hooking up and unhooking the B&W is easier. For the Pullrite you have to be almost perfectly straight.

The B&W companion slider gives you a nice clean bed when hitch is out.

I have a short box as well. I thought about not going with the slider when I went to the B&W but there may come a time when I need it. Especially if I decide to upgrade the 5th wheel. Yes the sliders a tad bit more money but the first time you damage your cab because you or your spotter was not watching it is well worth it.

Just my 2 cents.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
1. Pick a hitch that exceeds the GVWR of your trailer.

2. Pick a hitch that fits your pocketbook.

I don't know of any bad hitches out there, just a lot of different opinions as to which is the best. Think about the clean bed vs rails. My hitch is never removed. Figure out your situation and let your pocketbook guide you.

Slider vs Non Slider. I'm on my 3rd 5th wheel(all with the sculptured front) with a SB Ford (6.5). I started with a slider because "that's what everyone said I needed". Never used it. Never needed it. It could happen though. I'm now with a Non Slider. Just have to watch the clearances when backing.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

bop11
Explorer
Explorer
I wish that someone that has a Sidwinder or Sidewinder/5thAirborn would chine in and let us know the pro's and con's of it.
Bill

:B:C
2010 Cardinal 3150 5th Wheel
Chevy Duramax/Allison

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
laknox wrote:
corvettekent wrote:
IdaD wrote:
I think they're more solid than any of the turnover ball setups, which can have bed deflection issues.

B&W has 3/4" thick cross bars under the bed so there is no deflection issues.

IdaD wrote:
There are lots of great options these days. B&W has a great reputation so I don't think you can go wrong with them if you go that way. Or Andersen for that matter. Lots seem to like Pullright too - never used one myself but the biggest knock I've heard on them is you need to be real level to hitch it up.

The companion hitch has a fully articulating head allows front to back and side to side pivoting.

Kent, there =have= been bed deflection issues. Partially caused by the beds being much, much thinner than before and not being able to support the tortional loads produced by the Companion base. The B&W engineer I spoke to talked about "membrane strength", which I take to mean the ability of the bed, as a membrane, to support a load. Combine the thin beds with frame changes, and how they support the bed, and these were the 2 main causes of the deflections seen. There =are= pics posted here if you search for them. Notwithstanding this, I'm still a B&W "fanboy" and they will be my go-to if/when I ever need another hitch.

Lyle

I had deflection with my 18K Companion. It was engineered when the bed materials was MUCH thicker and stronger. There was no bed deflection up to 18K with that hitch when used with trucks that it was designed to be used in. In my 2011 RAM I installed the TurnoverBall and used the 18K Companion that I had used in my 98 RAM. The hitch base developed a bend and my bed had a deflection towing 18K. B&W sent a new base along with filler strips to transfer the fore and aft loads directly to the bed cross members instead of the top of the bed corrugations. Around that time B&W re engineered a new base to work with the weaker beds in todays trucks. The result is a Companion that is rated 20K and will not deflect the bed.

Andersen has the same issue with using ONLY the bed for fore and aft support on the Ultimate.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
corvettekent wrote:
IdaD wrote:
I think they're more solid than any of the turnover ball setups, which can have bed deflection issues.

IdaD wrote:
There are lots of great options these days. B&W has a great reputation so I don't think you can go wrong with them if you go that way. Or Andersen for that matter. Lots seem to like Pullright too - never used one myself but the biggest knock I've heard on them is you need to be real level to hitch it up.

The companion hitch has a fully articulating head allows front to back and side to side pivoting.

Kent, there =have= been bed deflection issues. Partially caused by the beds being much, much thinner than before and not being able to support the tortional loads produced by the Companion base. The B&W engineer I spoke to talked about "membrane strength", which I take to mean the ability of the bed, as a membrane, to support a load. Combine the thin beds with frame changes, and how they support the bed, and these were the 2 main causes of the deflections seen. There =are= pics posted here if you search for them. Notwithstanding this, I'm still a B&W "fanboy" and they will be my go-to if/when I ever need another hitch.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:

IdaD wrote:

2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

Bute56
Explorer
Explorer
corvettekent wrote:
Bute56 wrote:
corvettekent wrote:
You did not mention the brand of 5th wheel that you have, a lot of the newer 5th wheels have the corners of the trailer cut so they don't hit the cab of the truck. If this is the way your trailer is go with the B & W.

Are you talking about the one that slides or the plain one?

I don't think you need a sliding hitch but you do need to know the limits with the trailer that you buy. I have the non sliding B&W companion hitch but I also have an 8 foot box.

Agreed. This is why I'm asking for advice BEFORE I buy anything! I do appreciate all the help. I'm leaning towards the Andersen.

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
Bute56 wrote:
corvettekent wrote:
You did not mention the brand of 5th wheel that you have, a lot of the newer 5th wheels have the corners of the trailer cut so they don't hit the cab of the truck. If this is the way your trailer is go with the B & W.

Are you talking about the one that slides or the plain one?

I don't think you need a sliding hitch but you do need to know the limits with the trailer that you buy. I have the non sliding B&W companion hitch but I also have an 8 foot box.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
I have, and use, the TO Ball and Companion, both. Love the clean bed. I have no issues with my setup; very square front FW and short bed D'max, as in my sig. I can not hit when turning right or left at full lock, when going forward. ALL will hit when back up; a slider gives you more room before you WILL hit. YMMV...

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
I thought we needed more than 15% hitch weight on the 5er.
I am at 22%
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife 🙂

4bearhug
Explorer
Explorer
I went with the B & W turnover ball and companion hitch with my 3500 GM SB. I had a SB before with a Reese slider hitch and never used the slider feature once. Our 5th wheel is a 2010 so you really don't have to have really late model 5er to have sculpted corners which give you sufficient clearance for most manuevers. I just decided to skip the slider hitch and pay more attention to the 5er when backing.

Bute56
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
Bute56 wrote:
Yes I have lots of experience pulling bumper pull trailers.

That being the case, you should be able to manage without a slider, and a Ford SB truck. I have towed two different FWs with SB Fords since 1999, using a NON-sliding hitch. I don't know how short I can back with current rig, but it's never even been an issue.

Many hitches are adjustable ahead/back, such as the B&W, to allow more clearance.

Jerry

If that's the case then the Anderson hitch with the b&w turnover ball looks like a really nice setup! Right at about $1000 too if I do the install myself.