cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help shopping for new fiver

guinness1
Explorer
Explorer
I am in need of some assistance. I am shopping for a new fiver. Ideally I would like to keep the overall length somewhere between 25-34 feet. I do not want bunks. Weight is not an issue, would prefer high quality versus lightweight. The wife and I went to an RV show this past weekend and saw a lot of trailers, they were either lightweight versions or big 40+’ . I am replacing a 38’ Coachmen Chaparral front bunkhouse, it has has served us well, but now that the kids are grown, looking to downsize a bit. Thx
2012 Coachmen Chaparral 330FBH
(2021 GD Reflection 337RLS coming soon)

(2021 Sierra 3500HD DMax SRW LB - on order)
25 REPLIES 25

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would expect New Horizons would build you any length and floor plan you want.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Addy15
Explorer
Explorer
SkullAndSquirrel wrote:
We just did a bunch of shopping for a couples coach. That Grand Design Reflection 150 Series 295RL floor plan is pretty slick, we looked at it in person, the interior wood was a tad dark for us so we looked at The Winnebago 27RLTS and 27REOK. I can't speak to the quality of them, but the floor plans were roomy for such a short coach. I have seen a few people say the Arctic Fox seems well built, but I personally didn't find a flooplan that met our needs.

Basically, we found if you want a superslide, or opposing slides under 30 feet there are not going to be many choices.

We looked at both Grand Design and Winnebago. Winnebago met our weight/length specifications a bit better than the Grand Design, so we ended up with the Winnebago 27RLTS. Have had it since May and are quite happy with it so far.

Gordon_R
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I are very happy with our 2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L.
GORDON & LORI
U.S. Coast Guard Chief (Retired)

2016 Ford Crew Cab Lariat F-350) w/6.7 Diesel
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Semper Paratus

SkullAndSquirre
Explorer
Explorer
We just did a bunch of shopping for a couples coach. That Grand Design Reflection 150 Series 295RL floor plan is pretty slick, we looked at it in person, the interior wood was a tad dark for us so we looked at The Winnebago 27RLTS and 27REOK. I can't speak to the quality of them, but the floor plans were roomy for such a short coach. I have seen a few people say the Arctic Fox seems well built, but I personally didn't find a flooplan that met our needs.

Basically, we found if you want a superslide, or opposing slides under 30 feet there are not going to be many choices.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
We are loving our Grand Design 303RLS 33 ft long. Very nice fit and finish. I would be comfortable describing it as " a high quality small to mid sized 5er for 2." Well insulated. Certified by the factory for full time living. Oh - and full size queen bed - not the short queen. The next size up is the 337RLS which is 36 feet long, same rear living area, but bigger bath/bedroom with a East/West bed, walk in closet, and washer/dryer hookups.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
So you are looking for a rolling condo for 2. Not so easy to find since so many try to be all things for all people. You would think that finding a high quality small to mid sized 5er for 2 would be easy. Not so. Builders seem to think that couples need a whopping 38-40 foot 5er. Too many places those monsters can't go. MS had a 32tk3 which was a great one for 2. Carriage had a 33ck3. We settled with an Alpenlite 34RLR. All 3 fit the bill for a mid sized 5er rolling condo for 2 able to get into state parks.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look at both OutdoorRV and Northwood Mfg. Both build on an in house frame. No Lippert garbage. Both familymowned that build for the long term. Recently they have had some issues, but I think you will still find decent value for your dollar.

prd2hnt
Explorer
Explorer
Since you have experience with Chaparral, we really like our 30rls. It is a "light" version. I don't know if they have a similar layout in a non-light version.
Brian & Kathy
Max - 9 year old Springer
'18 Chaparral 30rls
'07 GMC Sierra Duramax 4x4 Extended cab, long box
B&W Companion Turnover Ball
'15 Bennington 21SLX

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
While I hear good things about Grand Design and DRV (don't know how short they go), I have some experience with KZ, and I think that I could recommend the Durango and Durango Gold lines. The Durango used to be the Durango 2500 line and is a bit lighter than the Gold, but starts at 34' length. The Gold models start at 35'. For a bit shorter rigs, the Arctic Fox FWs also have a good rep. They start at just over 29' and run up to about 35' for the largest model.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Doogie_in_Elk_G
Explorer
Explorer
I'm loving my Grand Design Reflection 29RS. Not cheap but doesn't break the bank. I really like the layout and size is perfect for my wife and I, with 2 dogs.
2011 Ford F450 4x4 Lariat
2018 Grand Design Reflection 29RS