cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with hitch decision

bertschb
Explorer
Explorer
I just ordered a new Grand Design Reflection 318RST 5th wheel (GVWR 13,995) and plan to buy a 2016 GMC 3500 Duramax truck next. The truck has a 6.5' bed.

I've spent a week reading up on hitches on multiple forums and I've narrowed my choice of hitches to the B&W Companion and Trailer Saver BD3 Air-Ride.

My needs:
I want the hitch to be completely removed from the bed when not in use (nothing at all showing).
It has to be something I can lift out myself without a hoist.
It needs to provide a smooth ride that protects the truck and 5th wheel.

Is there a factory under bed hitch mount option I should order with my truck that will make installing the hitch easier or can I get everything I need from the hitch manufacturers? I guess I'll throw in one more question while I'm at it...Can I get the best of both worlds by replacing the pin box on the 5th wheel with a Trail-Air and then getting the B&W Companion which appears to be lighter for removing from the bed?

Kind of overwhelmed with all the options available. Money is no object which helps. Any help would be appreciated!
50 REPLIES 50

bertschb
Explorer
Explorer
tabraha wrote:
There isn't a thing needed from the factory, the B&W kit has everything necessary. Do have the installer put a plug in the bed though so your power cord isn't banging around on the tailgate or drag/snag hazard.

OK, that's good to know I don't need the under bed prep kit from GMC. I think the truck will come with a "trailering wiring provision" option. The description is "Includes additional 7-way wiring harness routed to the front of the pickup box". Sounds like that will work.

tabraha
Explorer
Explorer
I just moved from a '13 GMC to a '15 and had a B&W put in this time around. Had one in a previous Super Duty but when I picked up the '13 GMC went with a Reese because that is what was available at the time. I could not stand the bed rails and removal of the hitch was a pain as well. I quickly regretted not going back with the B&W.

This time around I went back with B&W as a hitch and have the Mor/Ryde pin box on my 5'er from the factory. It's a smooth combination. Zero chucking or squeaking and everything is always in place inside the unit upon arrival.

The clean bed when not in use is a plus and having the ability to hitch to a gooseneck if necessary is just added flexibility.

There isn't a thing needed from the factory, the B&W kit has everything necessary. Do have the installer put a plug in the bed though so your power cord isn't banging around on the tailgate or drag/snag hazard. The top part is universal so if you change vehicles down the road you only need the bed rail kit.

The B&W comes out in 2 pieces but neither is very light. Doable for 1 person as I do it all the time solo but it is so much easier for 2 people. I'd time it to have a buddy and a beer handy just to have a reason to. 🙂
2016 Montana 3160RL 37' 11.7k dry
2015 GMC 2500 Denali HD, Duramax 6.6 w/ Allison 6sp auto
2009 Bristol Bay by SunnyBrook 3420BH 39'L, 11.1k dry (sold)

bertschb
Explorer
Explorer
3 dog nights wrote:
I have a Trailer Saver, I liked the idea of moving the hitch should I upgrade my current truck. Felt like if I put the air bags in the pin box I would have to leave it.

Excellent point. Thanks

Do you think I should order the factory GMC under bed hitch prep (whatever that is) or just order whatever is available from Trailer Saver for their hitch system?

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
I think they call the four mounting holes the puck system. I think you can order this from the factory. They didn't have this when I ordered my truck.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You could go with a goose neck adapter and Goose neck hitch from factory.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone will defend the one they have, and you will get twelve more suggestions. I will only offer my thoughts, I have a Trailer Saver, I liked the idea of moving the hitch should I upgrade my current truck. Felt like if I put the air bags in the pin box I would have to leave it.
Best of luck, safe rides!
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)